Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Ruins Outside of Charlton  (Read 2075 times)

Josh-H

• Wild Nature Photo Travel
Ruins Outside of Charlton
« on: June 14, 2010, 06:26:55 am »

Found this old building on the way back from a shoot in NSW (more info on my Blog).
Comments and thoughts welcome as always.
[attachment=22601:_74X3787_Edit2010.jpg]
Wild Nature Photo Travel

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2010, 09:11:31 am »

Josh, This is the kind of photograph I really like and I'd like to see a lot more like this one. But the way the distant door is centered in the nearer one kills the sense of depth that should be there. If you can get back to the subject you might want to try a slightly different perspective. Also, a bit of Photoshop work on the brightnesses might help to separate the two elements. If it were mine, I'd try lowering the illumination a bit in the near room.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

fredjeang

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2010, 10:16:11 am »

Russ, I do not often disagree with you, but this time I am exactly on the opposite, so I can not resist to say it as it generally does not happen.  

I find the composition well done actually. Of course what you say is true and would work perfectly but Josh composition works actually very well for me.
What I like in this composition is that I perceive a clear intention, in the sense that I perceive a conscient choice from Josh.

If I had to lowered the lights, I'll do it in the main room walls, and keep illuminated the other room in the door.

Nice picture.

By the way, I'm always amazed why the ruins and abandoned places are so popular in the North American imagery. Is it because of cultural heritage?
In Europe we tend to avoid these; maybe because we are inundated of ruined castles? Do not know the reason but it always caught my attention.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2010, 10:17:21 am by fredjeang »

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2010, 12:48:44 pm »

Quote from: fredjeang
By the way, I'm always amazed why the ruins and abandoned places are so popular in the North American imagery. Is it because of cultural heritage?
In Europe we tend to avoid these; maybe because we are inundated of ruined castles? Do not know the reason but it always caught my attention.

Fred, I guess we can agree to disagree. I certainly think the idea was good, but if I'd been shooting the picture I think I'd have tried to cut off the left side of the distant door, and perhaps shown a bit of what's outside. On the other hand, were I to see what's outside I might change my mind.

Regarding your question, I'd say the answer probably is "wabi sabi." If you're not familiar with that Japanese idea go to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wabi-sabi. I think the best condensed explanation of that attitude toward the beauty of transience I've read is Richard Powell's statement: "Wabi-sabi nurtures all that is authentic by acknowledging three simple realities: nothing lasts, nothing is finished, and nothing is perfect."
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

fredjeang

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2010, 12:59:38 pm »

Quote from: RSL
Fred, I guess we can agree to disagree. I certainly think the idea was good, but if I'd been shooting the picture I think I'd have tried to cut off the left side of the distant door, and perhaps shown a bit of what's outside. On the other hand, were I to see what's outside I might change my mind.

Regarding your question, I'd say the answer probably is "wabi sabi." If you're not familiar with that Japanese idea go to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wabi-sabi. I think the best condensed explanation of that attitude toward the beauty of transience I've read is Richard Powell's statement: "Wabi-sabi nurtures all that is authentic by acknowledging three simple realities: nothing lasts, nothing is finished, and nothing is perfect."
I do agree with Wabi-Sabi.
The irony, is that many people are going to plastic surgery. They probably want to last forever.
Well Russ, last time I watched your pics of Asia, and some are impressive, I was thinking exactly of that concept.
But I also remembered that you made a pilot carreer, and have you never been tempted by photographying the old planes? Because you might have access to those I imagine.

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2010, 03:30:32 pm »

Love the door within the doorway - wouldn't change a thing.

Mike.
If your mind is attuned t

Josh-H

« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2010, 06:21:36 am »

Thanks all for the feedback - greatly appreciated.
Wild Nature Photo Travel

button

• http://
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2010, 04:23:19 pm »

I suspect you centered the door within the door to create tension- the eye sees the dirt/wood floor foreground and expects depth, but the door's position flattens the scene.  Like it or not, it's a pretty cool effect, and it does make one take a second look.

John

Josh-H

« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2010, 07:17:07 am »

I have posted a second image to my Blog from the ruins - similar to the first (so I wont make a whole new thread for it here).
Wild Nature Photo Travel
Pages: [1]   Go Up