Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: wholotta microphone noise  (Read 1732 times)

windhorse

wholotta microphone noise
« on: June 07, 2010, 03:29:07 pm »

Can noise coming from a microphone be caused by a faulty cable repair?

This afternoon I mounted my old Sennheiser MKE300 microphone on my shiny new TM300 camcorder and it sounded awful - as if a jet plane was taking off in the room where I was doing the test recording. After checking with another good old condenser microphone that I had stored away for a rainy day I established the problem was definitely the MKE300 not the camcorder.

Not surprising I found out as apparently the MKE300 is known to be a good mike with a lousy cable. So lousy in fact that the cable broke a few years ago when I was doing some work in Kathmandu and had it "repaired" by a local video technician then stored it away (together with the old condenser mic) until I got this TM300.

When I started to test the repaired MKE300 microphone on the new TM300 camcorder today I found out that it did record clear sound at fine levels but there was a constant cloud of noise: not clicks or cut outs but a continuous and loud wall of noise.

If I were still in Kathmandu I would go back to the same technician and ask him to take another look at it. But at the moment I am in Ghana. Before going hunting up and down through Accra for a local video technician who may be able to restore my MKE300 to its former glory by replacing or rewiring the cable I would like to know if the noise problem I am describing could be caused by the cable.

Or is it just noise coming from between my ears?

Of course I could always buy another microphone but before spending a few hundred dollars on that I would like to find out if my MKE300 is repairable or not, as I already have enough paperweights.
Pages: [1]   Go Up