Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Remembering  (Read 1472 times)

John R

Remembering
« on: June 16, 2010, 02:23:16 pm »

On a wonderful sunny June day, there I was in a cemetery. It was actually quite beautiful and peaceful. This image may look ominous and dark, but it is an impression that is best left to the individual to interpret. Added a second BW image.

JMR
« Last Edit: June 16, 2010, 05:46:39 pm by John R »

LoisWakeman

Remembering
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2010, 10:51:01 am »

Quote from: John R
On a wonderful sunny June day, there I was in a cemetery. It was actually quite beautiful and peaceful. This image may look ominous and dark, but it is an impression that is best left to the individual to interpret. Added a second BW image.

JMR
I like the first best - it is simple but powerful, almost crystalline. The second doesn't have the same impact for me, although the human presence is good.

Rob C

Remembering
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2010, 11:27:58 am »

Quote from: John R

JMR

Like the second one - how could I not? - it's a portrait of me going for my mental walk. God, I didn't know anyone was watching!

Gotta mind to sue.

Rob C

John R

Remembering
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2010, 07:59:54 pm »

Quote from: LoisWakeman
I like the first best - it is simple but powerful, almost crystalline. The second doesn't have the same impact for me, although the human presence is good.
Thanks for the comments, Lois and Rob. I am not usually disposed to explain how I achieved my results, not because of some secret but because it often detracts from the essence of what the viewer may experience, as Andre aptly explained in his posting of "Old man in Chiapas." Because we are having these interesting debates on digital manipulation, I thought why not.

It is the result of a happy experiment. I was taken by how the image looked when converted to BW. Then I was even more taken when I saw how a simple inversion lended itself to really simplifying and creating a feeling that I saw in the BW image. So it is a simple adjustment which I could not do except by means of digital. That's why I call most of my images "impressions."

Rob: So that was you! If you want to sue me, you should have the decency to walk a little closer to the middle of the pathway (or was that me walking askew), so that you can at least claim that you earned your money! This involved no manipulation save the BW conversion. I simply practiced walking down the path with my eyes on a blacked-out shutter for a few seconds. Sort of like shooting from a moving car or bike, but not as dangerous. A mental break walk, why that is precisely why I take my walks through the park and green areas of the city.

JMR
« Last Edit: June 17, 2010, 08:19:07 pm by John R »

Justan

• Justan-Elk.com
Remembering
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2010, 12:44:49 am »

Beautiful work John!
Pages: [1]   Go Up