Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Spyder3 SR or Munki for Imac 27?  (Read 2522 times)

natas

Spyder3 SR or Munki for Imac 27?
« on: June 11, 2010, 11:42:50 am »

Hey guys,

I have used a Huey pro in the past for monitor calibration but I want to upgrade to a full solution (monitor + print).

Can anyone give me opinions on what would be a better purchase? My monitor is a Imac 27 and I use an Epson 7900 for printing and OSX 10.6

My main concern is getting the prints to look right. As usual I sometimes get dark prints which I know are the result of the monitor being to bright.

hsmeets

« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2010, 04:41:21 am »

Quote from: natas
Hey guys,

I have used a Huey pro in the past for monitor calibration but I want to upgrade to a full solution (monitor + print).

Can anyone give me opinions on what would be a better purchase? My monitor is a Imac 27 and I use an Epson 7900 for printing and OSX 10.6

My main concern is getting the prints to look right. As usual I sometimes get dark prints which I know are the result of the monitor being to bright.

Both will do the job but differently and have different functionality in creating printer/paper profiles, but be aware of the fact that screen-print matching is also a function of under which conditions you look at a print. calibrating your screen to 6500K/2.2 with a 100cd/m2 brightness and looking at the print with a 40W tungsten bulb mounted at the ceiling will not lead to a screen-print match. You'll need a normalized viewing conditions to look at prints. The caveat is that the targets you calibrate/profile against (screen/print) basically never match the intensity and color temp of the viewing light of prints when hung on a wall (at least in common houses, private people, office hallways)....

Cheers,

Huib

natas

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2010, 11:33:35 am »

Quote from: hsmeets
Both will do the job but differently and have different functionality in creating printer/paper profiles, but be aware of the fact that screen-print matching is also a function of under which conditions you look at a print. calibrating your screen to 6500K/2.2 with a 100cd/m2 brightness and looking at the print with a 40W tungsten bulb mounted at the ceiling will not lead to a screen-print match. You'll need a normalized viewing conditions to look at prints. The caveat is that the targets you calibrate/profile against (screen/print) basically never match the intensity and color temp of the viewing light of prints when hung on a wall (at least in common houses, private people, office hallways)....

I understand that, and I always evaluate my prints under proper light.

The room I work in for editing has moderate lighting (just my preference)

What I am looking for is a good solution. The huey pro I have does an OK job, but it tends to leave a magenta cast on one of my monitors. I have as my primary a Imac 27, and a H LP2065 as my secondary. I also need something that can help control the Imac, I have the brightness turned way down right now but still end up with a monitor that is way to bright when compared to my prints.

hsmeets

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2010, 12:42:36 pm »

Quote from: natas
I understand that, and I always evaluate my prints under proper light.

The room I work in for editing has moderate lighting (just my preference)

What I am looking for is a good solution. The huey pro I have does an OK job, but it tends to leave a magenta cast on one of my monitors. I have as my primary a Imac 27, and a H LP2065 as my secondary. I also need something that can help control the Imac, I have the brightness turned way down right now but still end up with a monitor that is way to bright when compared to my prints.

It's hard to diagnose such things remotely.

Do you have lightmeter that has a white dome? set it to ISO 100, 1 second shutter and when measured at the level of the print (relative to the lightsource) it should give you an aperture between 4.5 and 5.6  (which should match with a screen brightness around 100cd/m2

The brightness control of the new 27" inch mac's was improved greatly: I have it set at 80cd/m2 and got there easily (the
 slider in preferences is just below half way [attachment=22574:Schermaf...18.26.49.png]).

The spyder elite software lets you designate one display as master and calibrate a second or more against that display (and not individually calibrate against 6500/2.2 again) but i have no experience how well it works.

Cheers,

Huib
Pages: [1]   Go Up