Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Lightroom 3 Issues  (Read 6555 times)

John R Smith

• Still crazy, after all these years
Lightroom 3 Issues
« on: June 11, 2010, 04:39:44 am »

Folks

I just thought this might be the place to post any unintended issues with LR3. Not that there seem to be many, so far. And fixes for them, if they are a user-stupidity problem (as often happens in my case). I installed LR3 last night, and started exploring the new features. My existing LR2 catalog converted just fine, by the way.

Running on Win 7, 64 bit. Two things -

* When trying out the new Watermarking feature, and attempting to move the watermark from the lower left of the image to the right, the app hung. The screen went black, but after about 60 secs LR recovered and all was well again.

* This morning, I started LR from the desktop shortcut. It got through the splash screen routine but then crashed before loading the catalog. A message from Win 7 informed me of an unrecoverable system error and said that LR had attempted to perfom some illegal operation. Another screen informed me that Win 7 had made "compatibility adjustments" to the application (which obviously should not be necessary). A second restart ran fine.

More testing tonight.

John
Hasselblad 500 C/M, SWC and CFV-39 DB
an

Per Ofverbeck

• http://elgfoto.se
Lightroom 3 Issues
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2010, 05:26:17 am »

Quote from: John R Smith
Folks

I just thought this might be the place to post any unintended issues with LR3........

Well, without wanting to draw attention away from this excellent forum....

For the specific purpose you mention, I´d say the communication lines to Adobe will be shorter from here

For most other things photographic, I second your assessment:  This is The Place!    
Per Ofverbeck
My

John R Smith

Lightroom 3 Issues
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2010, 05:45:40 am »

Fair comment, Per . . .

But there are contributors here who also have very direct lines of communication to Adobe  

And the Adobe Forum you link to above is impossibly slow on my useless broadband - I have used it before and I also notice that the quality of the contributions is, shall we say, of a somewhat lower calibre than we are used to here. However, if others feel it inappropriate we can just let this post quietly sink.

John
« Last Edit: June 11, 2010, 08:51:16 am by John R Smith »
an

John R Smith

Lightroom 3 Issues
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2010, 01:27:13 pm »

Back home again, and LR3 refuses to load. Same issue, with an appcrash notice just at the point when the Library screen begins to populate.

I shall uninstall, remove all the usual bits and bobs left behind, and try a clean install but this time not convert the LR2 catalog, instead I shall create a new (small) catalog from scratch.

And see what happens.

No stability issues from anyone else?

John
an

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
Lightroom 3 Issues
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2010, 03:47:53 pm »

Adobe: Feature Request/ Bug Report form – Have a suggestion for Lightroom?  Found a bug?  Send it directly to Tom Hogarty.

Mike.
If your mind is attuned t

DarkPenguin

Lightroom 3 Issues
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2010, 01:37:47 am »

It just flipped all of my images to 2010 processing.  So I've got that going for me which should make for a hellish Mozy backup tonite.  Yep, 17252 files still need backup.

And my simple smart collections are not working.  I have a simple one that excludes a few image types (like racing and zoo photos) that is currently including those image types.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2010, 12:52:13 pm by DarkPenguin »

BobFisher

Lightroom 3 Issues
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2010, 02:44:59 pm »

FWIW John, I've got a similar set up to you (Win 7 64) and LR3 is working fine on my system.  Converted my LR2 catalogue and although it took a while, no problems.  Not sure that's of any help but....

John R Smith

Lightroom 3 Issues
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2010, 03:02:38 pm »

Bob

Yes, as no-one else is reporting problems with Win 7 64 and LR3 either here or elsewhere on the web, I am pretty sure that it is an issue with my particular PC. Strange thing is, LR 2.6 runs fine, and so did LR3 beta 2. All other software runs A-OK, including PS.

So at present I don't know where to look to resolve the problem.

John
an

semillerimages

• http://www.semillerimages.com
Lightroom 3 Issues
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2010, 06:06:17 pm »

John,

Fortunately I'm not having any problems with Win7 64bit and Lightroom 3 64 either...
Sorry to know you are having a difficulty

*steve
semillerimages.com

MBehrens

Lightroom 3 Issues
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2010, 12:36:05 pm »

* This morning, I started LR from the desktop shortcut. It got through the splash screen routine but then crashed before loading the catalog. A message from Win 7 informed me of an unrecoverable system error and said that LR had attempted to perfom some illegal operation. Another screen informed me that Win 7 had made "compatibility adjustments" to the application (which obviously should not be necessary). A second restart ran fine.

I had a similar experience last night. Was developing some shots from the day. Was tweaking the Recovery slider and crashed. Got the Windows 7 Compatibility Adjustment dialog, which didn't make sense this isn't an old program. I looked briefly for a way to remove any settings that had been set, unsuccessfully, then went to bed. Thingss this morning are operating OK so far.

Windows 7 64-bit
Intel i7 processor
Dual Monitors (Grid on Mon2, Loupe on Mon1)
Canon 50D raw files
[attachment=22581:LR3_Win7...10_06_12.PNG]

John R Smith

Lightroom 3 Issues
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2010, 12:43:38 pm »

Quote from: MBehrens
Got the Windows 7 Compatibility Adjustment dialog, which didn't make sense this isn't an old program. I looked briefly for a way to remove any settings that had been set, unsuccessfully, then went to bed.

Yes, exactly what happened to me, only on loading LR3. I have now re-installed from scratch, but have not converted my LR2 catalog. Instead, I am creating a new one inside LR3. So far, no problems.

John
an

Morris Taub

• morristaubphotography
Lightroom 3 Issues
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2010, 06:31:53 pm »

I found what I think is a bug, and I experienced this with the beta as well...I use Snapshots to save images as I work on them...I get whole folders that I've recently imported that don't have the initial 'import' image under snapshots when i enter the Develop module...I can save a snapshot, if i catch it, as an import stage snapshot but usually it's already there...

M

Steve Weldon

• Bangkok Images
Lightroom 3 Issues
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2010, 12:47:32 am »

Not sure if this is a bug or if I just missed something.. but I've installed LR3 on over 10 systems so far and have only had trouble with 1 of my 3 personal systems.  My workstation went perfect, it converted the catalogs and brought over my plugins and settings with no issues.  Same with one of my laptops.  With both, I rebuilt new indexes and previews anyway.

My problem comes with a Dell M6300 Precision Mobile Workstation, a higher end laptop.. and what's happening is anything in my catalog and anything I try to import in the import dialog box.. is grayed out.  There is a square present for each image, but no image.  When you first access a directory you can see it flash on the actual file names.. but then it quickly/instantly turns to gray squares.

At first I figured something was wrong with the install.. so I uninstalled it, deleted all LR files completely from everywhere, from the user directories, common directories, registry, etc..  Installed fresh and it did it again.

I wonder if this is an 'activation' issue?  I've always used LR3 on 3 machines but I wonder if they somehow made it like CS4/5 and only usable on 2 machines.. but forgot to add the activation/deactivation controls?

Adobe support is closed over the weekend, opens at 0700 Monday.. so I'll have to call in and ask.  I haven't seen this issue discussed anywhere else.
----------------------------------------------
http://www.BangkokImages.com

John R Smith

Lightroom 3 Issues
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2010, 03:37:52 am »

Steve

How would LR3 know that you had installed it on three PCs?

It looks as if my problem was a catalog issue. Having re-installed LR3, and changed nothing else, with the only difference being that I created a new LR3 catalog rather than converting the old one, all is well. I gave 3 a really good workout last night and it was completely stable, no issues.

So it looks as if something went wrong with the conversion of the LR2 catalog. This, I hope, is just a one-off glitch.

John
an

Steve Weldon

• Bangkok Images
Lightroom 3 Issues
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2010, 11:12:02 am »

Steve

How would LR3 know that you had installed it on three PCs?

It looks as if my problem was a catalog issue. Having re-installed LR3, and changed nothing else, with the only difference being that I created a new LR3 catalog rather than converting the old one, all is well. I gave 3 a really good workout last night and it was completely stable, no issues.

So it looks as if something went wrong with the conversion of the LR2 catalog. This, I hope, is just a one-off glitch.

John
I don't see how it would unless Adobe put in a 'call-home' activate/deactivate feature that I'm missing.  I've currently been on hold listening to their hold music for 45 mins.. hopefully I'll know soon.

I'll be deleting all my old catalogs and previews and starting over on all machines.  It's nice that you normally don't have to.. but after years of use and 1000's of deletions and additions.. I can't help but think there will be benefits.

Richowens

Lightroom 3 Issues
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2010, 12:38:00 pm »

Steve,

A shot in the dark. Try recalibrating the monitor. A corrupt monitor profile can give you these symptoms.

Rich

edited for spelling
« Last Edit: June 14, 2010, 12:38:54 pm by Richowens »

Steve Weldon

• Bangkok Images
Lightroom 3 Issues
« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2010, 12:18:16 am »

Quote from: Richowens
Steve,

A shot in the dark. Try recalibrating the monitor. A corrupt monitor profile can give you these symptoms.

Rich

edited for spelling
Rich -  It was a good shot..

Adobe had me change color profiles (after a bunch of other guesses) and things started working.  After the change I went back and activated the exact same color profile and it works fine.  It must be either a corrupt monitor profile that's load order sensitive.. or something weird with Adobe's LR Installer.

I've never heard of a color profile working for everything else (including a ton of other Adobe color aware products) and not one specific application.  And then disabling and enabling it fixes things.. hmm..

Thanks!

John R Smith

Lightroom 3 Issues
« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2010, 03:18:55 am »

Steve

I had a very similar problem a while back, also related to a corrupt monitor profile or possibly a problem with the way it was loaded from Win 7. It looks as if LR, unlike the other Adobe apps, writes directly to the screen in some way.

John
an

MBehrens

Lightroom 3 Issues
« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2010, 03:30:03 pm »

Continuing to get Lockups and Crashes in Windows 7 64-bit. Wish I could narrow it down to specific actions, it is always in the develope module. My desktop memory monitor shows that memory is not running short in these instances.

I ran some prints last night and didn't have any issues in that module. Didn't exercise any of the new functionality there though.

Intel i7
3GB Ram
ATI Graphics

Snook

Lightroom 3 Issues
« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2010, 11:23:57 pm »

Lot PC talk here but with MAC OSX 10.6.3 everything seems to fine so far..
Had some tethered issues today with the 5DII but nothing major...
If you put a card that has previuos images on it I had to turn of the camera and erase the card then sometimes the camera would not show as connected..
But over all pretty good...
Snook
Pages: [1]   Go Up