Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Monterey, CA  (Read 2102 times)

philsokol

Monterey, CA
« on: June 12, 2010, 07:42:21 pm »

I'm heading up to Monterey (Pebble Beach, actually), CA later next week for a few days.  Although I've been many times (my parents live there), this will be the first with the full camera set up.  I know about some locations right on the coast like Asilomar and  a couple along 17 Mile Drive for rocks and surf.  I may try Elkhorn Slough as well.  Any other specific suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

Phil

Rocco Penny

Monterey, CA
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2010, 11:47:08 pm »

If you have a telephoto lens, the harbor at Moss Landing had a pair of sea otters when I was last there.
They were feeding freely where you could see them from the parking lot of one of the eateries right there at the harbor.
Maybe they won't be there, but the drive and picturesque scenes you're bound to find make it worth it.
Fields in salinas,
be ready for the sunrise/set
check for low tides if you have some way to shoot in that environment, it always yields some shots.
Pfeiffer beach is pretty dramatic,
so is Andrew Molera.  I'm not sure when the monarch butterflies do their thing, but that warrants further investigation.  Don't miss your opportunity to wander aimlessly throughout Monterey.  Check out the public library.  It's a nice one.
Lots of cool stuff everywhere.  I forget the name of the place, but there is a pear tart that gets made in Monterey that will dang near make you dream of pear tarts.
Find that place.
Mission Carmel,  Los Padres National Forest,
of course the boats etc.
Wander the back roads toward King City if you like rural motifs.

philsokol

Monterey, CA
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2010, 11:16:55 am »

Thanks Rocco!

I've been doing more research online and found mention of the sea otters at Moss landing - definitely worth a trip.  Also was looking at Molera and Pfeiffer, so thanks for confirming their interest.  I also found a little local park, Mill Creek Redwoods Preserve, near there that looks really interesting as well.  I ordinarily wouldn't say this, but I'm praying for some fog!

Phil

P.S.  Monarchs are in the late fall/winter, so they'll have to wait until Thanksgiving...

Rocco Penny

Monterey, CA
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2010, 12:14:56 pm »

I'm excited just thinking about it!
Mill Creek huh?
Sounds great.
Fog means drippy redwoods so plan on cover for your rig.
There are some cool chances to get blanket fog and low clouds below elevation if you find a hilly area.
Generally speaking it'll burn off later if it's there early,
but in the case of low clouds, just depends.
I often get shots from as little as 300 feet above sea level,
but find that 1000 feet+ is usually above the clouds for our purpose here.
There are many hills in the Coast Ranges that are above 500 feet, and often the crest of the range will be above 2000 feet
This leads me to be prepared,
bring water and a power bar
you can get amazingly diverse captures in the same day with a bit of energy.
Good luck,

WombatHorror

Monterey, CA
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2010, 01:31:11 am »

Quote from: philsokol
I'm heading up to Monterey (Pebble Beach, actually), CA later next week for a few days.  Although I've been many times (my parents live there), this will be the first with the full camera set up.  I know about some locations right on the coast like Asilomar and  a couple along 17 Mile Drive for rocks and surf.  I may try Elkhorn Slough as well.  Any other specific suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

Phil

Certainly don't forget to hit up Point Lobos! Really awesome place for photography and it's right there.
Some ways farther south and certainly not right in Monterey/Carmel is Julia-Pfeiffer Burns park with the famous McCove waterfall. And along the way you'd cross the famous Bixby Bridge which can also make for nice photos (as well as whatever else you see driving along).

And the jellyfish in the aquarium make for some pretty cool photos of course.

And yeah 17 mile drive is nice, the lone cypress is almost cliche, but hey it's cliche for a reason.

Ken Doo

• Carmel Fine Art Printing & Reproduction
Monterey, CA
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2010, 12:27:23 pm »

Quote from: LarryBaum
....Some ways farther south and certainly not right in Monterey/Carmel is Julia-Pfeiffer Burns park with the famous McCove waterfall....
(sic)

It's actually "McWay" falls (just in case you're searching)...  Very easy access and parking (about $10)

pfigen

• http://www.peterfigen.com
Monterey, CA
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2010, 12:07:44 am »

I know your trip is probably over by now, but having grown up in Monterey myself, here are a few spots that have been good to me over the years.

•Spreckels, Ca. just off Hwy 68 west of Salinas
•The Old Coast Road from Bixby Creek Bridge to Molera State Park - great mountain bike ride as well
•The commercial pier in Monterey, not the tourist one though
•Carmel Valley Road - all the way to Arroyo Seco - the further up Carmel Valley Road, the better

Pages: [1]   Go Up