Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How to set up an Epson 3800 for ethernet printing  (Read 6328 times)

jljonathan

How to set up an Epson 3800 for ethernet printing
« on: June 03, 2010, 07:01:23 pm »

What are the steps I need to take to print with an Epson 3800 from a Mac Pro using ethernet and not the USB.
Jonathan

BobFisher

« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2010, 08:50:15 pm »

Not trying to be flippant, but Chapter 1 of the Printer Guide discusses setting the printer up on a network.  

http://files.support.epson.com/pdf/pro38_/pro38_gd.pdf  

If you use the EpsonNet utility (presuming it works on the Mac) you can use that to set the network feed up.

http://files.support.epson.com/htmldocs/pr..._ng/i_index.htm

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2010, 03:03:34 am »

Quote from: jljonathan
What are the steps I need to take to print with an Epson 3800 from a Mac Pro using ethernet and not the USB.
Jonathan
Connect it, switch it on, go to System Preferences:Print & Fax, click the + button, click the Default icon, wait a few moments, select your printer when it appears and click Add. You'll find the Bonjour connection appears first, and the EPSON TCPIP connection a little later. I used the second. I have the 6.57 driver installed under Snow Leopard.

In my experience, that was there is to it. It took me a couple of minutes.

Jeremy

francois

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2010, 03:37:45 am »

I've found that sometimes, with Bonjour, it can take a while before printing actually starts. Follow Jeremy's step-by-step and you should be fine.

I'm printing from both Leopard and Snow Leopard without any problems.
Francois

jljonathan

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2010, 12:18:37 pm »

Quote from: kikashi
Connect it, switch it on, go to System Preferences:Print & Fax, click the + button, click the Default icon, wait a few moments, select your printer when it appears and click Add. You'll find the Bonjour connection appears first, and the EPSON TCPIP connection a little later. I used the second. I have the 6.57 driver installed under Snow Leopard.

In my experience, that was there is to it. It took me a couple of minutes.

Jeremy
Jeremy
I'm still a little confused about the setup.  I read the manual and the instructions for setting it up for a network got me more confused. Are you suggesting not to use the epson net utility? Just plug in a cable (not sure what kind) and then just set the prefs. That's it?
Jonathan

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2010, 03:36:03 am »

Quote from: jljonathan
Jeremy
I'm still a little confused about the setup.  I read the manual and the instructions for setting it up for a network got me more confused. Are you suggesting not to use the epson net utility? Just plug in a cable (not sure what kind) and then just set the prefs. That's it?
Jonathan
Yes. I've not used the net utility. There wasn't any need: I just used the OS. I used an ordinary ethernet cable. It's now connected through a hub (and so on a network) but I initially used it simply to connect a port on the Mac to the port on the Epson.

Sometimes "RTFM" leads to confusion. As someone said to Jenner when he was musing on vaccination, "Don't think: try the experiment".

Jeremy
« Last Edit: June 05, 2010, 03:37:58 am by kikashi »
Pages: [1]   Go Up