Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Colormunki Problems  (Read 8122 times)

walter.sk

Colormunki Problems
« on: June 15, 2010, 11:17:15 am »

I just installed a Colormunki and experienced some problems.  I have a Windows7 64-bit quad core computer with 8Gb RAM.  My monitor is an NEC LCD3090WQXI usually calibrated and profiled with the SpectraviewII software (latest version and i1Displayii colorimeter,) and I print with an HP Z3100GP PS.  I actually bought the Colormunki for my wife's system and was testing it out.

I installed the Colormunki software, and then plugged in the Colormunki.  The software did not recognize the Colormunki until I rebooted the computer, leaving the Colormunki plugged in directly to a USB2 port on the computer.  The Colormunki software then recognized the Colormunki.

Next I tried opening the Spectraview II software, which did not recognize the Colormunki.  I opened the Preferences and hit the button to automatically recognize the Colormunki, to no avail.  After several times of starting and closing SVII, and various combinations of plugging in, unplugging and replugging the Colormunki, I was able to start SVII and do 2 rounds of calibration and profiling of the display.

Next day I booted the computer, plugged in the Munki, and started the Munki software.  I was able to calibrate the Munki but then the software indicated that the Munki was not plugged in.  I checked in Devices and Printers, and it was there and working.  After rebooting I was able to use the Munki software just fine but I have not been able to get the SVII software to find the Munki.

Has anybody experienced problems of this sort?

Also, my wife is still using a CRT display.  I was surprised to find no CRT choice on the Munki.  Is there any way to profile a CRT with it?

And, finally, is there any advantage to using the Munki with Spectraview II as opposed to my i1D2 colorimeter, which is not the newer type optimized for the wider gamut monitor?  I know the Munki will read the monitor's primaries more accurately, but is it as good with the darkest levels?

loonsailor

Colormunki Problems
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2010, 11:29:46 am »

On a mac, colormunki installs a service which claims exclusive use of the colormunki hardware.  It can be easily stopped when I run spectraview, which frees up the hardware, then restarted when spectraview is done.  If I forget to stop it, spectraview can't find the colormunki.  I think the same thing is true on the PC, though the details of how to start and stop the service is, no doubt, different.  Check your documentation and/or have a look at the colormunki web site for details.

probep

Colormunki Problems
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2010, 12:53:14 pm »

YEs, the same thing is on a PC. The quote from SpectraView "ReadMe":
-Rite ColorMunki color sensor:
If the X-Rite ColorMunki software is installed, it will prevent NEC Display Wall Calibrator from accessing the device even if the main ColorMunki application is not currently running.

If you are using the ColorMunki software prior to version 1.1.0:
NEC Display Wall Calibrator will detect if the ColorMunki software is running and give the option of closing it automatically.
To use the ColorMunki software again after NEC Display Wall Calibrator has closed it, you must run the colormunki.exe application from the Startup menu in Windows.

If you are using the ColorMunki software version 1.1.0 or newer:
You must turn off the ColorMunki Service in the Windows Control Panel > "X-Rite Device Services" to allow NEC Display Wall Calibrator to access the device.
To use the ColorMunki software again you must turn the ColorMunki Service back on.

walter.sk

Colormunki Problems
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2010, 01:39:42 pm »

Quote from: probep
YEs, the same thing is on a PC. The quote from SpectraView "ReadMe":
Thanks for both replies.  After turning off the Colormunki service in the Control Panel, SpectraView found the Munki just fine, and it was easy enough to turn the service back on to use the ColorMunki software.

Colormunki worked fine on my wife's Mac with OS10.6.  She is using an ancient LaCie 21" CRT monitor, which we had profiled with the i1Displayii colorimeter and the HP APS software.  I tried using the Munki on it using the ColorMunki software, the LCD setting, and under the advanced options I set the luminance target for 80 and let the Munki go through its paces.

The resultant profile seems to be OK.  But I think we are still better off using the i1Displayii setup.  Any thoughts?
Pages: [1]   Go Up