Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Vista & 8 gb of RAM vs Windows 7 & 4 gb of RAM  (Read 3624 times)

dmerger

Vista & 8 gb of RAM vs Windows 7 & 4 gb of RAM
« on: June 05, 2010, 10:24:10 am »

I have my choice between two computers.  One computer has 64-bit Vista with 8 gb of RAM.  The other computer has 64-bit Windows 7 with 4 gb of RAM.  The computers are otherwise identical. More RAM cannot be added to either computer.  

Which computer would be better for Photoshop?
Dean Erger

Craig Lamson

• Craig Lamson Photo Homepage
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2010, 10:39:37 am »

Quote from: dmerger
I have my choice between two computers.  One computer has 64-bit Vista with 8 gb of RAM.  The other computer has 64-bit Windows 7 with 4 gb of RAM.  The computers are otherwise identical. More RAM cannot be added to either computer.  

I had some problems with Vista 64, better after sp1.  W7 64 has been flawless on 5 machines. Question, does the 4gb machine have ony two slots?
Craig Lamson Photo

dmerger

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2010, 10:50:52 am »

The two computers (used) are actually the same machine, with four RAM slots, but it will not operate properly with Windows 7 and 8 gb of RAM.  Professional computer techs have tried to solve this problem to no avail.  So, I’m left with the options stated above.
Dean Erger

John.Murray

• Images by Murray
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2010, 12:10:14 pm »

The two computers (used) are actually the same machine, with four RAM slots, but it will not operate properly with Windows 7 and 8 gb of RAM.  Professional computer techs have tried to solve this problem to no avail.  So, I’m left with the options stated above.

what is it?  (model, or if custom built, mainboard)

dmerger

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2010, 12:12:52 pm »

HP XW4400
Dean Erger

PeterAit

• Peter Aitken Photographs
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2010, 12:55:51 pm »

Assuming you run the 64-bit version of PS, then Vista with 8 GB would be better for running PS but maybe not for the overall computing experience. But, the memory difference won't come into play uinless you edit large images.

You probably can add RAM to the Win 7 computer, by replacing (instead of adding to) the memory chips.

dmerger

« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2010, 01:06:14 pm »

Quote from: PeterAit
You probably can add RAM to the Win 7 computer, by replacing (instead of adding to) the memory chips.

Replacing the RAM chips won't solve the problem. I understand that using four 2gb sticks of RAM does not work properly with this machine and Windows 7, but works fine with Vista.
Dean Erger

dmerger

« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2010, 01:08:22 pm »

Quote from: PeterAit
Assuming you run the 64-bit version of PS, then Vista with 8 GB would be better for running PS but maybe not for the overall computing experience. But, the memory difference won't come into play uinless you edit large images.

Yes, I would run the 64-bit version of Photoshop and I do work on large images.
Dean Erger

PeterAit

• Peter Aitken Photographs
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2010, 05:33:57 pm »

Yes, I would run the 64-bit version of Photoshop and I do work on large images.

Then I'd go with Vista and 8 GB. I used 64 bit Vista for quite a while with PS and LR and it was fine because I didn't much use the various aspects of Vista that are clunky.
Pages: [1]   Go Up