Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Baringo Dawn  (Read 3959 times)

Ed Blagden

Baringo Dawn
« on: June 03, 2010, 02:59:39 pm »

I am not sure about this shot.  I am personally very fond of it, but then again Lake Baringo is one of my favourite places and so it may just be a me thing.  To self-critique, the shot breaks some rules; a completely empty sky; very symmetrical; no obvious point of interest.  But I still like it.

I would be interested in the opinions of others.

Ed

ps:  I did virtually nothing to this shot in LR beyond the usual tweaks to black point, curves and sharpening... Baringo at dawn really does look like this.

[attachment=22364:Baringo_...010_2746.jpg]

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
Baringo Dawn
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2010, 03:17:02 pm »

I like it too. Perhaps not perfect, but there is a certain beauty in its simplicity and serenity of  the moment.

PeterAit

• Peter Aitken Photographs
Baringo Dawn
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2010, 04:41:51 pm »

Quote from: Ed Blagden
I am not sure about this shot.  I am personally very fond of it, but then again Lake Baringo is one of my favourite places and so it may just be a me thing.  To self-critique, the shot breaks some rules; a completely empty sky; very symmetrical; no obvious point of interest.  But I still like it.

I would be interested in the opinions of others.

Ed

ps:  I did virtually nothing to this shot in LR beyond the usual tweaks to black point, curves and sharpening... Baringo at dawn really does look like this.

[attachment=22364:Baringo_...010_2746.jpg]

I really like this photo. Your sky is hardly empty - it contains hundreds of shades of blue and many also of orange and yellow - plus the "empty" sky does a great job of communicating a sense of space and distance. The symmetry goes well with the peace and calmness of the scene, and a "point of interest" would be superfluous. Bravo!

Also, it might well be a "me thing" but isn't that where great photography comes from, an individual photographer doing what he likes?

fredjeang

Baringo Dawn
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2010, 06:56:23 pm »

I like this image and join Slodoban and Peter comments.

It brings peace of mind and contemplation.

Cheers.

John R

Baringo Dawn
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2010, 08:37:08 pm »

Lets not forget that colour is also a psychological aesthetic and factor in of itself, in our daily lives as it evokes many associations. When an image seems to work for you, forget the rules and try to figure out why it appeals to you. Of course, that's why you posted this image. In one of his books, the Canadian photographer, Freeman Patterson, often remarked that it was many years after that he would discover why certain images appealed to him, as they had stayed in his brain in the subconscious. Something to think about. Now I too cannot put my finger on exactly why I like the image, but the striking colours of dawn and the bare trees are very evocative of what Slobodan has articulated.

JMR

francois

Baringo Dawn
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2010, 03:34:48 am »

I like this photo a lot. The contrast between the smooth tonalities of the sky and the vegetation/dead trees is very pleasing.
Francois

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
Baringo Dawn
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2010, 09:51:52 am »

I think it's a good shot, for the reasons others have already indicated. I suppose I might feel tempted to return when there were some more clouds in the distance but that would be a different image.

Jeremy

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
Baringo Dawn
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2010, 10:15:33 am »

It's very beautiful as is. The 'emptiness' creates a powerful sense of serenity. 

Eric

-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

Ed Blagden

Baringo Dawn
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2010, 02:07:16 pm »

Thank you all for your comments - good to hear these from photographers I respect.

The idea behind the photograph was peace and serenity - it is hard to come up with any other idea in such a place.  I was concerned that it broke too many rules, but it worked for me and I'm relieved to know that it works for others too.

I smiled at Jeremy's comment that he would have preferred a few clouds.  When I went out to make the shot it was still pitch dark and I had no idea what was up there.  As the sky began to lighten I saw it was completely clear and I thought to myself "damn, blast and bother, no clouds".  But I made the shot anyway.  As it happens, a few minutes later the sky began to wisp up, and I attach the resulting shot below.  But I actually prefer the first photo (others may differ).  I suppose the lesson is to shoot what is there, not what you want to be there, and make the best of it.

Also, the comments about serenity made me smile.  Serenity was certainly my intention, but what you don't know is that there was a rather large crocodile in the water just a few feet in front of me.  My 12 year old son was with me, as photographers assistant, armed with some large stones to throw at the beast in case it decided to come out of the water for some breakfast.  Neither of us was feeling particularly serene at the time!

Ed

[attachment=22403:Baringo_...010_2753.jpg]

Paul Sumi

Baringo Dawn
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2010, 05:42:07 pm »

I like both frames, although I must confess to the urge to crop some sky out of the first image.

The second image is the more conventional composition and initially more pleasing to the eye.  But the first one really conveys the feeling of a sparse, open and lonely area.

Paul

Eric Myrvaagnes

Baringo Dawn
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2010, 11:22:55 pm »

I'll still take the first one, with all its empty sky.

Eric

-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
Baringo Dawn
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2010, 03:31:13 am »

Quote from: Eric Myrvaagnes

Eric
So would I. My suggestion was really for a few clouds over the far shoreline, a mixture of the two shots.

Ed, you really must work harder on your weather-controlling skills.

Jeremy

francois

Baringo Dawn
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2010, 04:39:01 am »

Quote from: Eric Myrvaagnes

Eric
Me too!
Francois

Ed Blagden

Baringo Dawn
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2010, 10:18:15 am »

Quote from: kikashi
Ed, you really must work harder on your weather-controlling skills.

Jeremy

NeilOwen

• http://
Baringo Dawn
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2010, 10:32:53 am »

First one for me as well - you've all mentioned the tranquillity it portrays and the placement of the two tree remains add nice 'stop' to each side of the frame. The sky, I feel, needs the height to give that really super gradation of colour you have here.

The second version I find just a little on the 'busy' side and I find myself darting round the image but not really resting on anything in particular. I wonder whether the more textured sky with the additional clouds etc. go some way to promoting this feeling? Kind regards, neil.
Pages: [1]   Go Up