Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Lightroom 3 available  (Read 18513 times)

seamus finn

Lightroom 3 available
« Reply #40 on: June 08, 2010, 03:01:12 pm »

The dilemma is this: should you haul out the CC (to quote Dark) for PS5 as well?  In Europe, it's an issue, considering the continuing decline of the Euro. For you lucky consumers in the US, be happy. Between both apps, there' a lot going on.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2010, 03:15:32 pm by seamus finn »

Snook

Lightroom 3 available
« Reply #41 on: June 08, 2010, 04:32:30 pm »

Anybody know if tethering with a PhaseOne back works or is it only dslr's?
Thanks
Snook

Richowens

Lightroom 3 available
« Reply #42 on: June 08, 2010, 04:44:46 pm »

Snook,

Right now only certain Canons and Nikons.

Rich

Snook

Lightroom 3 available
« Reply #43 on: June 08, 2010, 04:47:47 pm »

OK... Thanks
Snook

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
Lightroom 3 available
« Reply #44 on: June 08, 2010, 05:15:17 pm »

We didn’t get soft proofing in this version. Hopefully 4.0.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

DarkPenguin

Lightroom 3 available
« Reply #45 on: June 08, 2010, 07:09:37 pm »

Quote from: seamus finn
The dilemma is this: should you haul out the CC (to quote Dark) for PS5 as well?  In Europe, it's an issue, considering the continuing decline of the Euro. For you lucky consumers in the US, be happy. Between both apps, there' a lot going on.

Had they held off on LR3 for a few more days I'd have ordered CS5.  (Trial would have run out.)  As it is I'm not so keen on upgrading to CS5 right now.  I'm sure I will.  Just not sure when.

semillerimages

• http://www.semillerimages.com
Lightroom 3 available
« Reply #46 on: June 08, 2010, 07:24:14 pm »

This is a cross post, but I did discover that if you upgrade to CS5 and Lightroom 3 you get the $30 off of Lightroom - even though the website makes it seem like you only get the discount if you buy a full version of CS5. This is in the US store...
Cheers,

*steve

Quote from: DarkPenguin
Had they held off on LR3 for a few more days I'd have ordered CS5.  (Trial would have run out.)  As it is I'm not so keen on upgrading to CS5 right now.  I'm sure I will.  Just not sure when.
semillerimages.com

Michael West

Lightroom 3 available
« Reply #47 on: June 08, 2010, 10:17:54 pm »

The full release's Automatic Lens Profiling of my Canon 24-105 is pretty amazing.

It appears to minimally increase the size of the image

dreed

Lightroom 3 available
« Reply #48 on: June 08, 2010, 10:53:41 pm »

Quote from: Michael West
The full release's Automatic Lens Profiling of my Canon 24-105 is pretty amazing.

It appears to minimally increase the size of the image

But it doesn't...if you look at the image dimensions, they do not change when you enable the lens corrections.

What I don't like about applying corrections like this is that LR3 has to create new pixels from nothing (as opposed to tilting & cropping.)

For some Canon lenses, there are two profiles: an Adobe profile and a Canon profile. In many instances, they do not produce the same image. Does anyone have the scoop on this?

Michael West

Lightroom 3 available
« Reply #49 on: June 08, 2010, 11:28:16 pm »

Quote from: dreed
But it doesn't...if you look at the image dimensions, they do not change when you enable the lens corrections.

What I don't like about applying corrections like this is that LR3 has to create new pixels from nothing (as opposed to tilting & cropping.)

For some Canon lenses, there are two profiles: an Adobe profile and a Canon profile. In many instances, they do not produce the same image. Does anyone have the scoop on this?

The instance in whcih the image appeared" to have had a minimal increase in size was due I believe to the correction including the reduction or elimination of some pincushioning.

the pair of profiles, as you mentioned  seems a bit odd

Jim Pascoe

• http://www.jimpascoe.co.uk
Lightroom 3 available
« Reply #50 on: June 10, 2010, 09:36:05 am »

Just installed LR3 this morning and now using it to edit a new shoot.  All I can say is WOW!.  The speed difference when using the tools in the develop module is significant.  I have been toying with the idea of getting a Mac Pro to replace my Macbook Pro as LR2 just seemed to be a bit too slow when working on lots of pictures such as a wedding shoot.  I seemed to spend too much time waiting for tools to take effect, may be just a second a time, but when working at speed on 500 consecutive pictures it was getting frustrating.  Now the whole experience is more snappy.  Not had time to use other modules yet, but the speed increase may have just saved me £2500 on a new Mac!

stever

Lightroom 3 available
« Reply #51 on: June 10, 2010, 11:20:41 pm »

i'm sorry, i don't get this - LR3 has lens correction, but only from CS5 ??!!

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
Lightroom 3 available
« Reply #52 on: June 10, 2010, 11:27:16 pm »

Quote from: stever

When you select “Edit with Photoshop”, LR doesn’t have to render out the data like it did in 1.0, instead it uses ACR to do this and open the doc in Photoshop. So obviously the version of ACR running in Photoshop has to be in sync with the raw processing features in LR. So say you have CS4 and LR3. That older version of ACR doesn’t have lens correction so it will not be applied although you can still use the “Edit in Photoshop” command. The alternative is to render out from LR itself (Export). Then open in Photoshop and of course, you’ll get your lens correction.

This architecture is kind of nice because Adobe doesn’t force you to upgrade Photoshop to match LR. But if the two are in sync, its faster to have the option to use the Edit in Photoshop option.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

Rhossydd

• http://www.paulholman.com
Lightroom 3 available
« Reply #53 on: June 11, 2010, 02:07:10 am »

Quote from: stever
I think you're confused here. Lens correction IS available in LR3.
As I understand it, the reference to CS5 is with respect to the lens correction module in LR not being able to access the pool of extra user uploaded lens calibration profiles. The lack of this facility might just be an oversight that's rectified in future bugs fixes.

It's another question if that is something you need anyway. User supplied profiles might be very good or, if poorly made, worse than the defaults.

I assume that it's possible to build your own with the lens profiler download from Adobe labs and install them into LR3.

stever

Lightroom 3 available
« Reply #54 on: June 11, 2010, 10:35:47 pm »

in general, i'm not interested in verifying the goodness of somebody's correction, however i'm presently testing a Voigtlander 20 and pretty much like what i see - except the mustache distortion - don't expect this lens to be supported by Adobe

has anyone tried the profiler on wide angle "mustache" lenses?  my experience is that wide angle lenses require quite large targets for testing and extremely careful camera alignment

will probably download 3 this weekend but not interested in spending a lot of time on a low probability project

madmanchan

• Web
Lightroom 3 available
« Reply #55 on: June 12, 2010, 06:01:20 pm »

Yes, I have tried building a profile for wide-angle manual lenses (roughly 18 mm to 21 mm on 35 mm full frame cameras) with complex / moustache / wave distortion, and the resulting profile works well -- i.e., the mixed pincushion/barrel distortion both get factored out and the resulting image has straight lines.
Eric Chan

barryfitzgerald

Lightroom 3 available
« Reply #56 on: June 13, 2010, 05:39:22 am »

Good stuff IMO and I am very pleased that at last the distortion control is in here. Also very pleased that Adobe has addressed the NR issues and a lot of good work gone into this release.
LR3 is now almost exactly what I have been looking for well done!

Nice to see a company take feedback seriously it's really helped the product overall

Rhossydd

• http://www.paulholman.com
Lightroom 3 available
« Reply #57 on: June 13, 2010, 05:57:27 am »

Quote from: barryfitzgerald
LR3 is now almost exactly what I have been looking for well done!
Agreed.
Just waiting for soft proofing now, but I suppose Adobe will hold that one to ensure a good number of upgraders on version 4.

eleanorbrown

• Eleanor Brown Photography
Lightroom 3 available
« Reply #58 on: June 14, 2010, 12:49:48 pm »

Does anyone have any idea why Lightroom 3 has no soft proofing options?  Thanks, Eleanor
Eleanor Brown
[url=http://www.eleanorbro

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
Lightroom 3 available
« Reply #59 on: June 14, 2010, 01:22:13 pm »

Hi Eleanor,

I agree it's a pity that there is no soft proof in LR3, still I see some advantages with L3, one is the new processing pipeline which maintains sharpness better than the old one. The two other great things is a noise reduction that actually works and the new lens corrections.

I posted my experiments with the new processing pipeline (based on LR3 Beta 2) here: http://echophoto.dnsalias.net/ekr/index.ph...htroom-3-beta-2

Best regards
Erik

Quote from: eleanorbrown
Does anyone have any idea why Lightroom 3 has no soft proofing options?  Thanks, Eleanor
Erik Kaffehr

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up