Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hello  (Read 7694 times)

RobertJ

Hello
« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2005, 10:51:44 pm »

I totally understand.  A solid feeling camera is hard to put down.

About the Fuji S3, I'm not sure, but if you're shooting in a studio type setting, you might want to consider it, otherwise, I don't believe it's as versatile as the Nikons.

T-1000

Murph

Hello
« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2005, 07:18:27 am »

I'm going to wait until after the PMA show.  Then make the choice.  I AM going to get eventually the camera I have come to covet: D2X Nikon.  More megapixels, which allows me to shoot my favorite choice- Landscapes.

In the meantime till I can save the Shekels, I'll probably get something like a D-100/D-70 camera to tide me over.

Blotzphoto

Hello
« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2005, 10:07:22 am »

If you really need a fast 50mm (actually a 75 mm in aps size digital), I'd skip the 50 1.4, which is clunky and expensive, and grab a 50 1.8. Just a little slower, but much lighter and cheaper. I do almost all my day to day shooting on my D1X with a 28-105 afd macro. Its a nifty all purpose lense.

Murph

Hello
« Reply #23 on: February 26, 2005, 08:11:12 pm »

Oh. My. G_d.  I just got some film out to load in my TLR, and it expired in 1992!  Its been in the freezer, but.....  Also I just pulled 24 sheets of 4x5 film from the film holders of my 4x5 that are a decade old!  D@mn, Blast, and heck.  I cannot believe that its been that long since I did some SERIOUS photography.  My 35mm B&W film is as old as the film for the 2 1/4.  

The wife has agreed that I get one weekend a month to go do photography.  I can't believe it has been over a decade since I got to go out and shoot film.  But for eight of those years money was so tight, I almost sold my cameras.

boku

• http://www.bobkulonphoto.com
Hello
« Reply #24 on: January 16, 2005, 07:49:07 am »

Just a little point. I have experienced quality problems with that Lexar card. For the same money, the Sandisk Ultra III or Extreme are my choice. Good luck in your transition.
Bob Kulon

Oh, one more thing...[b

BryanHansel

• www.bryanhansel.com
Hello
« Reply #25 on: January 17, 2005, 06:00:22 pm »

I'd think about saving money on your 1GB card.  I'm not sure that you'd notice the difference between 40x and 80x on a D100.  I like the flash system on my D70 much better than that on the D100, so you may want to check that out before you buy the D100.  The 24mm end of the 24 -120 isn't very wide, but VR is nice.

If I didn't have any lenses and was just buying a Nikon digital, I'd get the 17-55 DX or 18-whatever DX, and the 70-300ED.  The second two lenses would save you money.  If you're not worried about that then get a 70-200VR.  I bet the 17-55 DX and 70-200 would be a great two starting lenses for you.  If I'm not mistaken, someone correct me here, the 17-55 and 70-200 both share 77mm filters. I'd skip the 50.  Do you really need the extra speed???
Bryan Hansel
[url=http://www.paddling

BryanHansel

• www.bryanhansel.com
Hello
« Reply #26 on: January 18, 2005, 12:53:23 pm »

Everyone's gotta have a 50 in their bag, or else you're not a photographer.

T-1000
I knew that I was missing something.  Does having a 50 for a camera that I no longer use ever count???
Bryan Hansel
[url=http://www.paddling

BJL

Hello
« Reply #27 on: January 19, 2005, 01:59:08 pm »

T-1000
I knew that I was missing something.  Does having a 50 for a camera that I no longer use ever count???
Close enough. You're in.
Good, so my dusty Pentax 50/1.7 gets me into the club. But I had almost completely stopped using it by the end of my days with Pentax bodies.

On the other hand, I would definitely find use for a 50mm macro lens with a DSLR (or the Nikon 60mm 1:1 micro for the D70 or D100).

boku

• http://www.bobkulonphoto.com
Hello
« Reply #28 on: January 20, 2005, 09:21:48 am »

Geez, guys, you're giving me an inferiority complex.  I've never even owned a prime lens, much less a 50.  Then again, my little photos are just vacation snapshots that have gotten a little out of hand, so maybe I'm not a "real" photographer.  

Lisa
 :laugh:

P.S.  I'm a D70 shooter, and love the camera.
Lisa,

Having seen and admired your stuff for some time, I assure you you have a virtual 50 in your bag. Your in. Way in.

Bob
Bob Kulon

Oh, one more thing...[b

karelg

Hello
« Reply #29 on: January 20, 2005, 09:42:21 am »

I plan on getting a Nikon D-100 in March.  The D-100 "feels" right to me, moreso than the D-70, and the D-2x is out of my ability to purchase, especially since I need lenses.  
Sorry, I can't help with your lens choice since I am not familiar with Nikon's line (I love my Tamron 28-75/2.8 on my Canon 20D): you decide if you want to go with 3d party, what focal lenghts and speed you like.

But when you say a certain camera "feels" right to you, that is VERY important! THAT is what makes you want to go out there and USE the darn thing!

That is how I decided which brand to choose (10 years ago) and how I decided I wanted the 20D (and not e.g. a 10D). But I have been playing with the idea of the "best bang for the buck" Nikon D70....

Jonathan Wienke

• http://visual-vacations.com/
Hello
« Reply #30 on: January 21, 2005, 12:13:18 am »

He's likely out shooting in the Sierras somewhere now that it isn't snowing/raining every day.

BJL

Hello
« Reply #31 on: January 23, 2005, 04:31:40 pm »

I think that I will probably end up with the D-100 and the 18-70mm lens.  
With a major industry show coming soon (PMA, late Feb.), and the D-100 being about the oldest DSLR models still on the market, you might well get another option to consider real soon now. Though maybe not actually available for some months after its trade show debut.

Murph

Hello
« Reply #32 on: August 17, 2009, 11:01:50 pm »

Ended up with the D70, the NAS hit, and it became a D2X, then a "backup" D80, then a D700.  I loved the D70, my sister in law now has it.  The D2X was my workhorse for three years.

Quote from: T-1000
Murph, I would definitely go for the D70 instead of the D100.  It's common to think the D100 is the better camera, but this is not true.  Build quality-wise, the D100 is better, but the D70 is one of those plastic fantastics.  Faster frames per second, 1/500th flash sync compared to 1/180th on the D100, faster maximum shutter speed, broader range of ISO useage, and newer technology/sensor technology in general.  

I've used my friend's D70, and it's a good camera.  In fact, I fell in love with it for the one day that I used it, and I don't even shoot Nikon.  It's the best bang for your buck, and also, you're just starting out in digital, so I feel that it's a good starter camera.  Who knows, maybe a "D200" is just around the corner.  Hope you make a decision soon, then buy it, and have fun.

T-1000
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up