Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 15 or 17 inch  (Read 3536 times)

rethmeier

• http://www.willemrethmeier.com
15 or 17 inch
« on: June 05, 2010, 04:22:03 am »

Follow members,
I'm about to upgrade my 15 inch MacBook  Pro Powerbook.
Has anybody seen the new Mac non gloss screens on their new laptops?

Also,I'm keen on the 17inch this time.

Any negatives?

i5 or i7?

SSD drives or the 7200 ?
Willem Rethmeier
www.willemrethmeier.com

Pelao

15 or 17 inch
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2010, 07:47:08 am »

The 17 really pushes the definition of portable. If you only move your computer occasionally, and straight from one place to another, then it's fine. But if you need to carry it a lot, it could be a burden.

If a bigger screen is what you need, plus portability, then my preferred solution is the 15 plus a good, accurate external monitor.

Geoffrey

15 or 17 inch
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2010, 07:30:22 am »

Just upgraded the 3+ yr old 17" for the newer 15" with SSD, the computer is way faster, and only a little smaller. About 1" in length, and 1/2" in depth. The screen (matte) is smaller, quite nice tho, and with higher res recommended.

Mine had to go back to Apple for some USB port issues (new logic board) and has an occasional screen flicker. Not sure what that is about (does it about every 2-3 days). So I'd recommend getting it from a good source, in case there are issues. But SSD really rocks - probably about 2x as fast as a HD.

rethmeier

• http://www.willemrethmeier.com
15 or 17 inch
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2010, 08:07:29 am »

Have purchased the new 17 inch with the i7 and anti glare screen.
It's fab and I can't imagine living with the glossy.
Best,
Willem.
Willem Rethmeier
www.willemrethmeier.com

Anders_HK

• andersloof.com
15 or 17 inch
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2010, 09:44:15 am »

Edit:

Willem,

I really should have read your last post prior to posting!

Congratulations!!!

Regards
Anders

---------

Quote from: Pelao
The 17 really pushes the definition of portable. If you only move your computer occasionally, and straight from one place to another, then it's fine. But if you need to carry it a lot, it could be a burden.

Hi,

To above, nah.    

I have had the 17" with anti-glare, for over one year now. It is also what I use in office every day, carrying it in a backpack every day. A backpack makes simple to carry it. I can say that it is by far the best computer I had in my life. Before my 17 I had Windows for at least ten years. There is no way on earth I am stepping back. Mac 1) works, 2) is simple, 3) is far more advanced... and when I shopped around I compared to a 15" Lenovo that was same price range in Hong Kong...

For photographic processing I wish the screen was tad bigger, but... it is a compromise. A 15" widescreen would be too small for me.

I recommend the 17", just go with it. Look at the weights, it is lighter than most (if not all) 17" out there (even comparable to many 15" in weight). Then look at 17" being 2.99kg vs. 15" being 2.54kg. That is difference of only 450g.

All I can say I love mine. Got anti glare and 256 SSD.      

Also, I would not recommend the glossy screens for photographic processing, my wife has the 13".

Regards
Anders
« Last Edit: June 12, 2010, 09:47:48 am by Anders_HK »

RichardLechner

15 or 17 inch
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2010, 01:34:07 am »

I just upgraded my 6 year old 17" Anti Glare Power Book to a new 17" MacBook Pro, i7, 8GB RAM, 500GB HDD 7200rpm Anti Glare. I am very happy with it to say the least. The screen size is fabulous...!!! I looked at the 15" but I just couldn't make the down grade after so many years with my old 17".
I work a LOT with Photoshop and Lightroom and wouldn't have anything else but an Anti Glare screen.

I travel around with this laptop and size and weight has never been a problem in the last 6+ years. I bought a Matias case for it. https://eshop.macsales.com/search/Matias+Laptop+Armor It protects it well and makes it easy to cary around. Watch the 10" drop test they do with this case.

I don't think you will regret the 17" screen at all.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2010, 01:35:04 am by RichardLechner »

Jack Flesher

• www.getdpi.com
15 or 17 inch
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2010, 10:24:27 am »

I am using the 15" hi-res, antiglare i7, 8G RAM and like it. However it is NOT my main editing machine, it is rather specifically for travel and working in the field.  My real editing is done on a Mac Pro with a main 30" monitor and second 21" for menus, so yes I like screen real estate.  For my needs, the 15" is probably the ideal compromise as I'd rather carry a 13" for portability and better battery life, but would rather edit full-time on the largest monitor possible.  One point that should be noted: if you compare the 15" and 17" hi-res MacBook screens, they have the exact same pixel pitch. In this, they have the same image resolution capability when editing at 100% view.  Oh, and the newest unibody MacBook Pros are larger WxH (but thinner) than their predecessors, and I've heard reports that the 17" is an awkward and snug fit in the older Think-Tank 17" cases, if that is of any concern to you.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2010, 10:31:26 am by Jack Flesher »
Jack
[url=http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/

Ken Bennett

• http://www.kenbennettphoto.com
15 or 17 inch
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2010, 01:27:31 pm »

I just replaced my two year old 15-inch Macbook Pro with the new 17 inch i7 with the matte screen.

In my personal opinion, the 17 inch is not that much larger than the 15 inch, and the Express34 card slot makes it worth the extra size, weight, and cost. I have an OWC eSATA card for the slot, hooked up to an eSATA drive, and it's noticeably faster than Firewire 800.

Since this is my primary computer, I went for the most powerful processor and fastest hard drive, etc. In the studio it's hooked up to a NEC 26 inch display. The 17 inch MBP is not as fast and powerful as a Mac Pro, but it's a good compromise when I need portability and can afford only one machine.
Equipment: a camera and some lenses. https://www.instagram.com/wakeforestphoto/
Pages: [1]   Go Up