Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Altering Original Copyright  (Read 1226 times)

Mike Sellers

• Mike Sellers Photography
Altering Original Copyright
« on: June 03, 2010, 10:17:06 am »

If you apply a painterly effect to one of your own copyrighted images do you need to register the new altered file separately?
Mike

Monito

• MonitoPhoto
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2010, 11:11:02 am »

Quote from: Mike Sellers
If you apply a painterly effect to one of your own copyrighted images do you need to register the new altered file separately?

I do no think so, since everything is derivative of the registered image.

JamiePeters

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2010, 02:32:14 pm »

Yes you should since it is a edited version.  Any piece of art or movie anything being reedited should by definition be copyrighted.  But don't go out of the way.  But if you want the image to be protected by the U.S. Copyright and fed protected.  You should do it.  But only images that have intrinsic value really need to be copyrighted.  If there is some value for images or usage in the future or present than Yes you should.  I taught the Smithsonian a very valuable lesson.  Hope this helps Jamie

Mike Sellers

• Mike Sellers Photography
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2010, 02:35:03 pm »

Quote from: JamiePeters
Yes you should since it is a edited version.  Any piece of art or movie anything being reedited should by definition be copyrighted.  But don't go out of the way.  But if you want the image to be protected by the U.S. Copyright and fed protected.  You should do it.  But only images that have intrinsic value really need to be copyrighted.  If there is some value for images or usage in the future or present than Yes you should.  I taught the Smithsonian a very valuable lesson.  Hope this helps Jamie
Thanks Jamie-I will play it safe and register them.
Mike
Pages: [1]   Go Up