Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Color Checker and ICC profiles  (Read 5621 times)

laughingbear

Color Checker and ICC profiles
« on: June 12, 2010, 06:50:08 pm »

Greetings,

I am trying to get my head around the color checker pro in conjunction with use of capture one pro.

Currently, I am bringing my files (aloha900) into C1 to set black.white point and other basic settings, then go to lightroom, and eventually photoshop.

C1 uses dedicated ICC profiles and this is where I am wondering whether it is not wrong to apply the color checker afterwards in lightroom.

What is your take?

Best
Georg

Czornyj

• zarzadzaniebarwa.pl
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2010, 06:26:24 pm »

Quote from: laughingbear
Greetings,

I am trying to get my head around the color checker pro in conjunction with use of capture one pro.

Currently, I am bringing my files (aloha900) into C1 to set black.white point and other basic settings, then go to lightroom, and eventually photoshop.

C1 uses dedicated ICC profiles and this is where I am wondering whether it is not wrong to apply the color checker afterwards in lightroom.

What is your take?

Best
Georg

You can create a DNG camera profile from CC24 image for LR (using X-Rite Passport plug-in), or you can create an ICC camera profile from CC24 image for C1 using thrid party software (ProfileMaker, MonacoProfiler, Argyll CMS etc.).

Marcin Kałuża | [URL=http://zarzadzaniebarwa

laughingbear

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2010, 09:21:21 pm »

Quote from: Czornyj
You can create a DNG camera profile from CC24 image for LR (using X-Rite Passport plug-in), or you can create an ICC camera profile from CC24 image for C1 using thrid party software (ProfileMaker, MonacoProfiler, Argyll CMS etc.).

Hi Czornyj and thanks for the reply,

See, I know some people who do the following.

Develop in C1 and applying ICC profiles

Then they go to LR and apply the CCPassport profile they created with their software

In my opinion this is wrong, as you apply a profile twice, I stand to be corrected.

Czornyj

• zarzadzaniebarwa.pl
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2010, 02:29:39 am »

Hi Czornyj and thanks for the reply,

See, I know some people who do the following.

Develop in C1 and applying ICC profiles

Then they go to LR and apply the CCPassport profile they created with their software

In my opinion this is wrong, as you apply a profile twice, I stand to be corrected.

That sounds odd - maybe there's something I don't know, but you can apply the CC Passport profile only to a RAW file, so I simply can't imagine how could someone apply a CCP profile to a developed jpeg or tiff. The camera profile can be applyed only when you're rendering the colors from RAW, so it's immposible to do it twice...

laughingbear

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2010, 06:53:32 am »

Quote from: Czornyj
That sounds odd - maybe there's something I don't know, but you can apply the CC Passport profile only to a RAW file, so I simply can't imagine how could someone apply a CCP profile to a developed jpeg or tiff. The camera profile can be applyed only when you're rendering the colors from RAW, so it's immposible to do it twice...

My understanding is this, C1Pro uses camera specific ICC profiles that they created.

Color Checker Passport uses DNG profiles.

I guess that is what confuses me, as I am not sure what exactly the difference is.

I was talking to M.R. about that, afaik he does both, using the ICC profiles in C1, and then the DNG profiles in Lightroom.

Would that be right Michael?

Czornyj

• zarzadzaniebarwa.pl
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2010, 07:58:37 am »

My understanding is this, C1Pro uses camera specific ICC profiles that they created.

Color Checker Passport uses DNG profiles.

I guess that is what confuses me, as I am not sure what exactly the difference is.
There's no difference - both are rendering colors while converting the RAW data into RGB editing space. The only difference is camera profile format - C1 uses ICC compliant camera profiles, while Adobe decided to create it's own DNG camera profiles standard.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2010, 07:58:52 am by Czornyj »
Pages: [1]   Go Up