Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 3880 vs 2880  (Read 6140 times)

Robert Boire

• www.robertboire.ca
3880 vs 2880
« on: June 03, 2010, 07:47:07 am »

Hi,

I'm planning to purchase a new printer and am trying to decide between either the Epson 2880 or 3880. I have a few question that somebody out there may have answer too.

My main criteria are support for a large variety of paper sizes and types, the availability of paper profiles, accurate color rendition and reliability.

1) One significant difference that I can tell is that the 2880 supports roll paper and the 3880 does not. However I have heard, but cannot verify, that the 3880 is not limited to specific paper sizes and can use customized sizes - which may eliminate the 2880 advantage in that respect.

2) I know that dollar for dollar that the prices for the 2880 and 3880 are approximately equivalent when you take into account the much larger ink cartridges that come with the 3880 box.  However one thing that worries me is volume.  I do not anticipate to do a lot of printing and am concerned that the ink in the larger cartridges will dry out or somehow degrade over time.

Does anybody have any feedback?

Thanks

Alan Goldhammer

• A Goldhammer Photography
3880 vs 2880
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2010, 08:58:12 am »

Quote from: RobertBoire
Hi,

I'm planning to purchase a new printer and am trying to decide between either the Epson 2880 or 3880. I have a few question that somebody out there may have answer too.

My main criteria are support for a large variety of paper sizes and types, the availability of paper profiles, accurate color rendition and reliability.

1) One significant difference that I can tell is that the 2880 supports roll paper and the 3880 does not. However I have heard, but cannot verify, that the 3880 is not limited to specific paper sizes and can use customized sizes - which may eliminate the 2880 advantage in that respect.

2) I know that dollar for dollar that the prices for the 2880 and 3880 are approximately equivalent when you take into account the much larger ink cartridges that come with the 3880 box.  However one thing that worries me is volume.  I do not anticipate to do a lot of printing and am concerned that the ink in the larger cartridges will dry out or somehow degrade over time.

Does anybody have any feedback?

Thanks
I have had both printers, starting on the 2880 and replacing it with a 3880 earlier this year.  True the 2880 can use roll paper but only 13 inch wide.  I'm not sure that there are enough choices out there for this to be important.  To my knowledge, ink degradation is a non issue and your savings with the 3880 in terms of ink usage are significant.  Don't underestimate your printing volume as you will quickly be buying new cartridges for the 2880.  the other big plus is the paper feed mechanism of the 3880 is far superior (many fewer misfeeds).  Regarding paper sizes, either printer can use a variety of custom paper sizes up to the width of the printer so that is a non issue (you just have to define the paper size in the print driver).

My recommendation is to go for the 3880 if cost is not an issue.

Alan

Jack Flesher

• www.getdpi.com
3880 vs 2880
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2010, 11:19:38 am »

The roll paper advantage is not all that great unless you literally print dozens of images at one time -- and here, the 2880 ink cartridges are not large enough to hold up to that kind of use anyway.  Paper costs between rolls and sheets in the 19" and under widths are not that much different either, and finally you don't have to deal with print curl on sheet stock. Plus, I'm not sure the 2880 even has a cutter built in, and if not, then that's a pretty significant argument against using roll stock on it anyway.   I would choose the 3880 for its larger print size, bigger (more economical) ink costs, multiple media paths and options and beefier overall construction.  Then when/if you need to print up dozens of say 4x6's, I'd gang them 2-up on a sheet of letter and load up the main tray and send it off.  

my .02,
Jack
[url=http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/

DarkPenguin

3880 vs 2880
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2010, 11:48:51 am »

As an aside the 2880 is down to $520 (depending on where you get if from) after rebate.

So that $800 price difference pays for a lot of ink.  Now if you're going to go through that ink in a hurry get the 3880.  If you're going to want any 17" prints get the 3880...

Robert Boire

• www.robertboire.ca
3880 vs 2880
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2010, 10:24:40 am »

Quote from: Jack Flesher
The roll paper advantage is not all that great unless you literally print dozens of images at one time

Actually I was thinking about roll paper more in terms of panoramic prints rather than multiple copies of images

Thanks for the input

DarkPenguin

3880 vs 2880
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2010, 01:10:30 pm »

BTW, I ended up ordering a 2880.  (My patience with my B9180 wore down before my 3880 fund built up.)  Should be here on Tuesday provided UPS doesn't hand it to the neighbor who is gone most of the month, the neighbor I haven't spoken to in the 12 years I've lived here, the criminal who they handed my B9180 to (and who's brother was shocked when I actually got the printer back) or the neighbor who's kids I (occasionally) try to run over.  (Don't walk past my driveway in the morning.  Seriously.  I don't get my coffee until I hit he Holiday station some miles away.)  If I should get the printer back after that I'll report whether or not it has a cutting blade.

Alan Goldhammer

• A Goldhammer Photography
3880 vs 2880
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2010, 04:29:05 pm »

Quote from: DarkPenguin
BTW, I ended up ordering a 2880.  (My patience with my B9180 wore down before my 3880 fund built up.)  Should be here on Tuesday provided UPS doesn't hand it to the neighbor who is gone most of the month, the neighbor I haven't spoken to in the 12 years I've lived here, the criminal who they handed my B9180 to (and who's brother was shocked when I actually got the printer back) or the neighbor who's kids I (occasionally) try to run over.  (Don't walk past my driveway in the morning.  Seriously.  I don't get my coffee until I hit he Holiday station some miles away.)  If I should get the printer back after that I'll report whether or not it has a cutting blade.
While you may need to worry about your neighbor, I can answer the question, it does not have a cutting blade.

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
3880 vs 2880
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2010, 08:23:20 pm »

Quote from: Alan Goldhammer
While you may need to worry about your neighbor, I can answer the question, it does not have a cutting blade.
But your neighbor may have one, so watch out!
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

Robert Boire

• www.robertboire.ca
3880 vs 2880
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2010, 03:03:36 pm »

Quote from: DarkPenguin
BTW, I ended up ordering a 2880.

Out of curiosity did you get the printer and are you happy with the results?
« Last Edit: June 12, 2010, 03:05:11 pm by RobertBoire »

DarkPenguin

3880 vs 2880
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2010, 03:31:01 pm »

Quote from: RobertBoire
Out of curiosity did you get the printer and are you happy with the results?

I did.  So far so good.  I'm not printing on the same paper but I have to say it is better than my B9180.  After some initial missteps it is handling paper the B9180 choked on.

Not enthused about the switching of cartridges but I'm not sure I care as pretty much all of the paper I like to use is considered glossy for the purposes of the black ink.

John R Smith

• Still crazy, after all these years
3880 vs 2880
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2010, 03:56:30 pm »

Penguin

As you have the 2880 -

Watch out as there have been issues reported with driver updates from Epson supplied as downloads. Drivers on the disk supplied with the printer are OK. I am not sure whether this has been resolved yet.

John
Hasselblad 500 C/M, SWC and CFV-39 DB
an

DarkPenguin

3880 vs 2880
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2010, 05:20:42 pm »

Quote from: John R Smith
Penguin

As you have the 2880 -

Watch out as there have been issues reported with driver updates from Epson supplied as downloads. Drivers on the disk supplied with the printer are OK. I am not sure whether this has been resolved yet.

John

The ones on disk claim to be current.  Thanks for the heads up.

madmanchan

• Web
3880 vs 2880
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2010, 05:46:24 pm »

The 3800 & 3880 printers are very reliable even if used infrequently. I have gone for several weeks (occasionally months) with my 3800 left off. When the time came to make another print, I plugged it in, turned it back on, and off it went about its business as usual. If it has been a VERY long time between prints, I'll occasionally take each cart out and give it a jostle and reinsert it. My suggestion is not to let your expected volume of print production influence this decision.
Eric Chan
Pages: [1]   Go Up