Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Leica S2 or Hasselblad H4D40  (Read 4965 times)

design_freak

Leica S2 or Hasselblad H4D40
« on: June 11, 2010, 09:48:18 am »

A terrible dilemma, what to choose? Leica is a new structure, all of her delight. I wonder if this only as a momentary infatuation (new equipment) whether the equipment is actually worth the money. Will the real pros use it, or is it just a myth. The myth that drives the sales of brand. (M9 wealthy amateurs buy because they think that the pros use it) I would like to know your opinion on this subject. What would you choose? I am convinced of Hasselblad equipment, but I want to make sure that my decision is right. Hasselblad has a whole system, multiple lenses, the perfect tilt & shift. Excellent software. Long time exposure, low noise, etc. Price is also attractive.

BR
Design Freak
Best regards,
DF

mtomalty

• http://www.marktomalty.com
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2010, 12:37:08 pm »

Deleted while I reconsider a few of my original points

Mark
« Last Edit: June 18, 2010, 12:47:37 pm by mtomalty »

LKaven

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2010, 08:55:54 pm »

And there's always the Pentax 645D at 40MP.  At those prices, you can afford to try it for a year and sell it if you don't like it.

D!RK

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2010, 11:13:24 pm »

Hi Design-freak
I am not sure that Leica M9 users bought their cameras because they think that the pros use it. There are various reasons. Some buy it for status, some because they love rangefinders, some because they need a small camera with great image quality, some because they like the look and feel of a Leica, etc. I think most are aware that this is not a camera that pros in the studio and in the field pick as their first choice, but some pros might use the M9.

The Hasselblad system is definitely a pro workhorse. Rental availability is high and the system has been out there for a while to get wide coverage. The S2 system does not have this in place. So far there is only one S2 camera model out there, which limits the potential customer group. Hasselblad has various camera models, which creates a wider user group,  more demand for rental lenses, etc.

So in the end the S2 might address similar customers that the M9 addresses. Of course in a different field. People who buy it for status, people who love a smaller system with great image quality, people who like the look and feel of a Leica, and of course some pros who might not need a rental system in place but a good service.

If you favor the Hasselblad system then buy a Hasselblad. Pros and some amateurs have created great results with it. The only question I have is, what makes you think buying the S2?

BTW I am an amateur, not rich, I own a M9 and love it. I grew up with a Rollei 35T, moved to a Mamiya 7, then Fuji GW690, Leica M6. I use SLRs too but I feel home with a rangefinder. Would I buy a different brand, something good but cheaper if available? Totally.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2010, 07:51:29 am by D!RK »

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2010, 12:21:51 am »

Hi,

No question that the Hasselblad is more flexible. Also, MFDBs which have removable backs are more flexible by definition. It may be that the Leica may have advantages in image quality. Tolerances may be tighter in a system that is intended to be used as a single piece. This is probably an issue with very precise or careful work. I guess that anyone buying into a 30 kUSD kit should try to find options to evaluate the equipment before buying.

Erwin Puts has a series of articles on the S2, may be worth checking out: http://www.imx.nl/photo/, Mr. Puts seems to be some kind of expert on optics with good ties to Leica and access to some qualified lens testing devices.

I don't think wealthy amateurs buy Leica M9s because they think that pros use them, they probably want a fine piece of German engineering and a good picture taking equipment. Many photographers were grown up with Leicas and still love the concept. Also the Leicas seem be a good alternative for travel. Top notch optical quality in a small package. Not saying that an M9 is better than a Nikon D3x but it is certainly smaller and sometimes size does really matter.

Best regards
Erik

Quote from: design_freak
A terrible dilemma, what to choose? Leica is a new structure, all of her delight. I wonder if this only as a momentary infatuation (new equipment) whether the equipment is actually worth the money. Will the real pros use it, or is it just a myth. The myth that drives the sales of brand. (M9 wealthy amateurs buy because they think that the pros use it) I would like to know your opinion on this subject. What would you choose? I am convinced of Hasselblad equipment, but I want to make sure that my decision is right. Hasselblad has a whole system, multiple lenses, the perfect tilt & shift. Excellent software. Long time exposure, low noise, etc. Price is also attractive.

BR
Design Freak
« Last Edit: June 12, 2010, 12:22:40 am by ErikKaffehr »
Erik Kaffehr

Pages: [1]   Go Up