Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Safari 5 Vs what on mac?  (Read 2306 times)

Dick Roadnight

Safari 5 Vs what on mac?
« on: June 12, 2010, 07:18:35 am »

Hi, All...

When I gat my mac, I used safari...

When I got bored of Safari not being able to access websites I changed to Firefox

Now they have launched Safari 5 I thought that I would try it.

...but the text seems small on my Eizo CG 211, and worse on the 17" mac book pro... but Cmd + fixed it.

I like the sizable edit box we get with Safari, and not with Firefox.

Edit: Safari 5 died trying to display "recent professional works" page 53, so I am now back on Firefox.

« Last Edit: June 12, 2010, 07:33:44 am by Dick Roadnight »
Hasselblad H4, Sinar P3 monorail view camera, Schneider Apo-digitar lenses

fredjeang

Safari 5 Vs what on mac?
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2010, 08:27:49 am »

Quote from: Dick Roadnight
Hi, All...

When I got bored of Safari not being able to access websites I changed to Firefox

...but the text seems small on my Eizo CG 211, and worse on the 17" mac book pro... but Cmd + fixed it.

I like the sizable edit box we get with Safari, and not with Firefox.

Edit: Safari 5 died trying to display "recent professional works" page 53, so I am now back on Firefox.
Dick, something must be wrong somewhere,
I just checked "recent professional works" page 53 with the #5 and everything is perfect.

« Last Edit: June 12, 2010, 08:31:27 am by fredjeang »

RobSaecker

• robsaecker.com
Safari 5 Vs what on mac?
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2010, 10:57:43 am »

I'm with Fred, that page opens without a problem for me as well. You might try deleting Safari's cache: ~/Library/Caches/com.apple.Safari/Caches.db, and maybe the webpage previews as well.

I prefer Camino to Firefox, FWIW, and there's Chrome and Opera to try too. Lots of options...
Rob
photo blog - http://robsaecker.com

Dick Roadnight

Safari 5 Vs what on mac?
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2010, 11:11:34 am »

Quote from: RobSaecker
I'm with Fred, that page opens without a problem for me as well. You might try deleting Safari's cache: ~/Library/Caches/com.apple.Safari/Caches.db, and maybe the webpage previews as well.

I prefer Camino to Firefox, FWIW, and there's Chrome and Opera to try too. Lots of options...
I got the problem regularly with Safari 4, but I am now back on Safari 5 in the hope that I can send a screen shot of the problem to Apple... but the problem has not recurred.

There is a Safari/empty cache menu option to delete the cash, which I have now used.

RobSaecker

• robsaecker.com
Safari 5 Vs what on mac?
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2010, 01:37:45 pm »

Dick,

sending Apple a screenshot is going to be less useful than sending the crashdump, which it will do automatically unless you have disabled that feature. You should see a dialog after a crash asking if you want to send info to Apple, just click yes.
Rob
photo blog - http://robsaecker.com

Pelao

Safari 5 Vs what on mac?
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2010, 01:46:02 pm »

I have Safari, Firefox and Chrome installed.

Generally, I have used Safari. It has never hesitated to load anything for me, and my bookmarks are kept in sync on 4 Macs using Mobile Me. I have never liked Firefox, but only because of the aesthetics and UI. It has had the great advantage of some cool plugins, such as grabbing flash video and downloading it to your drive. Safari 5 not has plugin extensions, so that advantage is gone.

Chrome seems good, but offers me no advantages over Safari.

Dick Roadnight

Safari 5 Vs what on mac?
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2010, 04:19:39 pm »

Hi, All...

I had this problem three times in a row trying to access this page today... and have sent screen shots to apple.

francois

Safari 5 Vs what on mac?
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2010, 04:55:47 am »

I had this problem three times in a row trying to access this page today... and have sent screen shots to apple.
Does this problem also happen if you use a different user account?
Francois

DaveLon

Safari 5 Vs what on mac?
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2010, 10:13:47 am »

Running Safari 5.0 (6533.16) on a quad core MacPro 10.6.3 and having none of the described issues.

Dave

Pages: [1]   Go Up