Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Update on Profiling Issues With Apple Computers Epson Printers and Photoshop  (Read 2663 times)

Simon J.A. Simpson

Thanks to Mark Dubovoy and Eric Chan Macintosh Leopard and Snow Leopard users now have a usable workaround to printing targets without colour management from Photoshop CS4 and CS5.

In the interests of completeness, clarity, and good communication may I add (in brief) what I have already posted on this and the Adobe forums.

I am convinced (as a Canon Printer user) that the same issue does also effect Canon printers (despite some detractors who have yet to provide conclusive evidence of the contrary).  Indeed, I would go as far to conclude that the issue, being as it seems certain to have arisen from the new Apple printer APIs, is not specific to any printer or manufacturer but will effect all printers from all manufacturers.

I can state with absolute certainty that the workaround does not work on Mac OS 10.4 (Tiger) – but I have not tested it with printers other than Canon – and that it does work on Snow Leopard 10.6.2 (10.6.3 testing to commence shortly).  Thanks to you, Mark and Eric !  I can also confirm that colour managed printing from 10.4.11 and 10.6.2 produces identical prints and is not, therefore, an issue.

Mark wonders why early takers of Photoshop CS5 have not taken issue with the inability to print without colour management.  Aside from weariness over the whole issue, I believe that everyone is hoping (soon) for the Adobe application which will enable untagged targets to be printed without colour management; which was announced at CS5's release.  Also, of course, we have all now developed our own solutions which include the aforementioned workaround, using Preview, or printing from an earlier version of Photoshop.

I must say that the new printer APIs in Snow Leopard are a great improvement, making the whole experience of printing much more straight forward and less error prone.  Once Adobe can give us the (longed-for) printing application I believe that we will have a much improved colour managed printing system on the Mac (ducks under the desk in anticipation of a deluge of posts disagreeing).
« Last Edit: June 15, 2010, 04:53:27 pm by SimonS »

Doyle Yoder

No real disagreement here as this is info is mostly true for old printer drivers when printing with applications that use Apple's new printing path.

However as new drivers get written we are no longer seeing the double profile problems. The one thing that seems to be a problem now is people are installing these new drivers on top of the old drivers which is creating many problems. Where the old drivers are complete removed and the new drivers are installed cleanly there does not appear to be problems. There are many. many accounts out there about this.

Given all that, there is still many combinations of OS version, application and driver version and don't forget PEBCAK that can cause any number of CM issues.

I have previously documented many issues and fixes that have existed and still exist, and have no intention of repeating them here.

Doyle

Shane Webster

Another possible solution is to print profiles from within LR.  Once Adobe/Apple/Epson (everyone points fingers so I just list all three in alphabetical order) fixed the printing issues with LR and enabled 16 bit printing, I started printing from within LR.  After upgrading to SL, I had some paper requiring profiling and I printed the profiles from within LR.  I used no sharpening, no adjustments, no output profile and set the image size to match its native size so LR performed no resizing.  It was until I read Mark's article that I realized there was a problem with PS and SL because I had been printing profiles from LR.  I haven't tried it with LR 3 to determine whether the printing path has changed, but it worked with LR 2.7.

John Rodriguez

• John Rodriguez Photography

I stumbled on this article this morning and am hoping it's the solution to my problem:

All of my prints have an orange/red tint and print slightly dark.

I've gotten around the darkness by adding a levels layer for print adjustments and bumping up the mid-range slightly. I'm not sure if this is normally expected or not - the prints are not extremely dark, and I'm comparing a lit up screen to reflected light off of paper.

As far as the orange/red tint - it's driving me nuts.  

Environment - Lightroom 1.1, PS4, Mac OS 10.5.8, Epson R1900, Espon Lustre Paper, Epson Lustre Profile, Colorvision Spyder 2

Usual worflow:

From PS4
Print => Let PS manage colors using Epson Lustre driver
In Epson driver => color management off, Epson Lustre driver

I've had the following theories-

- Maybe the Spyder 2 isn't up to snuff and I need to upgrade.  I doubt that's it though.  I have some images where I've used RGB curves to pull the color cast out of snow using RGB values to guide me.  If the Spyder was the issue the screen and RGB numbers shouldn't match up.

- The canned Epson profile isn't great - need to get a custom profile made.  Once again I kind of doubt the canned profile for their own paper would be that far off.  I installed the latest driver a couple of months ago so I think I'm up to date.

I followed the workflow in Mark's article this morning but got a VERY dark print as a result.

Ideas?

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com

Quote from: djjohnr
I stumbled on this article this morning and am hoping it's the solution to my problem:

No...it's not. This relates ONLY to the process of printing out ICC profile making targets, NOT regular printing issues. You really need to post a new thread because this one is not going to be useful for you.

John Rodriguez

• John Rodriguez Photography

Quote from: Schewe
No...it's not. This relates ONLY to the process of printing out ICC profile making targets, NOT regular printing issues. You really need to post a new thread because this one is not going to be useful for you.

Will do, thank you.
Pages: [1]   Go Up