Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Good photo or just a really good sky?  (Read 4434 times)

Justan

• Justan-Elk.com
Good photo or just a really good sky?
« on: June 09, 2010, 09:44:55 am »

I can’t decide

It’s a 6 frame stitch

Dick Roadnight

« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2010, 09:53:40 am »

Nice picture...

trouble is the position of the boats in the picture... if you could move the one on the left right about two boat lengths, it would be even better.
Hasselblad H4, Sinar P3 monorail view camera, Schneider Apo-digitar lenses

Justan

• Justan-Elk.com
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2010, 10:32:53 am »

Thanks for the feedback!

Justan

• Justan-Elk.com
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2010, 10:51:57 am »

BTW I tried a few variants, including moving the ferry, removing the ferry, replacing the ferry with a sail boat that I’d caught a little earlier, but I thought none were as good as the original.

Around here many relate to the ferry boats and it connects them with the scene.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2010, 10:52:55 am by Justan »

francois

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2010, 10:54:21 am »

Quote from: Dick Roadnight
Nice picture...

trouble is the position of the boats in the picture... if you could move the one on the left right about two boat lengths, it would be even better.
I agree with your suggestion, it would produce a better photo.
Francois

Justan

• Justan-Elk.com
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2010, 11:23:49 am »

Why do you think moving the tub it would improve the foto?

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2010, 12:58:41 pm »

Or you could just bring out more detail in the boat, i.e., locally apply "fill light" or similar tool.

Justan

• Justan-Elk.com
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2010, 01:08:18 pm »

Thanks for the feedback. That was done in the one above. In fact both the water and the tub on the left were brought up as separate processes. Bringing the tub up much more puts it in the realm of obvious standing out too much from the surroundings. Same for the water. The eye picks up the difference in levels in a wink.

Ed Blagden

« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2010, 01:24:05 pm »

I don't understand the oppositional nature of your question.  It is a good sky - and therefore a good photo.  A sky like that demands to be photographed.  For me, the photo is about the sky, and the boats are incidental to the main subject and I wouldn't worry too much about them.

Very nice.

Ed

feppe

• Oh this shows up in here!
    • Harri Jahkola Photography
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2010, 02:13:26 pm »

Quote from: Ed Blagden
I don't understand the oppositional nature of your question.  It is a good sky - and therefore a good photo.  A sky like that demands to be photographed.  For me, the photo is about the sky, and the boats are incidental to the main subject and I wouldn't worry too much about them.

Very nice.

Ed

Agreed. Besides, moving a ship in post just to satisfy some ridiculous rule-of-thirds is a step towards dumbing down photography (further).

Can't wait for all the "perfect" but dull imagery produced by abusing content-aware fill in PS5.

Stunning sky, the ships are incidental.

Dick Roadnight

« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2010, 05:07:30 pm »

Quote from: feppe
Agreed. Besides, moving a ship in post just to satisfy some ridiculous rule-of-thirds is a step towards dumbing down photography (further).

Can't wait for all the "perfect" but dull imagery produced by abusing content-aware fill in PS5.

Stunning sky, the ships are incidental.
I think, perhaps it might be a better picture without the ships, but with the ships heading out of the picture... they take the attention of the viewer out of the picture.
Hasselblad H4, Sinar P3 monorail view camera, Schneider Apo-digitar lenses

jasonrandolph

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/shutterpunk
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2010, 05:22:52 pm »

I think, perhaps it might be a better picture without the ships, but with the ships heading out of the picture... they take the attention of the viewer out of the picture.

I disagree.  While the sky is definitely the main focus of the image (as well it should be), the ferry gives it "life".  While it would be better to have the ferry heading into the picture, framing it differently would lose some of the sky, and to my eye, leaving out the ferry makes the image much more static.  I think it's fine as-is.

Justan

• Justan-Elk.com
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2010, 01:12:20 pm »

Quote from: Ed Blagden

Very nice.

Ed

Thank you!

Your comments are close to my views. The tubs are not incidental. They are the instrument that brings the viewer into the pix and grounds them. Without them there is no sense of scale and the image is less interesting, even empty. But by the same token, if one focuses on the tubs to the exclusion of the remainder, they are not really, dare I say it, seeing the whole picture. . .

Justan

• Justan-Elk.com
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2010, 01:12:59 pm »

Why do you think they are heading out?

Ed Blagden

« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2010, 02:29:18 pm »

Quote from: Justan
Thank you!

Your comments are close to my views. The tubs are not incidental. They are the instrument that brings the viewer into the pix and grounds them. Without them there is no sense of scale and the image is less interesting, even empty. But by the same token, if one focuses on the tubs to the exclusion of the remainder, they are not really, dare I say it, seeing the whole picture. . .

Agreed - my choice of the word "incidental" was a careless one.  The boats are important for the reasons you mention, but are minor supporting characters in a much bigger drama.  But they have to be there, nonetheless.  

I love sky shots, and one of the challenges is conveying the sense of scale (clouds are fractal-like, in that one cannot judge size / distance from appearance).  This composition works pretty well in this regard.  The fact that the boats appear so tiny in relation to the image makes the sky big.

Ed

Pages: [1]   Go Up