Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: IPS display on the iPhone  (Read 8761 times)

pcunite

IPS display on the iPhone
« on: June 08, 2010, 01:53:59 pm »

With the iPhone 4 having an IPS display it is now clear to me why spending over $8K on a camera does not get you that much of an LCD preview. There where simply not enough of them to go around with the planned iPhone 4 rollout. $300 for an iPhone gets you IPS... who would have guessed?

Graham Mitchell

« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2010, 03:09:27 pm »

It's 960x640 too. A pixel pitch like this would be great on a MFDB.

AlexM

• Alex Maxim fashion and glamour photographer in Toronto
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2010, 03:51:18 pm »

Quote from: pcunite
With the iPhone 4 having an IPS display it is now clear to me why spending over $8K on a camera does not get you that much of an LCD preview. There where simply not enough of them to go around with the planned iPhone 4 rollout. $300 for an iPhone gets you IPS... who would have guessed?

I would happily spend $300 more on a MF camera if it had IPS display. iPhone users will be far ahead of photographers with 30K cameras in the area
If we could get a wireless transmitter that would connect to the firewire port of a camera and send images directly to an IPhone or an iPad that would partially solve the problem, though.

Steve Weldon

• Bangkok Images
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2010, 03:55:15 pm »

Quote from: pcunite
A few weeks back I bought a HTC Desire with that same exact screen.  It's a beauty..
----------------------------------------------
http://www.BangkokImages.com

pcunite

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2010, 09:00:56 pm »

Quote from: Oleksiy
If we could get a wireless transmitter that would connect to the firewire port of a camera and send images directly to an IPhone or an iPad that would partially solve the problem, though.

Me too, I am so hoping for wireless jpeg (I think raw is out of the question) transfer capability to my iPad.

pschefz

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2010, 01:29:02 am »

a 3.5 screen with that resolution and quality....and it comes with the a4 chip.....and wifi N.....and an incredible and pretty open os.....a shame that nobody has found a way to attach a nice 30mpix mf sensor to it....
schefz.com
artloch.com

revaaron

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2010, 01:41:00 am »

the OS is not open. that is the whole issue with it.
still, I loooove my iPad and would love this phone, but can't work without a full qwerty kb.

BJL

« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2010, 06:17:40 am »

Maybe just add Apple's "FaceTime" to a MFDB to get WiFi preview on an iPhone or other device that adopts it?! I believe that Apple is making FaceTime open. Or some "iPhone as remote" App.

AldoMurillo

« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2010, 10:23:02 am »

Quote from: Steve Weldon
A few weeks back I bought a HTC Desire with that same exact screen.  It's a beauty..

HTC desire screen is 800 x 480 on a  3.7 in display or 252.15 PPI, iPhone is 960 x 640 on a 3.5 on a display or 329.65 PPI... anyway those are a couple of incredible screens that sould be on a MDF back...
Aldo Murillo

feppe

• Oh this shows up in here!
    • Harri Jahkola Photography
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2010, 02:24:05 pm »

Quote from: AldoMurillo
HTC desire screen is 800 x 480 on a  3.7 in display or 252.15 PPI, iPhone is 960 x 640 on a 3.5 on a display or 329.65 PPI... anyway those are a couple of incredible screens that sould be on a MDF back...

Yay, now we're not only competing with Mhz and MP; let the PPI race begin.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2010, 02:24:38 pm by feppe »

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2010, 04:24:41 pm »

Quote from: feppe
Yay, now we're not only competing with Mhz and MP; let the PPI race begin.
Whatever. The original poster claimed it was the same, and it really isn't even close.. Lower Rez, AMOLED, and not ips.  

And it is kind of significant that a mass market  display has broken the 300 dpi threshold.   Sign of things to come?  

feppe

• Oh this shows up in here!
    • Harri Jahkola Photography
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2010, 04:39:48 pm »

Quote from: Wayne Fox
Whatever. The original poster claimed it was the same, and it really isn't even close.. Lower Rez, AMOLED, and not ips.  

And it is kind of significant that a mass market  display has broken the 300 dpi threshold.   Sign of things to come?

My groaning was more about what marketing people will do with the PPI figure, rather than the very welcome PPI improvement. I'm afraid beating the competition on PPI will become just like MHz and megapixels: an end in itself. Just like there's more to IQ than mere megapixels, computer power than mere MHz, there's more to display quality than PPI.

AldoMurillo

« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2010, 06:10:03 pm »

My groaning was more about what marketing people will do with the PPI figure, rather than the very welcome PPI improvement. I'm afraid beating the competition on PPI will become just like MHz and megapixels: an end in itself. Just like there's more to IQ than mere megapixels, computer power than mere MHz, there's more to display quality than PPI.

I agree with you.  Theres a lot of variables in the IQ of a display besides PPI, but if all the other variables (contrast, angle etc etc) are equal the more PPI the better. But anybody can't deny that jumping from 165 PPI to 330 it's a HUGE improvement.  Here at work I can clearly see the diference between my 24in iMac (94 PPI) and my 27in iMac (108 PPI) at same viewing distance, and that's only a 15% increment on PPI.  What I really would've loved to see is a refresh ot the 3 year old 30in cinema display with the same PPI of the iPhone 3G (from 100 to 165 PPI)... imagine that, a 4224 x 2640 30 inch display...  that would grab my attention immediately! . Of course, like you said, there's other variables and I guess that's why apple choose to refresh the cinema displays first with LED instead of increasing the PPI...
« Last Edit: June 09, 2010, 06:12:29 pm by AldoMurillo »
Aldo Murillo

douglasf13

« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2010, 06:52:00 pm »

I agree, and, in this case, the marketing numbers don't show how superior the Apple display is.  A few of the major tech blogs are saying the iPhone 4 screen blows everything out there away, even the resolution isn't THAT much greater.

pschefz

« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2010, 01:31:24 am »

I am also looking forward to working with the camera....instead of simply cramming more pix in there, they actually kept the pix size the same and made the sensor larger! what a concept....

so far everybody is saying the screen is the best there is so far....but the htc one seems to be pretty amazing as well....either one would be fine on any camera...
schefz.com
artloch.com

Doug Peterson

• http://www.doug-peterson.com
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2010, 10:28:29 am »

I agree with you.  Theres a lot of variables in the IQ of a display besides PPI, but if all the other variables (contrast, angle etc etc) are equal the more PPI the better.

You're not kidding. Especially when as photographers our requirements are often exactly opposite of the consumer. Consumers want bright, super saturated, contrasty displays.

We want (generally) color accurate, color stable monitors with highly controlled contrast and brightness. We also care about things like evenness of illumination, viewing angle, calibration precision/accuracy, and how well tonal transitions are done (always a big problem for consumer monitors and even monitors marketed as being for photography) and correct shadow/highlight detail rendering.

That said I would KILL for a display with good photographic properties which also had 300+ ppi. I could not believe the spec when I saw it introduced; I assume someone made a typo. I thought I was pretty on top of technological trends and what was forthcoming, but 300+ ppi was not on my radar for 2010. It tells me that in a few years we can expect high-end photo monitors to also have 300+ ppi and that will be good news for everyone.

Plus not every photographic application demands monitors with stellar photographic specs. I bought an iPad mostly to use it to show portfolio work. It is bright, contrasty, saturated and you can't calibrate it, and the tonal transitions are not fantastic, BUT when you're showing a client all they notice is the picture looks "pretty". I couldn't use it for retouching, judging image adjustments, or print-matching, but I can use it to wow potential clients. Of course now I wish my iPad was 300+ ppi! I've got PPI envy!

Also 300ppi would be killer for something like a 5DIII or the RED cameras for video since it's pretty hard to judge fine focus as it is on the LCD (without zooming and thereby losing the ability to view the full frame).

Doug Peterson
Newsletter: Read Latest or Sign Up
RSS Feed: Subscribe
Buy Capture One at 10% off
Personal Work

Guy Mancuso

• http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/index.php
« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2010, 11:04:42 am »

I would just love to even have the Iphone tethered if nothing else. Just make a Apple connection to Firewire 400 cable and make C1 Iphone friendly just for tethered shooting it writes to the CF card as usual but sends a small preview to the Iphone. Just have to buy shirts with pockets. LOL

Can we pass this on PLEASE.
[url=http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/showt

adammork

« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2010, 11:11:32 am »

Quote from: dougpetersonci
Also 300ppi would be killer for something like a 5DIII or the RED cameras for video since it's pretty hard to judge fine focus as it is on the LCD (without zooming and thereby losing the ability to view the full frame).

Doug Peterson
Newsletter: Read Latest or Sign Up
RSS Feed: Subscribe
Buy Capture One at 10% off
Personal Work

.... and on a phase/leaf/hasselblad/sinar....... it sounds like a broken record - but for how f...... long do we still have to put up with this laughable displays on our backs - when other electronic devices for a fraction of the price can deliver a proper display  - feeling better now    - well at least until I look at my MF display again.....

/A

AldoMurillo

« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2010, 11:20:58 am »

Quote from: dougpetersonci
It tells me that in a few years we can expect high-end photo monitors to also have 300+ ppi and that will be good news for everyone.

[/font]

Even 300 PPI for consumers are great news for photographers and designers.   With the iPad everybody knows that web and electronic publications are the future (for me those are the present) and I've heard many times that todays DSLR's are to much for a 1024x768 px web images and MFD is WAY to much for that (and I agree just with the resolution standing point)...  suddendly with this kind of displays instead of filling a 1024x768 px space at 100 PPI we will have to fill a 3072 x 2304 space at 300 PPI and that's are awesome new's for me... it will show all the flaws or all the awesome details in a photograph.    Of course theres room left for improvement like wider gamut, contrast etc etc.

As Guy said, I would love to see any kind of wireless preview implementation on this iPhone... or iPad.

Aldo Murillo

adammork

« Reply #19 on: June 10, 2010, 11:27:37 am »

As Guy said, I would love to see any kind of wireless preview implementation on this iPhone... or iPad.

I would love that too - but after they have put that screen on the back itself.... Photokina is not that far away..... come on surprice us!  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up