Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Wanting a Leaf Aptus 75 back. How reliable are they?  (Read 3259 times)

rogerxnz

• Hayman Lawyers
Wanting a Leaf Aptus 75 back. How reliable are they?
« on: June 02, 2010, 04:17:44 pm »

I was told by a pro that the Aptus 22 backs were the most reliable which implied that some of the other Aptus backs are not. I have an Aptus 22 back and I would like to buy an Aptus 75 for Hasselblad series V (universal model). Am I likely to experience any performance issues or will they behave similarly?

Is there any difference in performance or reliability between the A75 and the A75s?
Roger
PS if you have an Aptus 75 for Hasselblad series V (universal model) for sale, please PM me. Likewise if you want to buy an A22 with 4750 uses.
Roger Hayman
Wellington, New Zealand

Steve Hendrix

• http://www.captureintegration.com/
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2010, 06:11:52 pm »

Quote from: rogerxnz
I was told by a pro that the Aptus 22 backs were the most reliable which implied that some of the other Aptus backs are not. I have an Aptus 22 back and I would like to buy an Aptus 75 for Hasselblad series V (universal model). Am I likely to experience any performance issues or will they behave similarly?

Is there any difference in performance or reliability between the A75 and the A75s?
Roger
PS if you have an Aptus 75 for Hasselblad series V (universal model) for sale, please PM me. Likewise if you want to buy an A22 with 4750 uses.

In my experience I haven't seen a noticeable difference in issues between Aptus units. The most common ailment I encounter is the firewire board needing replacement, either from rough use, inadequate soldering, or plugging in the firewire cable backwards. The firewire cable being plugged in backwards was more of a firewire 400 issue (original Aptus) as it's easier to make contact and fry the board with the 400 cable than the 800 (Aptus S and higher). Rather than fry the board with the 800 cable, I've seen the port actually pushed in and then pulled out when it is backwards as the user is trying to insert it. So, two different problems. The good thing is that because of the cool way the Aptus is designed, the firewire board can be replaced outside of the factory.

As far as performance, the S series will shoot faster. That is the only additional feature. I believe you may actually get a (slightly) cleaner file with the original Aptus, but it has been some time since I've compared side by side and not with the latest software, so YMMV. Perhaps I can do a test this week and see if that is still the case.

Steve Hendrix
Steve Hendrix • 404-543-8475 www.captureintegration.com (e-mail Me)
Phase One | Leaf | Leica | Alpa | Cambo | Sinar | Arca Swiss

Frank Doorhof

• http://
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2010, 01:08:43 am »

Quote from: Steve Hendrix
In my experience I haven't seen a noticeable difference in issues between Aptus units. The most common ailment I encounter is the firewire board needing replacement, either from rough use, inadequate soldering, or plugging in the firewire cable backwards. The firewire cable being plugged in backwards was more of a firewire 400 issue (original Aptus) as it's easier to make contact and fry the board with the 400 cable than the 800 (Aptus S and higher). Rather than fry the board with the 800 cable, I've seen the port actually pushed in and then pulled out when it is backwards as the user is trying to insert it. So, two different problems. The good thing is that because of the cool way the Aptus is designed, the firewire board can be replaced outside of the factory.

As far as performance, the S series will shoot faster. That is the only additional feature. I believe you may actually get a (slightly) cleaner file with the original Aptus, but it has been some time since I've compared side by side and not with the latest software, so YMMV. Perhaps I can do a test this week and see if that is still the case.

Steve Hendrix

THE aptus 22 is indeed s great back.
I recently upgraded to the aptusII7.
I feel there is no difference in build quality.
What I like is the slightly faster shooting speed, and I feel the look of the aptusII7 is more 3d/real.
For a 33mp back the images are clean and the iso400 outside with proper light is usable.
I don't know for the 75s but I think you can expect something similar.

Steve Hendrix

• http://www.captureintegration.com/
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2010, 10:58:17 am »

Quote from: Frank Doorhof
THE aptus 22 is indeed s great back.
I recently upgraded to the aptusII7.
I feel there is no difference in build quality.
What I like is the slightly faster shooting speed, and I feel the look of the aptusII7 is more 3d/real.
For a 33mp back the images are clean and the iso400 outside with proper light is usable.
I don't know for the 75s but I think you can expect something similar.

The Aptus II series also had a brighter LCD screen than the Aptus S. It helps quite a bit when used outside (which is kind of where you'd need it...)  

Steve Hendrix
Steve Hendrix • 404-543-8475 www.captureintegration.com (e-mail Me)
Phase One | Leaf | Leica | Alpa | Cambo | Sinar | Arca Swiss

Frank Doorhof

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2010, 12:07:32 pm »

In THE studio it's brighter. Outside i still can't judge an image. How much I love the leafs I would die to get the canon display on it.

yaya

• http://yayapro.com
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2010, 01:06:12 pm »

There is no difference whatsoever, reliability wise between all models of Aptus, Aptus S and Aptus II.

The S and the II are faster due to FW800 and more horsepower and as Steve suggested the II has got a better screen (which also works when tethered)

yair
Yair Shahar | Product Manager | Phase One - Cultural Heritage
e: ysh@phaseone.com |

Frank Doorhof

« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2010, 02:57:20 pm »

Forgot to mention that indeed and that's a huge plus. The display preview when tethered is great I always hated that the display stayed black.

Doug Peterson

• http://www.doug-peterson.com
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2010, 03:06:05 pm »

Quote from: rogerxnz
I was told by a pro that the Aptus 22 backs were the most reliable which implied that some of the other Aptus backs are not.

A single individual is a poor source of information for reliability of a particular product (whether a camera, car, or pickup line). They work with at most a few, and often just one, of the product and if they happened to be the 1% that have an issue with a reliable product than they will have a negative view whereas in reality they were just unlucky. A single user also often uses the gear in only one way and in only a few types of situations.

If you want a broad view you'll need to find a rental house, photographic dealer, repair technician, or BIG studio (that employs dozens of photographer in a variety of situations) that you really trust and ask them.

I would agree with the above points of info from Steve (my coworker at Capture Integration and formerly of PPR which was also a Leaf dealer) and YaYa (Leaf corporate) that I see no evidence of difference in reliability between the models you mentioned.

Doug Peterson
Newsletter: Read Latest or Sign Up
RSS Feed: Subscribe
Buy Capture One at 10% off
Personal Work
« Last Edit: June 03, 2010, 05:52:09 pm by dougpetersonci »

Chris Benes

« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2010, 03:36:48 pm »

You can also trade-in your Aptus 22 to either a Phase One P45+($15,990.00) or to a P65+($25,990.00).

Chris Benes
DigitalFusion
Culver City, CA
www.phaseonesc.com
714-330-3166

bcooter

« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2010, 04:18:04 pm »

Quote from: dougpetersonci
A single individual is a poor source of information for reliability of a particular product (whether a camera, car, or pickup line).

True, but you can get the same type of information redirect from anyone.

The pro-fessional photography camera market is small, but it would be kind of cool if we had a carfax and j.d. powers survey for high end cameras.

Then we'd all know a lot more.

BC
« Last Edit: June 03, 2010, 04:42:41 pm by bcooter »
Pages: [1]   Go Up