Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Laptop requirements for tethering  (Read 1340 times)

Greg Whitaker

• http://www.gregwhitaker.com
Laptop requirements for tethering
« on: June 03, 2010, 11:29:23 am »

Hi All,
I am currently updating/upgrading my Dell M65- which about 2 years ago was pretty fast for a PC laptop, now just average.
I am thinking about putting an SSD in there to speed up performance, thinking that when it's time to get a new machine I could take out this ssd and use it in the new one. I am already maxed out on memory (4GB)
running Windows 7 32 bit.

My primary question is this:
What speeds up performance while tethered the most? Is it memory, hard drive speed, processor speed or what?

I'd not be doing much intensive photoshop work with this, just using it to tether to my Canons (1ds 3 and 5d2) while shooting on location on those occasions where a digital tech is not in the budget. My
interest is having the fastest configuration I can get to get the previews to pop up the fastest and get the images transferring, showing the fastest while I'm shooting.
Thinking of using DSLR Pro for my tethering software.

Any thoughts?

John S C

Laptop requirements for tethering
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2010, 04:23:48 am »

Greg

I've used a couple of laptops when shooting tethered, It seems to me that the slowest part of the process is the actual transfer itself. In my case with Canon  equipment it's the USB interface. So even with a fast computer the bottleneck will be the USB .

John C

Pages: [1]   Go Up