Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Monitors - Eizo or NEC?  (Read 4987 times)

TimBarker

• http://tbarker.net
Monitors - Eizo or NEC?
« on: June 11, 2010, 05:14:46 am »

Upgraded my PC several months ago to an Intel i7-920, with heaps of disc, 6Gb memory, Gigabyte 9600GT graphics card.  Serious hobbies include music and photography so have prof. sound card (24bitx96kHzx8channels), Cubase and PS CS4 installed.  ie quality is as important as cost and I'd generally go for better quality over cheaper.  I'd be best described as a serious amateur with some history of film photography way back (Olympus OM1, OM4Ti) and recently returned to the Digital world (Nikon D200).  That's the background.

I've been making do with 2 old LCD screens (Mitsubishi DV171 and LG L1750SQ) with minimal colour management using a Colormunki.  I've always had some issues with print matching but I'm actually happy with the printer (Canon 9000Pro, the original version) which has always provided excellent prints taken with my older point and shoot and through other programmes.  It's now time to upgrade to a decent monitor and I've essentially decided on either Eizo or NEC.  Now I've had an Eizo before (way back when a 10 inch CRT was considered large) and it was great, fantastic colour, lasted ages etc.  I'm definitely put off by the cost but understand the quality issue.  Unfortunately down here in Oz finding actual versions of the screens you would like to see before you buy is difficult and often screens are imported only on order.

The screens I'm looking at are the Eizo CG24xW series (where x is 1, 3 or 5) and the NEC PA series (241W and 271W).  I'm starting to hone these down to the PA271W vs the CG243W, both are around the same price.   Any suggestions, comments, other ideas, experience with the monitors particularly using the Colormunki colorimeter would be more than welcomed.

Thanks in advance, and as a new L/L user I'm seriously impressed with the content of the site and the knowledge of the participants.
Tim Barker (aka MandoTiM in other forums),
Rank Amateur.

Uses Nikon D200 or Sony Ixus110is
with post-processing on an ASUS P6T and i7-920 with
6Gb RAM, 1.5Tb discs, NEC PA271, Gigabyte 9600, Canon 9000Pro,
using Win7-64, CS4 et al.

martinreed22

Monitors - Eizo or NEC?
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2010, 05:48:36 am »

Hi Tim,

I can't offer you the ideal of a straight comparison between Eizo and NEC . However, I can say that I've been using a CG243W for several months now, and I'm loving it. Previously had a decent Dell LCD, calibrated with a Spyder. Due to issues with the Spyder and wide gamut switched to Colormunki, which works absolutely fine. This is with the Eizo's ColorNavigator under Win7-64.

I use the CG243W in sRGB mode for every day work, which I find works very well. The sRGB accuracy is still better than most displays in my opinion. I switch to calibrated mode via the display's "M" button for photo work (primarily Lightroom). Because the profile switch is in the monitor this works very well, Windows apps don't get confused as they don't know anything about it.

I've also been using an original Canon Pro9000 until very recently, matches well.

Finally got around to fitting the LCD hood that comes with it, helps more than I expected to reduce the effects of stray room light.

If you have any questions, please feel free to post or PM.

cheers, martin

TimBarker

Monitors - Eizo or NEC?
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2010, 06:35:13 am »

Quote from: martinreed22
If you have any questions, please feel free to post or PM.

cheers, martin

thanks, Martin, just the kind of comment I'm after.  I'm certainly tempted by the Eizo despite the cost but the extra real estate of the NEC for the same price is equally tempting.  1 problem I do have is restricted space but I might just need to rearrange the workspace/room (again).  I should have mentioned the opsys in the list, W7-64bit, only way to go from my experience with Vista-64.
Rank Amateur.

Anthony R

Monitors - Eizo or NEC?
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2010, 01:55:12 pm »

To get the most out of a high end monitor, you need to get into the CG series of Eizo. If you don't want to spend that kind of money, get the NEC ones which are fine monitors for the money.

MartinCh

Monitors - Eizo or NEC?
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2010, 10:07:40 pm »

Eizo  CG223W-BK 22" Wide Screen LCD  $1529
or
Eizo CG222W

Eizo  CG211-BK $2959
Eizo  CG241W $2000

NEC 2690WUXI2  $1279

What might be actual beneficial differences between these 4 monitors, based on their price differences?
(when it comes down to the final print)

As a long term investment, or with good resale value, is there a better monitor between these?
Looking to get a good monitor in which to use prophoto rgb space, color accurate work, soft proofing.
Other monitors to consider?

Is it better to have a MF system or MF raw files in which to make use of these monitors, or just as well prosumer raw files? (eg. from Canon, Olympus with original adobe rgb settings)

As an alternative there's also: P221w-bk-sv.

TimBarker

Monitors - Eizo or NEC?
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2010, 05:31:28 am »

Quote from: MartinCh
Eizo  CG223W-BK 22" Wide Screen LCD  $1529
or
Eizo CG222W

Eizo  CG211-BK $2959
Eizo  CG241W $2000

NEC 2690WUXI2  $1279

I take it these are US$ rather than Pacific Pesos, if not where are these from?  I had the NEC PA2x1 in the list as well which is a new monitor that has the right specs but I'd like to a) see it/them and b) find somebody that has used/has one.  Seems to be the replacement for the 26xxWUxi series.  Pricing is certainly right and if the specs are to be believed they should give the Eizo CG series a serious run for their money.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2010, 05:33:00 am by TimBarker »
Rank Amateur.

Pages: [1]   Go Up