Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Photo of The Vico Baths in Dublin  (Read 2231 times)

Enda Cavanagh

• http://www.endacavanagh.com
Photo of The Vico Baths in Dublin
« on: June 09, 2010, 09:26:59 am »

I have added a photo of the Photo of the Vico Baths in Dublin to my site. I'd love to hear your comments. Here is the link
The Vico Baths

Many thanks
« Last Edit: June 09, 2010, 12:03:16 pm by Enda Cavanagh »

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2010, 05:54:32 pm »

Ed:  I really like the steps and the railing leading into the water, but I don't think the building adds to the image.  If it was mine I'd chop it off below the horizon.  By doing so the viewer is put into the position of contemplating going down into the water him/herself and questioning whether or not s/he has a way of gettig back.  With the buildings it's just a shot of someone standing there, looking around.  YMMV!

Mike.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2010, 05:56:37 pm by wolfnowl »
If your mind is attuned t

Enda Cavanagh

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2010, 06:55:59 pm »

Quote from: wolfnowl
Ed:  I really like the steps and the railing leading into the water, but I don't think the building adds to the image.  If it was mine I'd chop it off below the horizon.  By doing so the viewer is put into the position of contemplating going down into the water him/herself and questioning whether or not s/he has a way of gettig back.  With the buildings it's just a shot of someone standing there, looking around.  YMMV!

Mike.
Hi Mike
I just tried chopping it and I don't think it works at all. I wanted to take the photo just at this time because the island in the background was the only thing in sunlight. (It was close to sunset and the sun was going down below the hills behind me.) I think if you leave out the sky it just disorientates the viewer because you have no bearing. By having the horizon,  island and sky you give the viewer a sense of piece and a sense of actually been there.

YMMV! I always have to google when you guys abbreviate. I never know what you mean.  

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2010, 01:44:50 am »

Quote from: Enda Cavanagh
YMMV! I always have to google when you guys abbreviate. I never know what you mean.  

Sorry about that!  Your Mileage May Vary!

Just to a search on TLAs (Three Letter Acronyms, although not all of them are three letters).

Mike.

P.S.  It was that sense of unbalance that I was suggesting by cropping it.  Obviously you were looking for something else.  As I said, YMMV!
If your mind is attuned t

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2010, 12:59:52 pm »

Sorry about that!  Your Mileage May Vary!

Just to a search on TLAs (Three Letter Acronyms, although not all of them are three letters).
...and nearly all of them are abbreviations, not acronyms (sorry: I'm a pedant and there is a difference).

Jeremy
« Last Edit: June 10, 2010, 02:02:15 pm by kikashi »

Enda Cavanagh

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2010, 02:55:12 pm »

Quote from: kikashi
...and nearly all of them are abbreviations, not acronyms (sorry: I'm a pedant and there is a difference).

Jeremy
It shoes how often I use them

PeterAit

• Peter Aitken Photographs
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2010, 06:23:14 pm »

Mike.

My opinion is the opposite of Mike's. I like the photo, and the distant building is an essential part of it. The steps themselves are interesting enough, an old algae-covered structure of uncertain origin and function. With the distant building, it is put in context, a bay with a distant headland on which is a perfectly ordinary building - and the mystery grows!

Enda Cavanagh

« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2010, 07:07:39 pm »

Quote from: PeterAit
My opinion is the opposite of Mike's. I like the photo, and the distant building is an essential part of it. The steps themselves are interesting enough, an old algae-covered structure of uncertain origin and function. With the distant building, it is put in context, a bay with a distant headland on which is a perfectly ordinary building - and the mystery grows!

Thanks Peter for your comments.
I aggree 100%. The steps while forming quite a strong composition in the foreground, are for me not enough subject matter on their own. As you say the background gives the image context. The island in the background is very well known in Dublin and I wanted to highlight that by showing just the island in sunlight. I also wanted to show the viewer something warm and inviting beyond the cold blue water and the dilapidated steps.
Pages: [1]   Go Up