Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Metering  (Read 1442 times)

stanmrich

Metering
« on: May 18, 2004, 12:42:35 pm »

[font color=\'#000000\']I am suprised to see over a hundred views of your question without any answers.  Here is a link from Luminous Landscape that explores exposure issues.  Exposure

A spot meter, either external or if available through the camera might have been the method used.  By taking several meter readings, one of the sand, and another of a midtone area (representing the 18% grey), it can be determined that the sand was one stop brighter.  

A clear view of the northern sky is close to 18% grey, concrete, grey camera bags, an 18% card in your camera bag, or even the palm if your hand (if fair skined about 1 stop brighter then 18% grey) can be used for your greypoint measurement.[/font]

Tim Gray

• http://www.timgrayphotography.com
Metering
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2004, 01:46:07 pm »

[font color=\'#000000\']Just a guess - take a shot of the sand, filling as much of the screen as possible.  Just as the case with snow or a sunny beach the tendency is to under expose.  You can look at the histogram and see where the data is bunched, then dial in the +1EV to move the histogram one stop to the right, and try again, the histogram should show the desired "expose to the right" pattern.[/font]

Giedo

Metering
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2004, 06:17:10 am »

In the bull fighting article, Michael says: "
"The first thing that I did upon arriving in the stadium was to take a meter reading of the sand. It turned out to be about a stop brighter than 18% gray, so I dialed in +1 stop of exposure."

Is this done with a seperate meter or with the A2? How do you know the sand is 1 stop brighter than 18% grey? Can this be done with the in camera meter of the A2? Does the live histogram play a role here?

Just trying to improve my technique. Thanks for any advice.

Regards,
Giedo

howard smith

Metering
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2004, 01:26:16 pm »

[font color=\'#000000\']You probably don't need a spot meter.  The arena is large enough to fill the view finder.  An incident meter would also be useful.[/font]
Pages: [1]   Go Up