Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Lightroom 3 and Flickr  (Read 3380 times)

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
Lightroom 3 and Flickr
« on: June 10, 2010, 01:56:58 am »

Hi Folks:

I've been using LR3 since the first Beta, and am really pleased now that the final product has come out.  One of many great features is the direct and somewhat dynamic link between LR and Flickr.  I've uploaded over 200 images to my Flickr site that way.  However, there is one thing to be warned about if you use the links to your Flickr images themselves.  Let me 'splain.

If you go to something like this: http://www.flickr.com/photos/wolfnowl/4686813509/ you'll end up at Flickr's page for that image.  However, sometimes I use my images for my blog posts, and for that I go to the URL for the image itself, which looks more like this: http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1299/468681...1ffe0f012_o.jpg.  Thay works fine, but... if you change the metadata or for some reason Lightroom finds it necessary to "Republish" the image, Flickr's page for it will remain the same but the URL of the actual file itself will change and you'll end up with dead links in your blog post.  I found this out the hard way.  The obvious answer of course is not to upload images for a blog using the dynamic links in Lightroom but to do it the old fashioned way.  You lose the dynamic functionality like having LR download comments into the catalog, but it will save you trouble down the road.

Mike.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2010, 01:57:38 am by wolfnowl »
If your mind is attuned t

jjj

• http://www.futtfuttfuttphotography.com
Lightroom 3 and Flickr
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2010, 09:28:08 am »

In the export dialogue box, if you go to Flickr Title, one of the options is to disable the auto updating.
I just checked some presets I have done for Flickr and replace title was enabled in some, so thanks for reminding me to check them.
I redid some pre-sets in LR3 yesterday for my girlfriend to use with her blog and had forgotten about that feature option.
Tradition is the Backbone of the Spinele

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
Lightroom 3 and Flickr
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2010, 04:10:51 pm »

Quote from: jjj
In the export dialogue box, if you go to Flickr Title, one of the options is to disable the auto updating.
I just checked some presets I have done for Flickr and replace title was enabled in some, so thanks for reminding me to check them.
I redid some pre-sets in LR3 yesterday for my girlfriend to use with her blog and had forgotten about that feature option.

Thanks for letting me know!

Mike.

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
Lightroom 3 and Flickr
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2010, 05:02:39 pm »

Quote from: jjj

Hi There:

In the left panel of the Library module I right-clicked on Flickr and went to Edit Settings.  I'm now in the Lightroom Publishing Manager.  Under "Flickr Title" I have "Set Flickr Title Using: (IPTC Title), "If Empty Use: (Filename)" and "When Updating Photos: (Replace Existing Title)"  There's no option anywhere in the options that I can see to disable updating photos.  Under File/ Export I can export to hard drive or to CD/DVD, but not to Flickr (directly).  Am I missing something?

Thanks,
Mike.
Pages: [1]   Go Up