Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Lightroom 3 Beta Expiring June 30th  (Read 7572 times)

StuartOnline

• Travels Photographer Stuart Schaefer
Lightroom 3 Beta Expiring June 30th
« on: June 07, 2010, 09:17:04 am »

Just wondering if there is any word when the final version of Lightroom 3 will be released?
On the Adobe Labs Website: http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/lightroom3/ it states "The current Lightroom 3 public beta 2 will expire on June 30, 2010."
Does this mean that the final will be released on or about July 1st? Or does it mean a new beta will be released?

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2010, 09:27:41 am »

Anyone who knows can't say. Anyone who doesn't know is merely guessing.

Photo Op

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2010, 10:14:43 am »

Quote from: StuartOnline
Just wondering if there is any word when the final version of Lightroom 3 will be released?
On the Adobe Labs Website: http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/lightroom3/ it states "The current Lightroom 3 public beta 2 will expire on June 30, 2010."
Does this mean that the final will be released on or about July 1st? Or does it mean a new beta will be released?

Very recent blogs seem to indicate that LR3 will be released BEFORE July 1.  See below-

http://blogs.adobe.com/jnack/
David

StuartOnline

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2010, 09:06:14 pm »

To my surprise if you now go to http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshoplightroom/
and click on buy it comes up Lightroom 3. So it looks like it is now available.

Colorwave

• Colorwave Imaging
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2010, 09:12:18 pm »

Hmmmm . . . that's either a mistake, or the ultimate soft rollout.  I'm pretty sure I didn't hear any trumpets sounding from Adobe HQ.
-Ron H.
[url=http://colorwaveimaging.com

StuartOnline

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2010, 09:19:33 pm »

Quote from: Colorwave
Hmmmm . . . that's either a mistake, or the ultimate soft rollout.  I'm pretty sure I didn't hear any trumpets sounding from Adobe HQ.

I just did a followup by logging on to my account with Adobe and checked to see it Lightroom 3 trail version was available.
Sure enough it was. It states is is a 30 day full version of Lightroom 3.
So maybe this is for real.

francois

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2010, 01:59:55 am »

Quote from: StuartOnline
I just did a followup by logging on to my account with Adobe and checked to see it Lightroom 3 trail version was available.
Sure enough it was. It states is is a 30 day full version of Lightroom 3.
So maybe this is for real.
Lightroom 3.0 has now been announced and is ready for purchase…

https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/tdrc/index.cf...oshop_lightroom
« Last Edit: June 08, 2010, 02:00:12 am by francois »
Francois

Morris Taub

• morristaubphotography
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2010, 03:11:01 am »

Quote from: francois

So, have you found soft proofing in the LR3?...

David Hufford

« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2010, 03:33:10 am »

Quote from: Morris Taub
So, have you found soft proofing in the LR3?...

The what's new page: http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshoplig...s/?view=topnew: mentions nothing about softproofing.
*Never fall in love with anything that c

DaveCurtis

• http://www.magiclight.co.nz
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2010, 03:36:50 am »

Quote from: drichi
The what's new page: http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshoplig...s/?view=topnew: mentions nothing about softproofing.

I can't find anything regarding soft proofing either.
If this is case then this is crap. How many more years do we have to wait!!!

Josh-H

• Wild Nature Photo Travel
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2010, 04:55:27 am »

Quote from: DaveDn
I can't find anything regarding soft proofing either.
If this is case then this is crap. How many more years do we have to wait!!!

I am in complete agreeance with you - Lightroom is bought to market as "simplifying photography from shoot to finish". Well last time I checked Soft Proofing was a pretty important part of the workflow of serious photographers. It is very disappointing. I really don't understand the time spent developing high level integration with websites such as flickr when something as critical  soft proofing is not included - makes no sense to me and points to a probable lack of understanding of photographers needs by Adobe.

I have purchased the 3.0 upgrade as the better RAW conversions and lens correction features make the upgrade alone worthwhile - but, the continued lack of soft proofing is really grating on me and my patience with Adobe is wearing thin in this regard. A rant is sure to follow on this on my blog when I have the time to vent in full.

Edit - I find it curious that we have not as yet heard from Michael R. and Jeff S. on this lack of Soft proofing - behind the scenes these two would surely have been pushing Adobe to include Soft Proofing - perhaps they know something about when it is coming down the line?
« Last Edit: June 08, 2010, 05:07:16 am by Josh-H »
Wild Nature Photo Travel

Ed Blagden

« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2010, 05:16:21 am »

Quote from: Josh-H
I am in complete agreeance with you - Lightroom is bought to market as "simplifying photography from shoot to finish". Well last time I checked Soft Proofing was a pretty important part of the workflow of serious photographers. It is very disappointing. I really don't understand the time spent developing high level integration with websites such as flickr when something as critical  soft proofing is not included - makes no sense to me and points to a probable lack of understanding of photographers needs by Adobe.

I have purchased the 3.0 upgrade as the better RAW conversions and lens correction features make the upgrade alone worthwhile - but, the continued lack of soft proofing is really grating on me and my patience with Adobe is wearing thin in this regard. A rant is sure to follow on this on my blog when I have the time to vent in full.
+1 to that.  

A very strange omission.  Photoshop has had soft proofing for some time, so why can't they just implement the feature in LR?  No doubt I will be pounced upon by the teccies for asking such an ignorant question, but that's how it looks to a non-geek.  

Also, I do not believe that Adobe don't know that this is a much-wanted feature.  Adobe engineers and consultants are frequent visitors to this site, and they are not blind or deaf.  Reminds me of Canon's obstinate refusal to include a MLU button on their EOS Cameras.

I'm very pissed off about this.  As a latecomer to Digital I went straight for Lightroom and have never bothered with Photoshop, and I don't want to spend all that money and climb another learning curve just to get Soft Proofing.  If this is Adobe's cunning plan to persuade LR users to get Photoshop then it is an epic fail.

I'm now going to take a serious look at Aperture.  I have wasted lots of paper and ink in the past due to the absence of this feature, and I had been sticking to LR in the hope that the feature would be in v3.  If Adobe don't want to provide it, then I need to look around for someone who does.

Ed

DaveCurtis

• http://www.magiclight.co.nz
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2010, 05:48:37 am »

+1 to that.  
Yes, Canon MLU. It crossed my mined too  

What we really need is more competition in this market space. Then perhaps we wouldn't be getting drip fed the functionality we really require.

John R Smith

• Still crazy, after all these years
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2010, 06:08:57 am »

Frankly, I think all of this is a bit unfair. It would be rather better to assess LR3 for what it has got in it rather than for omitting a feature which Adobe never suggested that they were going to include anyhow. There are some features which I would personally like to have, like a proper clone tool for example (which frustratingly is almost there with spot removal), but that is not a reason to rubbish the rest of the application.

I have downloaded the 30-day trial, and I shall give it a whirl.

John
Hasselblad 500 C/M, SWC and CFV-39 DB
an

francois

« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2010, 06:48:19 am »

Quote from: francois

No trace of soft-proofing…  
Francois

NikoJorj

• http://nikojorj.free.fr/
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2010, 07:00:44 am »

Quote from: Ed Blagden
A very strange omission.  Photoshop has had soft proofing for some time, so why can't they just implement the feature in LR?
The answer has sometimes been that they were redoing it from scratch, in a different way... and it has been said today that it was a tough decision not to include it, but the feature wasn't completely ready. So we're down to hope for a very improbable alpha leak I guess.  
Too bad, I was also impatiently waiting for it, to really complete the workflow (even if printing from LR is already ahead of PS in workflow terms).
Nicolas from Grenoble
A small gallery

David Hufford

« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2010, 07:12:03 am »

Although I was all giggly with excitement about the ability to export directly to flickr without downloading a preset, the lack of soft proofing will save me $100 ---unless I decide to throw in the towel and start over with Aperture.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2010, 07:14:01 am by drichi »
*Never fall in love with anything that c

Ed Blagden

« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2010, 08:50:21 am »

Quote from: NikoJorj
The answer has sometimes been that they were redoing it from scratch, in a different way... and it has been said today that it was a tough decision not to include it, but the feature wasn't completely ready. So we're down to hope for a very improbable alpha leak I guess.  

Source?  If it's true that they want to include but are not ready yet then I feel slightly better and my attack of red mist will no doubt clear up in due course.

Oh well, I suppose I will have to continue to print 6x4 hard-proofs until Adobe comes up with the goods.  Bother.

Morris Taub

• morristaubphotography
« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2010, 10:01:07 am »

Quote from: NikoJorj
Too bad, I was also impatiently waiting for it, to really complete the workflow (even if printing from LR is already ahead of PS in workflow terms).

Hi Nicolas, where did you read that, about it being a tough decision not to include soft proofing?...

me too, waiting for it to complete a very nice workflow...

I guess it is hard to imagine it as a 3.x upgrade for free, but I'm hoping it's doable, hoping it gets done...also hard to imagine waiting another 18 months for it...

don't get me wrong, I'm lovin' Lightroom, it's evolving into a very useful program for me, so I don't mean to put it down...just soft proofing would be a good thing...and way back, around 2008, jeff schewe made it sound like soft proofing would come to lightroom 3, but i guess all these things are up in the air until they aren't...

that said, does Aperture do parametric soft proofing? how about capture one?...I haven't checked the competition, yet...though when I bought LR 2 in 2008 I tried a trial of Aperture 3 and just couldn't get used to it...same for an Aperture 3 trial (don't recall it having soft proof ability without exporting to tiff, etc.)...
« Last Edit: June 08, 2010, 12:46:04 pm by Morris Taub »

NikoJorj

• http://nikojorj.free.fr/
« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2010, 06:36:55 am »

Source was chitchatting only, with someone who is maybe alpha tester or something like that...
Wondering what insiders as Eric Chan or Jeff Schewe could add without breaking NDAs.

On a more general note, one should perhaps not say that this 80% full glass is empty!  
But yes, I miss softproofing too.
Nicolas from Grenoble
A small gallery
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up