Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Tethering Fun  (Read 6242 times)

gotspeed

Tethering Fun
« on: June 04, 2010, 12:51:58 am »

The fw800 parts came in. The card looks like some kind of generic. The cable seems pretty good, but I wish it had an 90 elbow like the original leaf cable. It's not as secure as I would like it but it was dirt cheap.  

I am not sure all the driver stuff is installed correctly. At first it kind of hung when installing the driver for the leaf imaging device. The interesting part is that it that it includes their own drivers or you can switch to microsoft drivers. So I kind of flipped back and forth. I think I'll leave at microsoft setting for now.

Once I plugged in the power adapter into the card, the leaf back fired right up. It was dead without that external power.

Capture one, tries to connect then reports that the body/back combination is not compatible and that's that. I can't use it. I tried it in db mode and pro, with the same message. Any body know why that would be?

Leaf capture beta seems to be running better on this laptop than on my desktop. No weird error messages.  THe reason I am worried that things might not be all good as it takes like 6-10 seconds for the images to show up on the back and on the laptop. shooting with just CF card is much quicker. Is it really this slow? A few times I got db error after taking several quick images. And a few times a bw Leaf logo was displayed instead of the image. I think it got stuck and could not write to the app.

Well for the first try, at least I got some things going. I am still concerned about this adapter. I should try to test it outside of leaf capture with something. Wish C1 would work so I could compare. The body is the afd3/aptus ii6 /dl28 setup. Is this possibly because it's a Mamiya product? This is all cost under $100 if you are interested.

Quote from: gotspeed
OK so I figured to go cheap for now.. and with the uncertainties on the mbp fw power,  ordered an expresscard34  2x800fw with an external power supply. Will try to run c1 or lc beta.  If I buy a mac with the slot, this will still serve a purpose. I picked up a 800/800 cable, hopefully it will all work. I have a couple of 40w digital camera batteries if i am lucky they make a cable for the dc plug on the adapter.

yaya

• http://yayapro.com
Tethering Fun
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2010, 01:05:03 am »

In Capture One go to Preferences and select the camera type that you are using, it should then connect straight away.

Regarding the speed, hard so say without knowing all the details about your setup. I would suggest submitting a case via the Support Site as this will allow us to follow it though

Bear in mind that Windows does not FW800 so whichever driver you use it'll always run at 400 speed max.

Yair
Yair Shahar | Product Manager | Phase One - Cultural Heritage
e: ysh@phaseone.com |

dfarkas

• http://www.leicastoremiami.com
Tethering Fun
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2010, 08:22:14 am »

Quote from: yaya
Bear in mind that Windows does not FW800 so whichever driver you use it'll always run at 400 speed max.

Yair

Really?

Microsoft Supports 1394b (FireWire 800) in Windows 7

David Farkas
Leica Store Miami
www.leicastoremiami.com

Check out Red Dot Forum for Leica news, reviews, blogs and discussion

yaya

Tethering Fun
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2010, 09:28:09 am »

Quote from: dfarkas
Really?

try it with an 800 device alongside a Mac and let us have your findings pleas, thanks

yair

semillerimages

• http://www.semillerimages.com
Tethering Fun
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2010, 01:30:42 pm »

I just installed Windows 7 64bit on my dual opteron system. I have a SIIG Firewire 800 card, which is a couple of years old. The speeds were incredibly dismal until I did an exhaustive search on the internet and found that only by using the legacy drivers, not the new ones included with 7, I could get merely regular FW400 speeds from my FW800 devices.
I contacted SIIG about newer drivers, but I found out that my version of the card was not compatible with their newer drivers. So I'm stuck for the moment with a FW800 card at FW400 speeds using the old XP drivers on my fancyschmancy Win7 64bit machine.

I too would love to hear from others who might have happened to get the proper speeds of FW800 on their Win7 machines.

By the way, one of the great things about Win7 is that when you do file transfers in explorer it shows you the speed of the transfer or lack thereof.

*steve

try it with an 800 device alongside a Mac and let us have your findings pleas, thanks

yair
semillerimages.com

gotspeed

Tethering Fun
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2010, 02:11:52 pm »

My card is not a SIIG ( suspect same TI chipset for all these things. The included power adpater is a siig).  But the interesting thing is that with their drivers, it shows two network adapters, one 400 and one 800 mbs. If i switch to microsoft drivers the 800 mbs adapter icon disappears from the tray. Maybe I should assume then that I should be using their driver to get the 800mbs. But then, it would also mean that you have to know which of the two ports is 800? But the spec says it's a 2x800 so I don't get it. Is there anyway on the Leaf back or software to tell the connection speed?
« Last Edit: June 04, 2010, 02:18:07 pm by gotspeed »

Doug Peterson

• http://www.doug-peterson.com
Tethering Fun
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2010, 02:18:48 pm »

Quote from: dfarkas
Really?

Mac supported USB2 in OSX 10.5.5 and earlier. Of course "support" meant speeds 2-4 times slower than in Windows. :-)

If it was a high priority Microsoft could make FW800 fly in Windows, but since FW800 is used mostly by professional photographers and videographers which are largely Mac oriented, and because other options like USB3, eSata, and fiber are likely to leapfrog FW800 in the mid-term I suspect that will not happen.

Doug Peterson
Newsletter: Read Latest or Sign Up
RSS Feed: Subscribe
Buy Capture One at 10% off
Personal Work
« Last Edit: June 04, 2010, 02:19:06 pm by dougpetersonci »

dfarkas

• http://www.leicastoremiami.com
Tethering Fun
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2010, 06:46:11 pm »

Quote from: dougpetersonci
Mac supported USB2 in OSX 10.5.5 and earlier. Of course "support" meant speeds 2-4 times slower than in Windows. :-)

If it was a high priority Microsoft could make FW800 fly in Windows, but since FW800 is used mostly by professional photographers and videographers which are largely Mac oriented, and because other options like USB3, eSata, and fiber are likely to leapfrog FW800 in the mid-term I suspect that will not happen.

[font="Arial"]Doug Peterson

Doug,

I think you are right. You can get a Windows-based workstation with eSATA and USB 3.0 standard right now (Dell M6500). Too bad no such options exist in the Mac world yet. Oh yeah, and quad-core i7s, too.

I was seriously hoping the just-refreshed MBPs would have offered these features. Would have made getting my next laptop a whole lot easier decision. Too bad we'll have to wait another year (at least) for Apple to get at least USB 3 added.

I do hope that more manufacturers adopt the move to USB 3. Currently, the only peripheral I know of that uses USB 3 is an external WD HDD. Can't wait for support for storage units like the DROBO, for camera tethering and UDMA CF card readers (so we can get the full 90MB/s download speed of the latest cards vs. 72MB/s in FW800).

David

David Farkas
Leica Store Miami
www.leicastoremiami.com

Check out Red Dot Forum for Leica news, reviews, blogs and discussion

gotspeed

Tethering Fun
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2010, 12:13:38 pm »

Ok  so I got it tethering to C1 with Yair's assistance. My choices are AFD or DM as camera in the preferences. But it shows up as leaf aptus ii 6 in the capture panel. I have tried locating the live view in the LC and C1 and it appears it's disabled.  The C1 camera button and the menu Window->Live view is disabled as well. Isn't this back supposed to support it? Will keep trying. And they actually included a online manual for the dirver install. It appears my guess is correct. Their version of the drivers claim to support the 800 speed, while the ms version only does 400. This little utility that it comes with can switch between the two drivers on the fly. So back to their drivers...  Just tried using their drivers, and instead of being 2x faster, it's 2x slower.  So back to MS drivers. The back is usable after usual 2 sec delay, images don't show up for at least 10 seconds in LC and 14 secs in C1...
And this appers to be a knock off of the sonnet card and the drivers are the unibrain drivers.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2010, 04:32:56 pm by gotspeed »

cunim

Tethering Fun
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2010, 12:44:13 pm »

Quote from: dougpetersonci

I am having no particular problem with FW800 in W7/64 with quad-core CPUs (975 and 980).  Comparing a 980 desktop using the FW400 port with a Dell laptop (i7) running FW800 via a Sonnett xpresscard adapter, speeds are much better in FW800.  Same situation if I use the built in FW400 port on the laptop.  Haven't actually quantified the difference but it is substantial.  You do have to be very careful not to load two different FW drivers at the same time.  So, I uninstall the motherboard FW400 support and just run the Unibrain driver with the Sonnett card.  Check device manager periodically to make sure something hasn't reinstalled the FW400 port under Windows drivers (it happens, don't know why).

I power the Sonnett card with its wall wart or a battery to give me power for the Hasselblad back.

Is the whole thing stable?  No, but I don't think that is a firewire issue.

yaya

Tethering Fun
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2010, 01:18:00 pm »

Ok  so I got it tethering to C1 with Yair's assistance. My choices are AFD or DM as camera in the preferences. But it shows up as leaf aptus ii 6 in the capture panel. I have tried locating the live view in the LC and C1 and it appears it's disabled.  The C1 camera button and the menu Window->Live view is disabled as well. Isn't this back supposed to support it? Will keep trying. And they actually included a online manual for the dirver install. It appears my guess is correct. Their version of the drivers claim to support the 800 speed, while the ms version only does 400. This little utility that it comes with can switch between the two drivers on the fly. So back to their drivers...

The back does support Live View but not on the AFD platform and in the current C1 version. You can use in in Leaf Capture and on the RZ or a view camera.

Yair

Steve Hendrix

• http://www.captureintegration.com/
Tethering Fun
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2010, 01:18:42 pm »

Ok  so I got it tethering to C1 with Yair's assistance. My choices are AFD or DM as camera in the preferences. But it shows up as leaf aptus ii 6 in the capture panel. I have tried locating the live view in the LC and C1 and it appears it's disabled.  The C1 camera button and the menu Window->Live view is disabled as well. Isn't this back supposed to support it? Will keep trying. And they actually included a online manual for the dirver install. It appears my guess is correct. Their version of the drivers claim to support the 800 speed, while the ms version only does 400. This little utility that it comes with can switch between the two drivers on the fly. So back to their drivers...

I don't believe Live View is supported for the DL28 without the USB dongle (can't recall if you mentioned whether you had that or not). For Capture One, a moot point at the moment as Live View for Leaf/Mamiya backs is not yet implemented. Also triggering the release from the keyboard is only supported for the latest Aptus II (and DM?) series.

Steve Hendrix
« Last Edit: June 05, 2010, 01:19:30 pm by Steve Hendrix »
Steve Hendrix • 404-543-8475 www.captureintegration.com (e-mail Me)
Phase One | Leaf | Leica | Alpa | Cambo | Sinar | Arca Swiss

Doug Peterson

• http://www.doug-peterson.com
Tethering Fun
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2010, 01:29:42 pm »

[redacted]
« Last Edit: June 05, 2010, 01:30:01 pm by dougpetersonci »

gotspeed

Tethering Fun
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2010, 03:01:38 pm »

Good and bad.. Still missing the adapter but I hope to use the RZ with it.  

The back does support Live View but not on the AFD platform and in the current C1 version. You can use in in Leaf Capture and on the RZ or a view camera.

Yair

gotspeed

Tethering Fun
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2010, 03:03:49 pm »

I don't have the usb dongle. I thought it being aptus ii it doesn't need it. Curious that no software has DL28 as option. only afd and DM. I think both  work with DM as the option. And C1 can fire the camera from the software.
Quote from: Steve Hendrix
I don't believe Live View is supported for the DL28 without the USB dongle (can't recall if you mentioned whether you had that or not). For Capture One, a moot point at the moment as Live View for Leaf/Mamiya backs is not yet implemented. Also triggering the release from the keyboard is only supported for the latest Aptus II (and DM?) series.

Steve Hendrix
« Last Edit: June 05, 2010, 03:04:49 pm by gotspeed »

yaya

Tethering Fun
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2010, 03:19:30 pm »

I don't have the usb dongle. I thought it being aptus ii it doesn't need it. Curious that no software has DL28 as option. only afd and DM. I think both  work with DM as the option. And C1 can fire the camera from the software.

If your camera is and AFDIII then you need to choose either Mamiya AFDIII or Phase One 645AF

Yair

gotspeed

Tethering Fun
« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2010, 03:53:20 pm »

I think I have a bigger issue. i haven't seen any discussions about lines across sensors lately.. It appears I have a line 1/8 of the way up from the bottom across the whole frame. One or two pixles wide. I didn't notice it before. I haven't seen this before shooting to the CF card. Just went back and checked to make sure I am not crazy. And no there's no such line. I didn't shoot much into C1, but I don't see a line there either. I wonder if this has to do with my camera selection in LC?  Since DL28 is not there, and if the line fix is software fix, maybe it's not getting done...

Just double checked no issues with CF or C1. Only in LC tethered mode is the line there (win beta)  The camera selection available is AFD (no III) or dm, and no phaseone 645af available. The back seems to default to aptus ii 6 even if I tried to set it to something else.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2010, 04:18:21 pm by gotspeed »

Steve Hendrix

Tethering Fun
« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2010, 09:12:45 pm »

If it is a DM28, then that is essentially an Aptus II (doesn't require dongle). If it is a DL28, then it is essentially an Aptus S (does require dongle).

Steve Hendrix

gotspeed

Tethering Fun
« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2010, 12:02:39 pm »

it says aptus-ii right on the back of it, and all info i see says it's a II, including the LC  software.

Now if Yair  tells me how to get rid of the lines I  would be pretty happy with looks of the LC files.

Quote from: Steve Hendrix
If it is a DM28, then that is essentially an Aptus II (doesn't require dongle). If it is a DL28, then it is essentially an Aptus S (does require dongle).

Steve Hendrix
« Last Edit: June 06, 2010, 12:03:53 pm by gotspeed »

Steve Hendrix

Tethering Fun
« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2010, 04:46:35 pm »

it says aptus-ii right on the back of it, and all info i see says it's a II, including the LC  software.

Now if Yair  tells me how to get rid of the lines I  would be pretty happy with looks of the LC files.

Sorry - your initial post indicated you bought an RZ Pro II/AFDIII and a DL/28. If it says Aptus II on the back of the digital back, then that's what you have. In that case, as far as I know, Live Video shoot work right now in Leaf Capture (and eventually in Capture One).

Steve Hendrix
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up