Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 10D or 1D ?  (Read 4884 times)

d2frette

• http://
10D or 1D ?
« on: June 30, 2003, 12:17:54 pm »

Jonathan -

So the 1Ds has the same focusing system as my EOS-3?  That's a sweet AF system.  I hate my 3-point D-30.  It not only has fewer points, it can't determine focus very well.  

If I had a 10D or some other 7pt focusing system, it may be better.  However, the EOS-3 45pt AF system is so superior, I'd be inclined to say that Rainer would be much happier with less resolution and a better AF system.  Perhaps I should say "I" would be much happier with less resolution and a better AF (but since I have a measly D30, I have both less resolution and a poor AF).

Rainer - Why do you need/want a seperate body for 'birding'?
David M. Frette.  
Programming, Photo

Mihovil Anic

10D or 1D ?
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2003, 09:39:28 pm »

Hi Rainer,

You can find some RAW samples from Canon EOS 1D on http://www.phaseone.com/ web site. Go to download trial software (CaptureOne DSLR) and there on the bottom of the page you'll find sample images. It's three zipped raw files around 12Mb in size, (wolf, bear and butterfly). I hope that this helps.

Cheers,
Mihovil

Mihovil Anic

10D or 1D ?
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2003, 09:38:45 pm »

Hi,

Jonathan, thank you, I'm downloading it now. How do you find 35-350mm L lens coupled with 1Ds?

Rainer, I'm looking for images that are wellexecuted (good focus, no camera shakes...) and preferably done with the lenses which will do justice to 1Ds. I myself am looking at purchasing 17-40 L, 70-200 f4 L, and this will be my starting kit. If the finance is good I'll be adding 400 f5.6 L and 100 USM macro, so any raw with those lenses would be greatly appriciated.

Unfortunately, no web site yet.
Thanks

DaveT

10D or 1D ?
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2003, 12:28:41 pm »

This may sound like a simple answer, but why not just crop your 1Ds files to the same field of view as the 10D's and be done with it? Using the 1D for your job (low light generally) may not work out for you because of the higher noise levels of the CCD sensors, not to mention, as you mentioned, the lower resolution.

Dave

Rainer SLP

• RS-Fotografia
10D or 1D ?
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2003, 02:30:01 pm »

Again a question for making a decision.

Now that my film bodies are gathering dust on them after buying a 1Ds, I would like to make a decision for a second digital body and my intention is to take advantage of the crop factor.

This second body the purpose is for Wildlife and here specially for birding.

My tendency goes for the 10D because of resolution, but on the other side I am not so convinced because of the AF speed and therefore the 1D is also a choice.

All my lenses are "L". 300mm f2.8 IS, 500mm f4.0 IS, 70-200 f2.8 IS, etc.

Could somebody who has a 1D lend me a original RAW file to make some test prints? and to see how big I could blow them up by resizing?

It understands itself of course that solely for that purpose. I know you may be reluctant about piracy and I am fully aware what copyright means! I have been a victim of copyright infringements myself. If yes you could upload it on my site via ftp. Please e-mail me. Thanks.

What would you take? if you would be in my position.

regards Rainer
Thanks and regards Rainer
 I am here for

Jonathan Wienke

• http://visual-vacations.com/
10D or 1D ?
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2003, 12:07:24 pm »

The D30 has a 3-point AF system, the 10D has a 7 point AF, and the 1D has the same 45-point AF as the 1Ds. The 10D has a 1.6x crop, and the 1D has a 1.2x crop factor, which isn't that much different than the 1Ds. If I get another body, it would be a 10D due to the better resolution, better high ISO performance, and higher crop factor. I've had reasonably good results shooting birds with an EOS Rebel TI, which has the same 7-point AF as the 10D.

Jonathan Wienke

10D or 1D ?
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2003, 05:47:43 pm »

I've done some wildlife shooting with an EOS Rebel TI, (my lens arrived a month before my 1Ds, and I had to shoot with something) which has the same 7-point AF as the 10D. It did a fairly good job of tracking birds in-flight, even at short distances as long as you could keep the bird on one of the focus areas. It isn't as snappy as the 1Ds's AF but it works well most of the time.

ricwis

• http://www.ricwis.com
10D or 1D ?
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2003, 08:25:41 pm »

I have posted two RAW image files from the Canon 10D on my website at ricwis photo for download.  Feel free to download and use these files as you need.  Sorry I don't have a 1D RAW file, but these may be helpful to someone interested in working with a 10D file.
Rich Wisler
Wildlife and Scenic Photogra

Rainer SLP

• RS-Fotografia
10D or 1D ?
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2003, 10:44:59 pm »

Hi Mihovil,

Thank you very, very much. It was so near that I did not see. I have the licensed version of Capture One DSLR and I am already taking pictures with the 1Ds.

Thanks Again and I just downloaded it.
 I am here for

Mihovil Anic

10D or 1D ?
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2003, 07:59:05 pm »

Can anybody please share some RAW files from Canon EOS 1Ds? I'm two months away from getting 1Ds and would like to see for myself how good is the camera. All copyright issues apply.

Thanks

Rainer SLP

• RS-Fotografia
10D or 1D ?
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2003, 09:25:55 pm »

Hi Mihovil,

What kind of images are you searching for?

Do you have a website and what is the URL?
 I am here for

Rainer SLP

• RS-Fotografia
10D or 1D ?
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2003, 10:02:45 pm »

Mihovil,

send me an e-mail.I have something for you
 I am here for

Jonathan Wienke

10D or 1D ?
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2003, 02:26:09 am »

How do you find 35-350mm L lens coupled with 1Ds?
In general, I am happy with it. My 35-350 has some noticeable chromatic aberration and softness in the corners at the wide end, which disappears around 80-90mm. I use theimagingfactory's Debarrelizer plugin (which also corrects CA) a lot on wide-angle shots. Other than that, it meets the demands of the 1Ds fairly well. At 135mm, it makes a fairly decent macro lens, magnification of .25x, which isn't enough to fill the frame with a grain of rice, but is enough to get nice flower macro shots. This lens on a 10D would make a great wildlife/birding rig; the worst 90% of the lens performance is outside the 10D's sensor area, and the 1.6x crop factor would make it a 56-560mm that you can still hand-hold. The 25-250 isn't the best at anything, but if you can only afford one lens, it's the one to have, due to its exceptional versatility. Eventually I would like to get a 10D, put the 35-350 on it, and get a 24-70 f/2.8L to put on the 1Ds.

d2frette

• http://
10D or 1D ?
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2003, 10:24:05 am »

Does the 10D have the same focusing mechanism as the D30?  If so, stay away from it for bird photos!  I have a D30 and I was out yesterday shooting wildlife and all my bird photos (AF on) were blurry.  Very few were motion, even the stills were off just a little.  But it is off enough that I can't use them.  Fortunately I used MF for most of the day.

Perhaps the 1.6x factor makes the focusing bad, as it thinks it's focused but it's really not.

- Dave
David M. Frette.  
Programming, Photo

Rainer SLP

• RS-Fotografia
10D or 1D ?
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2003, 07:05:38 pm »

Rainer - Why do you need/want a seperate body for 'birding'?

Avoid changing lenses and a back up for the 1st Body.

I am inclined to the 10D but the AF is slowing me down.
 I am here for

Jonathan Wienke

10D or 1D ?
« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2003, 08:51:15 pm »

1Ds RAW sample, taken at ISO 100 with a 35-350mm L lens @ 135mm, f5.0, 1/400 sec. 13 megabytes. There is some sensor dust visible on the left edge of the frame, the 35-350 is not dust sealed like the 1Ds itself. The depth of field is rather shallow because of the wide aperture, this was just a quick shot out the door of the office where I work at something not too ugly.

Mihovil Anic

10D or 1D ?
« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2003, 10:31:57 pm »

I've submitted request form on your web site so you'll be receiving my e-mail address. Thanks for helping me out.

Mihovil
Pages: [1]   Go Up