Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: IPS display on the iPhone  (Read 8756 times)

Snook

IPS display on the iPhone
« Reply #20 on: June 10, 2010, 11:30:48 am »

Quote from: Guy Mancuso
I would just love to even have the Iphone tethered if nothing else. Just make a Apple connection to Firewire 400 cable and make C1 Iphone friendly just for tethered shooting it writes to the CF card as usual but sends a small preview to the Iphone. Just have to buy shirts with pockets. LOL

Can we pass this on PLEASE.
This is possible right now with Canon cameras...:+}
DSLR remote pro works great.... with Canon and iPhone that is..
Snook

Doug Peterson

• http://www.doug-peterson.com
« Reply #21 on: June 10, 2010, 12:07:45 pm »

Quote from: Snook
This is possible right now with Canon cameras...:+}
DSLR remote pro works great.... with Canon and iPhone that is..

Snook, dSLR Remote Pro is [Camera ---> Computer ---> iPhone/iPad].

In other words it still requires that you tether the camera to a computer.

You can do this with any Canon, Nikon, Phase One, or Leaf camera with Capture One and any VNC program. Read my posts on this recent thread. Doing it with Capture One also has the obvious advantage that you're still using Capture One with all of it's features/power/quality. I'll be posting our preferred solution in the next week.

A direct (and fast/stable/usable) [Camera --> iPhone/iPad] solution which does not require the camera to be connected to the computer seems at least a year away for ANY camera and my bet is that Leaf/Phase-One will have it before anyone else based on the fact that Leaf had a good-but-not-great solution like this available years ago with an iPaq (notice the q) Windows handheld computer. But only time will tell and whoever does it first (assuming they do it well) will have contributed a great tool to the photographic community.

Doug Peterson
Newsletter: Read Latest or Sign Up
RSS Feed: Subscribe
Buy Capture One at 10% off
Personal Work
« Last Edit: June 10, 2010, 01:08:20 pm by dougpetersonci »

adammork

« Reply #22 on: June 10, 2010, 12:52:40 pm »

Quote from: dougpetersonci
A direct (and fast/stable/usable) [Camera --> iPhone/iPad] solution which does not require the camera to be connected to the computer seems at least a year away for ANY camera and my bet is that Leaf/Phase-One will have it before anyone else based on the fact that Leaf had a good-but-not-great solution like this available years ago with an iPaq (notice the q) Windows handheld computer. But only time will tell and whoever does it first (assuming they do it well) will have contributed a great tool to the photographic community.

Hi Doug,

do you have a wild guess how far we are from seeing an Iphone or similar screen direct on a back??? that would be a fantastic tool to the photographic community

I'm not even talking about live-view here, just a good reliable screen - but live-view would be a phenomenal tool to the community - I know, I'm asking to much here... way to much  

/a

Guy Mancuso

• http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/index.php
« Reply #23 on: June 10, 2010, 01:00:39 pm »

Quote from: adammork
I would love that too - but after they have put that screen on the back itself.... Photokina is not that far away..... come on surprice us!  

Agreed these will have to make there way to the backs themselves. Not sure anyone anywhere would disagree with that but even a quick fix with a cord would make me happy for right now. Would love to have something like this in the field it would ALMOST eliminate a laptop. In reality we use these types of devices more for checking lighting, exposure and what we need to fix on set or even in the field. Even a good guide would be helpful even if it is not color balanced, wide gamut and such. Most shooters unless tethered to a computer with something like a Iphone or Ipad device would accept those limitations. I know I would for sure. I'm willing to settle for 50 percent of the solution today and hopefully see these on the backs in the next versions coming.

Admittedly I am pretty dang old school and shot for years without even a polaroid so almost anything would be good, I'm not asking for the ultimate solution but some baby steps to get to the ultimate solution along the way would be great.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2010, 01:05:07 pm by Guy Mancuso »
[url=http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/showt

Doug Peterson

« Reply #24 on: June 10, 2010, 01:04:26 pm »

do you have a wild guess how far we are from seeing an Iphone or similar screen direct on a back??? that would be a fantastic tool to the photographic community

I'm not even talking about live-view here, just a good reliable screen - but live-view would be a phenomenal tool to the community - I know, I'm asking to much here... way to much  

I know people and I read a lot, but I am NOT an engineer and I can't predict the future. But since you asked I will give you my wild guess; take it for what it is... 1-2 years before we see direct-to-iPad/iPhone wireless tethering on ANY camera (which is fast/stable enough to be useful). If I were a betting man (which I am) my money would be Leaf/Phase or Canon will be first with a usable solution given their past and current offerings of wireless. But it could be any company, and it could be anytime.

I fear cables will be with us longer than anyone (manufacturers/photographers/dealers) would desire.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2010, 01:07:03 pm by dougpetersonci »

adammork

« Reply #25 on: June 10, 2010, 01:17:26 pm »

I know people and I read a lot, but I am NOT an engineer and I can't predict the future. But since you asked I will give you my wild guess; take it for what it is... 1-2 years before we see direct-to-iPad/iPhone wireless tethering on ANY camera (which is fast/stable enough to be useful). If I were a betting man (which I am) my money would be Leaf/Phase or Canon will be first with a usable solution given their past and current offerings of wireless. But it could be any company, and it could be anytime.

I fear cables will be with us longer than anyone (manufacturers/photographers/dealers) would desire.

Doug,

sorry, maybe I was not clear enough - I'm not talking about tethering here - I'm talking about a decent screen on my back with the specs from the new Iphone or a like.... a type of screen that we have been screaming for a looooong time now - will we ever get that in the near future???

I'm not a betting man - I'm just an AP with a simple dream about my back having a screen that compares to devices that cost 40-50 times less..... still dreaming??  

/a

Doug Peterson

« Reply #26 on: June 10, 2010, 02:02:14 pm »

sorry, maybe I was not clear enough - I'm not talking about tethering here - I'm talking about a decent screen on my back with the specs from the new Iphone or a like.... a type of screen that we have been screaming for a looooong time now - will we ever get that in the near future???

We sympathize with your frustration. The Leaf lineup (now the Aptus II) has had a great large and high resolution touchscreen LCD since 2005 but the Phase One lineup does not. It's a testament to Phase One that they have continued to lead the market despite not leading the industry with LCDs.

Do bear in mind that a "looooong" time ago in December 2007 was when the 1Ds III shipped with a good LCD. So that's a 2.5 year gap. That's a lot of time in a world where everything is expected to be updated every 1.5 years, but it's not a period of unfathomable length.

Doug Peterson
Personal Work

Ben Rubinstein

« Reply #27 on: June 10, 2010, 02:22:05 pm »

1Ds mkIII has a good screen? News to me. My 5D original's are better than my mkIII.

Doug Peterson

« Reply #28 on: June 10, 2010, 02:38:41 pm »

Quote from: Ben Rubinstein
1Ds mkIII has a good screen? News to me. My 5D original's are better than my mkIII.

All things are relative; put the 1Ds III next to the 1Ds II for an idea of what I mean :-).

You can pick whatever product/year you want as the benchmark. Many non-pro point and shoots had good (relatively speaking) LCDs before the Canon 5D. The 1Ds III is my own personal point of reference because it was the first time Canon put a decent LCD on their body targeted exclusively at professionals.

Doug Peterson
Personal Work

adammork

« Reply #29 on: June 10, 2010, 02:42:59 pm »

We sympathize with your frustration. The Leaf lineup (now the Aptus II) has had a great large and high resolution touchscreen LCD since 2005

Yes I know, I have used them since 2006 - and yes they are large but I would not call them great    my PS cameras have always had better lcd - I really like the interface of the leaf backs, they just deserve a better screen.

I will leave it for now and hope for the future!

thanks!
Adam

deejjjaaaa

« Reply #30 on: June 10, 2010, 08:02:48 pm »

Also 300ppi would be killer for something like a 5DIII or the RED cameras for video since it's pretty hard to judge fine focus as it is on the LCD (without zooming and thereby losing the ability to view the full frame).

how strange, a simple P&S can zoom only within a certain square area corresponding to the focus point (including it) leaving the rest of the screen (surrounding area) of its LCD to show the full frame for you...

hubell

« Reply #31 on: June 10, 2010, 08:43:57 pm »

I remember back to the summer of 2008 before Photokina when Phase One announced the P65. Phase had taken a lot of bashing here and elsewhere about the quality of the LCD on the P45 and the P25. I thought at the time, well, here they are releasing a brand new back with the highest resolution of any photographic product in the marketplace at the astonishing price of $42,000. There is no way that Phase will not update the LCD on the P65 to a state of the art LCD. I was wrong. Same old LCD on a $42,000 digital back! Now it's the summer of 2010, a few months before the next Photokina, and here is Pentax with a medium format camera for $8,500 with a real decent LCD(though not the state of the art in LCDs). Is it conceivable that Phase will show up at Photokina with a new camera or back with the same old, same old LCD? Sure. 90 mp for $50,000, same LCD. I wonder if I will upgrade. [G]

AldoMurillo

« Reply #32 on: June 28, 2010, 06:14:57 pm »

I don't get it Apple IPhone 4 Parts Cost About $188

"a 3.5-inch LCD screen that Apple calls a "retina display." As the smartphone's most expensive component, it costs $28.50 and may have been made by LG Display"    
Aldo Murillo

feppe

• Oh this shows up in here!
    • Harri Jahkola Photography
« Reply #33 on: June 28, 2010, 06:28:46 pm »

Quote from: AldoMurillo
I don't get it Apple IPhone 4 Parts Cost About $188

"a 3.5-inch LCD screen that Apple calls a "retina display." As the smartphone's most expensive component, it costs $28.50 and may have been made by LG Display"  

Cost of parts is just one component of cost-price of manufactured goods, and often not even the most significant. BW points it out clearly in the article: "The estimate doesn't include costs for items such as labor, shipping, advertising, software development, or patent licensing."

AldoMurillo

« Reply #34 on: June 28, 2010, 08:41:57 pm »

Quote from: feppe
Cost of parts is just one component of cost-price of manufactured goods, and often not even the most significant. BW points it out clearly in the article: "The estimate doesn't include costs for items such as labor, shipping, advertising, software development, or patent licensing."

I understand that part, I'm a graphic designer too and I'm aware of all the other "hidden" costs too... but what we don't understand is why a $20,000 camera can't have a decent LCD or at least a decent way to preview an image without a PC...    I'm not saying a $28 retina display or the whole $299 iphone stuck on it or a "expensive" $500 LCD...  they should have by now at least the 2 year old nikon D300 922,000 pixel LCD.

Hasselblad had their chance to change this with the H4D-40...   pentax 645D has done it, I know pentax has all the pentax k series to help with LCD units demand...  but how companies like Ricoh have close deals for LCDs and hasselblad and phase one have not?... It's that low the MFD demand? or how come sony, nikon, canon, pentax, kodax, panasonic, samsung, Fujifilm, olympus, ricoh, leica, coby, LG, HTC, Motorola etc etc have done it?  maybe next photokina...

P.S. I understand all the heat and processing power issues too, but pentax and leica have already done it, so that shouldn't be an issue by now.

Aldo Murillo

condit79

• http://calebcondit.com
« Reply #35 on: June 29, 2010, 07:47:24 pm »

Maybe phase, leaf and hasselblad should start making point and shoots so they can get their order numbers up on the screens to get lcds and have a way to share r&d costs?  Imagine how many of us freaks would love to have a phase one point and shoot?  only four buttons though, they couldn't imagine changing a thing like that:)

geesbert

• http://www.randlkofer.com
« Reply #36 on: June 30, 2010, 04:46:56 am »

Phase One: how about bulk ordering a few hundred canon ixus (ixuses? ixi?), ripping out their LCD and dropping them into the back? I would really wonder if there would be one back owner who wouldn't pay at least 1000$ to get a great screen on their p65+
-------------------------
[url=http://ww

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #37 on: June 30, 2010, 07:30:48 am »

If this source is to be believed, the price of a iPhone 4G screen is... 29US$. http://www.koreaherald.com/business/Detail...=20100629000901

Now, that is true when Apple buys it...

To be fair, there are engineering constraints with backs due to the sensitivity of their CCDs to heat,...

Cheers,
Bernard
« Last Edit: June 30, 2010, 06:24:10 pm by BernardLanguillier »
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up