Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: storing unused sheet paper flat or upright?  (Read 1789 times)

NickJB

storing unused sheet paper flat or upright?
« on: June 15, 2010, 08:24:15 pm »

Question I should know time. I'm accumulating quite a collection of inkjet papers, mostly in boxes, but all different sizes, and need to store them in my studio office without taking up too much space. Is it best to store them flat or can I store them upright, like books on a bookshelf - which might be the most space efficient.

Thanks!

Alan Goldhammer

• A Goldhammer Photography
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2010, 08:48:00 pm »

Quote from: NickJB
Question I should know time. I'm accumulating quite a collection of inkjet papers, mostly in boxes, but all different sizes, and need to store them in my studio office without taking up too much space. Is it best to store them flat or can I store them upright, like books on a bookshelf - which might be the most space efficient.

Thanks!
Store them flat, otherwise they will curl and you are likely to get head strikes if you don't de-curl prior to printing (this applies to printers such as the Epson 3880 that do not have a vacuum feed to keep the paper flat which is my only experience).

Alan

Paul Sumi

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2010, 12:51:58 am »

Quote from: Alan Goldhammer
Store them flat, otherwise they will curl and you are likely to get head strikes if you don't de-curl prior to printing (this applies to printers such as the Epson 3880 that do not have a vacuum feed to keep the paper flat which is my only experience).

Alan

+1!

Definitely for medium to large sheets, say 11x17 or bigger.  Smaller sheets don't seem to be a problem.  

francois

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2010, 03:05:54 am »

Quote from: Paul Sumi
+1!

Definitely for medium to large sheets, say 11x17 or bigger.  Smaller sheets don't seem to be a problem.
+1 here too. A4 boxes can be store upright, I've never had any problemt. I had almost no issue (upright) with the "old" Epson Archival matte paper, even with A3+ sheets but with the newer baryta papers, flat storage is the way to go. The store where I purchase my papers keeps all the boxes upright, even the large A2. This means that I can't use the paper immediately after getting back home.
Francois

Gemmtech

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2010, 05:08:26 pm »

ALWAYS store paper, plywood, wood, FLAT and ALWAYS store granite, marble, glass etc. on its' edge!  There is a reason for this method!  
Pages: [1]   Go Up