Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 3880 native resolution  (Read 5737 times)

mblumer

3880 native resolution
« on: June 03, 2010, 02:59:10 pm »

Can anyone please tell me the native resolution of the Stylus Pro 3880 or, in the alternative, where I can locate such information from Epson?

Thank you for your help,

Mark

Randy Carone

3880 native resolution
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2010, 03:25:08 pm »

It is 360ppi with "Finest Detail" unchecked and 720ppi with "Finest Detail" checked.
Randy Carone

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
3880 native resolution
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2010, 02:19:59 am »

Quote from: Randy Carone
It is 360ppi with "Finest Detail" unchecked and 720ppi with "Finest Detail" checked.
Might add that finest detail is designed for vector graphics and not recommended for photographs.

Bart_van_der_Wolf

3880 native resolution
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2010, 03:40:56 am »

Quote from: Wayne Fox
Might add that finest detail is designed for vector graphics and not recommended for photographs.

Hi Wayne,

I wonder if that's really the case. Has anyone tried it for continuous tone images? I know that the finest detail setting is often mentioned in combination with vector graphics (which will obviously benefit), but how does that make it less suitable for contones?

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

Farmer

3880 native resolution
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2010, 04:17:47 am »

Quote from: BartvanderWolf
Hi Wayne,

I wonder if that's really the case. Has anyone tried it for continuous tone images? I know that the finest detail setting is often mentioned in combination with vector graphics (which will obviously benefit), but how does that make it less suitable for contones?

Cheers,
Bart

The algorithms for "finest detail" are optimised for vectors and for sharp edges and such.  You'll likely see no issue using it for contones, but you won't see any benefit and the image will take more time to process because it will be so much larger.

You might actually see inferior results for some photographic images where soft areas are hardened or sharpened, though I haven't tested this specifically.
Phil Brown

Bart_van_der_Wolf

3880 native resolution
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2010, 04:46:07 am »

Quote from: Farmer
The algorithms for "finest detail" are optimised for vectors and for sharp edges and such.  You'll likely see no issue using it for contones, but you won't see any benefit and the image will take more time to process because it will be so much larger.

You might actually see inferior results for some photographic images where soft areas are hardened or sharpened, though I haven't tested this specifically.

I don't think there is any sharpening involved, just the ability to maintain native sharpness by using finer detail when rendering the lines/edges. Sharpening vector graphics will cause jaggies to become visible.

Here is an explanation that makes sense, although there is still a benfit to printing at 720 PPI even when the image dimensions in pixels don't exceed 360 PPI at the intended output size. When using a good output resampling program, like several offered by Qimage, there is higher detail at interpolated edges/lines than the original data suggests. The interpolation algorithms can invent useful detail, which can subsequently be exploited at a higher PPI output setting, and one can sharpen at that higher resolution.

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==
Pages: [1]   Go Up