Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Duck family on the move  (Read 2683 times)

seamus finn

Duck family on the move
« on: June 07, 2010, 03:35:39 pm »

Driving near my home this afternoon, I spotted this family waddling along the roadside. It made my day.

[attachment=22460:duck_family_0013.jpg]

seamus finn

Duck family on the move
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2010, 02:53:56 pm »

Obviously it didn't make yours!!!

francois

Duck family on the move
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2010, 02:11:37 am »

Very pleasing image! It almost looks staged - take it as a compliment. Frankly; I'd be proud if I was the photographer - I never managed to get decent shots with ducks.
Francois

Colorwave

• Colorwave Imaging
Duck family on the move
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2010, 12:21:42 pm »

I love the ducks themselves, but am not crazy about the tonality and way that the texture of the grass competes with the subject.  Perhaps you could lower the contrast in the area surrounding the ducks?  It's really amazing that the baby ducks all look synchronized, as they usually seem like a more disorganized marching formation.  You caught mom and babies at a very nice moment.
-Ron H.
[url=http://colorwaveimaging.com

seamus finn

Duck family on the move
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2010, 03:19:32 pm »

Thanks, Francois - nice compliment.

Ron, looking at it again, you're absolutely right.  Maybe the original colour version addresses the problem. I'd be very interested in opinions because I really like the picture .

Seamus

[attachment=22534:ducks_4.jpg]

Colorwave

• Colorwave Imaging
Duck family on the move
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2010, 03:37:49 pm »

Seamus-
For me, that makes a big difference.  I'm normally a big fan of black and white, including toned versions, but I think you need the separation offered by the color contrast, in this case, or you need to use color more to your advantage when you convert to B&W by lightening or darkening the green channel.  I don't normally mess with other people's images here, but decided to see what a slight Orton effect would do to this one.  I hope you don't object to my taking the liberty.  I used OnOne PhotoTools, but if you are not familiar with the concept, there are a number of ways to accomplish it, including a number of freely distributed actions to run inside Photoshop.  It can occasionally be heavy handed, but in this case I think a light version of this effect tones down some of the stronger contrast and lets the sweetness of the scene play a more dominant role.  Specifically, it crushes the blacks and diffuses them slightly, while upping the color saturation just a bit.
-Ron H.
[url=http://colorwaveimaging.com

Enda Cavanagh

• http://www.endacavanagh.com
Duck family on the move
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2010, 04:20:24 pm »

Hi Seamus
I think the colour photo is a better option alright, but I think you have a very strong orange/yellow colour cast. You might have wanted to bring out the golden feathers of the ducklings but the grass looks unnaturally yesllow. Also I would blur out the grass in the background more to focus on the ducks.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2010, 04:21:11 pm by Enda Cavanagh »

francois

Duck family on the move
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2010, 02:49:59 am »

Quote from: Enda Cavanagh
Hi Seamus
I think the colour photo is a better option alright, but I think you have a very strong orange/yellow colour cast. You might have wanted to bring out the golden feathers of the ducklings but the grass looks unnaturally yesllow. Also I would blur out the grass in the background more to focus on the ducks.
I fully agree with your comment on the color version. The greens reminds me of the greens I got with the (very) early versions of Capture One converter
Francois

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
Duck family on the move
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2010, 03:26:06 am »

I'll vote for the colour version as well (and I usually prefer black and white where possible).

Jeremy

seamus finn

Duck family on the move
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2010, 09:25:00 am »

Thanks very much everybody for your input.  I've tried to implement the various suggestions.

[attachment=22551:duck_fam...best_col.jpg]

JulianShelton

Duck family on the move
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2010, 10:48:22 pm »

Quote from: seamus finn
Driving near my home this afternoon, I spotted this family waddling along the roadside. It made my day.

[attachment=22460:duck_family_0013.jpg]

I am new here, but I thought I'd register and start posting. Believe it or not, but I actually like the black and white. The texture issues are a little difficult, but I think it can be resolved with a little post processing. Here is my stab at it. Great picture, btw:
[attachment=22622:duck_fam...best_col.jpg]

*The artifacts are because I compressed the jpeg
« Last Edit: June 15, 2010, 10:49:47 pm by JulianShelton »

francois

Duck family on the move
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2010, 03:12:40 am »

Quote from: JulianShelton
I am new here, but I thought I'd register and start posting. Believe it or not, but I actually like the black and white. The texture issues are a little difficult, but I think it can be resolved with a little post processing. Here is my stab at it. Great picture, btw:
[attachment=22622:duck_fam...best_col.jpg]

*The artifacts are because I compressed the jpeg
Julian,
Welcome on the forum. The initial B/W version didn't demerit at all but I like your version a tad better.
Francois

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
Duck family on the move
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2010, 03:25:44 am »

Quote from: francois
Julian,
Welcome on the forum. The initial B/W version didn't demerit at all but I like your version a tad better.
I agree. I think this treatment does rival the colour version.

Jeremy
Pages: [1]   Go Up