Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: ditching ACR for Lightroom - Any potential headaches?  (Read 1958 times)

Philmar

• Office drone by day - Photoenthusiast on weekends
    • https://www.flickr.com/photos/phil_marion/albums
ditching ACR for Lightroom - Any potential headaches?
« on: June 15, 2010, 02:20:20 pm »

Currently I use Camera Raw/CS4 for rendering my RAW files. The high cost of PS upgrading has lead me to consider switching to Lightroom as the upgrade cost is significantly cheaper. Over the course of my lifetime I expect to save a huge chunk of money if I only need to upgrade LR.

Currently I have over 10,000 files converted in ACR with the data saved in sidecar .xmp files.

Are there any issues I need to be aware of before I switch to LR? Will I be able to open my current RAW files in LR without having to re-process them? i.e. will LR accurately ‘read’ the .xmp files I created in ACR?
I am just curious if there are any issues with switching from ACR to LR that I haven’t anticipated. For example, is LR rendering of previews a lot slower if it neads to read .xmp info generated previously in LR?
I would like to think the switch from ACR to LR would be seamless & uneventful. Is there anything you good folks think I should be aware of?

GrahamB3

« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2010, 08:52:56 pm »

Quote from: Philmar
Currently I use Camera Raw/CS4 for rendering my RAW files. The high cost of PS upgrading has lead me to consider switching to Lightroom as the upgrade cost is significantly cheaper. Over the course of my lifetime I expect to save a huge chunk of money if I only need to upgrade LR.

Currently I have over 10,000 files converted in ACR with the data saved in sidecar .xmp files.

Are there any issues I need to be aware of before I switch to LR? Will I be able to open my current RAW files in LR without having to re-process them? i.e. will LR accurately ‘read’ the .xmp files I created in ACR?
I am just curious if there are any issues with switching from ACR to LR that I haven’t anticipated. For example, is LR rendering of previews a lot slower if it neads to read .xmp info generated previously in LR?
I would like to think the switch from ACR to LR would be seamless & uneventful. Is there anything you good folks think I should be aware of?

Why don't you try the free 30 day trial and decide if it's right for you?

Graham

Frodo

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2010, 09:08:55 pm »

I used LR1.4 with Photoshop 6 - the latter because the punitive costs of CS in NZ make it a difficult investment if images don't earn money.  I then went to Photoshop Elements 7, which provided access to ACR and most of the photoshop tools I needed.  For workflow reasons, I stopped using LR and so didn't upgrade to LR2.

I have now upgraded to LR3 and so have many images previously converted in PSE/ACR.  LR3 reads the cr2 and xmp files and the RAW settings (e.g. recovery, etc.) are included in the RAW conversion.  LR3 also gives the option of updating to the 2010 settings in ACR6.1 in LR.  This can be done automatically for entire collections.  My initial, rather superficial analysis doesn't show much difference when using the 2010 conversion. This is distinct from the improvements in image quality between ACR5 and 6 (as well as the lens correction feature, among others) which swung me towards an upgrade.  I understand that the conversion option only relates to how the xmp file is interpreted by ACR6.1, not the algorithms that decode the RAW file (but I could well be wrong).

The conversion is all rather seamless and painless.  I can't comment on speed as I am running a 2.8 GHz Pentium 4, which is pretty slow (but still acceptable).

Cheers

Philmar

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2010, 12:37:37 pm »

Quote from: GrahamB3
Why don't you try the free 30 day trial and decide if it's right for you?

Graham

Thanks for the suggestion. Eventually I will. But I like to garner as much info before I do that. That will ensure I have the most information at my disposal during the 30 day trial period.
I'd like to get any information before I decide to download software. I see a lot of horror posts about difficulty installing Adobe software - especially after trial or beta copies were installed previously.

Philmar

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2010, 12:39:55 pm »

Does LR3 leverage the graphics display card's GPU much like CS4?

madmanchan

• Web
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2010, 05:29:08 pm »

No, LR3 does not generally use the GPU for accelerated 2D display (with the exception of the slideshow module in a few cases).
Eric Chan

GrahamB3

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2010, 06:27:20 pm »

Thanks for the suggestion. Eventually I will. But I like to garner as much info before I do that. That will ensure I have the most information at my disposal during the 30 day trial period.
I'd like to get any information before I decide to download software. I see a lot of horror posts about difficulty installing Adobe software - especially after trial or beta copies were installed previously.

This is a good video of Lightroom 3 at Adobe TV Link. Be sure to view the other episodes for additional tips.

Graham
Pages: [1]   Go Up