Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Flickr, PBase, SmugMug?  (Read 6690 times)

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
Flickr, PBase, SmugMug?
« on: June 03, 2010, 01:04:01 am »

Hi,

A simple question. I want to share my pictures over the web. What I need is the following

- Good presentation of images
- Be able to either share full size images or refer to images on other sites
- Good handling of geoencoded information
- My primary intention is not to sell images, but any income generated would be a plus.
- I have no issue with paying a reasonable price for the service

What's your take on the issue? Most thankful for any suggestions.

Best regards
Erik
Erik Kaffehr

Paul Sumi

Flickr, PBase, SmugMug?
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2010, 04:59:06 pm »

I think that SmugMug is the only one of the 3 which supports on-line commerce (selling and fulfillment).  However, this is at the Pro (most expensive) level.

Paul
« Last Edit: June 04, 2010, 05:00:55 pm by Paul Sumi »

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
Flickr, PBase, SmugMug?
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2010, 05:03:13 pm »

Hi,

Thanks for input. I have the same impression.

Best regards
Erik

Quote from: Paul Sumi
I think that SmugMug is the only one of the 3 which supports on-line commerce (selling and fulfillment).  However, this is at the Pro (most expensive) level.

Paul
Erik Kaffehr

feppe

• Oh this shows up in here!
    • Harri Jahkola Photography
Flickr, PBase, SmugMug?
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2010, 06:02:43 pm »

ExposureManager was for the longest time the only one of the big players supporting self-fulfilment, as well as "pro" level printing service.

DarkPenguin

Flickr, PBase, SmugMug?
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2010, 09:49:52 pm »

I think Pbase runs on ENIAC.  Flickr is pretty casual but a lot of people use it.  Never used smugmug.  What about Zenfolio?

Philmar

• Office drone by day - Photoenthusiast on weekends
    • https://www.flickr.com/photos/phil_marion/albums
Flickr, PBase, SmugMug?
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2010, 04:10:19 pm »

I had wanted to get a Zenfolio or Smugmug site for quite a while now. I had outgrown my Flickr site. I didn't like the small size with which it displayed my photos or the order they were presented. Nor did I like the fact one had to continuously click from page to page with only 8 shots per page.

This all changed when I discovered that people can view my Flickr account through 3rd party sites like Fluidr and Flickriver that display the shots on a black background and allow for one click enlarged version. They also allow for endless scrolling - less mouse activations. The viewer experience is so so much better.

http://www.fluidr.com/photos/phil_marion/sets
http://www.flickriver.com/photos/phil_marion/sets/

Flickr is cheap. $24 /year. For THAT reason I prefer it. As a hobbyist it isn't essential for me to have a site from which I can sell prints. Flickr is cheap and I fully understand why some people need more. But its inferior display has been mitigated by 3rd part sites.

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
Flickr, PBase, SmugMug?
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2010, 11:02:47 pm »

Hi,

Thanks a lot! The major issue I have with Flickr is that it's ugly in my view and appreciate your suggestion to use third party sites

Best regards
Erik

Quote from: Philmar
I had wanted to get a Zenfolio or Smugmug site for quite a while now. I had outgrown my Flickr site. I didn't like the small size with which it displayed my photos or the order they were presented. Nor did I like the fact one had to continuously click from page to page with only 8 shots per page.

This all changed when I discovered that people can view my Flickr account through 3rd party sites like Fluidr and Flickriver that display the shots on a black background and allow for one click enlarged version. They also allow for endless scrolling - less mouse activations. The viewer experience is so so much better.

http://www.fluidr.com/photos/phil_marion/sets
http://www.flickriver.com/photos/phil_marion/sets/

Flickr is cheap. $24 /year. For THAT reason I prefer it. As a hobbyist it isn't essential for me to have a site from which I can sell prints. Flickr is cheap and I fully understand why some people need more. But its inferior display has been mitigated by 3rd part sites.
Erik Kaffehr

jjj

• http://www.futtfuttfuttphotography.com
Flickr, PBase, SmugMug?
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2010, 10:22:16 am »

Quote from: Philmar
This is a great shot Phil.
Not often you see this, I'd imagine.

Tradition is the Backbone of the Spinele

Luis Argerich

• Astrolandscaper
    • http://www.luisargerich.com/
Flickr, PBase, SmugMug?
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2010, 10:28:31 am »

I recommend Zenfolio, it has all the features you want and many more.
The backend is simple, effective and easy to use.
About the presentation it has several templates.

If you decide for Zenfolio and want to save $5 you can use my referal code: D7S-T1V-EAU

My site is on zenfolio, in the full version there is no logo, it's fully customizable and you can point your own domain to it.

DarkPenguin

Flickr, PBase, SmugMug?
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2010, 11:49:33 pm »

Quote from: ErikKaffehr
Hi,

Thanks a lot! The major issue I have with Flickr is that it's ugly in my view and appreciate your suggestion to use third party sites

Best regards
Erik

Flickr is rolling out a new look.  FYI

peirceman

Flickr, PBase, SmugMug?
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2010, 05:18:22 am »

I second Zenfolio.

If you are only looking for a hosting site, Zenfolio offers 1 GB of storage for $25.00 / year.  They increase your storage by 1GB for every year you subscribe, so on year 2 you get 2 GB, on year 3 you get 3 GB etc.

They have a mid level plan at $40 / year.  Be sure you read everything if you plan on using this plan.  They offer unlimited storage on this plan.  The confusing thing on the mid-level plan is that they offer the ability to sell your photos through a third party provider, but only at cost.  It's a little confusing and I don't understand why they do this.  It is a blemish on an otherwise great service.

The pro plan is $100.  Unlimited storage, ability to sell at a profit through MPIx or self fulfillment if you are masochistic.  Lots of premade site templates or you can make your own.  Embeddable flideshows.  For less than $10/month, you really can't beat the service.

wirehunt

• Let's go shoot!
    • Lightchasers NZ
Flickr, PBase, SmugMug?
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2010, 09:10:46 pm »

For hosting only, and looking good in general then Picasa, two gig free.   They have printing options as well, I think we'll see a lot of advances there soon.  But already it's much more user friendly than flickr in my opinion.

You can embed slideshows on your blog or website as well with Picasa, in fact it's fairly feature rich.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2010, 09:11:56 pm by wirehunt »
Chasing the light, what more could you want?

Another BLOG

AlastairMoore

• http://serialphotography.com
Flickr, PBase, SmugMug?
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2010, 09:03:47 pm »

I've subscribed to the Zenfolio 14 day trial and I may or may not stick with it. I've actually built my own site which I was planning to set up with some kind of ecommerce setup but haven't got that far. I thought Zenfolio might be a suitable alternative but their printers don't send to New Zealand and I'm planning on marketing myself more down here than elsewhere. So I'll probably stick with my own site but Zenfolio looks pretty impressive and quite flexible although you could spend a fair bit of time setting up your site.
Pages: [1]   Go Up