Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hasselblad H4D-50 first impressions  (Read 12829 times)

Erick Boileau

• http://
Re: Hasselblad H4D-50 first impressions
« Reply #20 on: September 26, 2010, 11:21:59 am »

Ok...but instead of the pixel race, wich seems to be the main flag in the mfd brands, why not a light super fast and cheaper 20ish mp gear in the catalog designed for commercial photographers who more and more are living the ship for Canon?

Having the surface of a big sensor with the advantages of speed+really studdied design and live view and why not finally video capabilities when sensors will be available could be very succesful.

There are many who do not want/need 80MP.

About your comparaison, if you are talking about reaching huge enlargements for art gallery, I would not hesitate to put any Hassy or Phase in front of any dslr to date, but if you are talking about a double page magazine in studio and most edito applications I will go for the 5D with the same "no hesitation".

Nobody is proposing anything new we could not predict. Come on MFD guys, be wilder!

but HOW to explain that to Hasselblad ? , that pixels race sucks , we are many waiting for a FF Hasselblad with 30mp maximum and a normal XXI century digital body
they don't care

bcooter

« Reply #21 on: September 26, 2010, 11:47:59 am »

edit
« Last Edit: September 26, 2010, 12:17:11 pm by bcooter »

pcunite

« Reply #22 on: September 27, 2010, 08:32:11 pm »

Still waiting for 8 year old image quality tech to show up in 35mm dSLR's playground :). Ever compare the image possible with a Phase One H25 (2003) to a 5D Mark 2?

Doug,
Acutally I have. Very good test here:
http://www.akelstudio.com/blog/hasselblad-h4d-50-against-canon-1ds-markiii-what-do-we-get-for-the-money/

I see some very good reasons to own Hasselblad, I also see some very compelling reasons to stay with my 1D. MFD is not a free pass to imagine quality gains... well after you write the check (bcooter expression) that is. Anyway we all know it... MFD is better... but who cares? I'm not paying for it and neither are my clients.

David Grover / Capture One

• Capture One
« Reply #23 on: September 28, 2010, 03:06:14 am »

yes, they don't, instead of that they released the silly Ferrari stuff. Totally redneck! Hope Phase will not release tomorrow the BMW serie with the claim "do you like taking pictures?"

Fred,

It is absolutely not silly from a business perspective.

The special edition, doesn't involve too much R&D time (although Ferrari are very specific about 'Red'!), will sell almost immediately the 499 run, and give an increased revenue.  Also these 499 cameras will most likely goto people who probably would not have bought an H4D40 beforehand.

Therefore we have increased sales by 400+ units in an instant.  Therefore more income, more profit, more R&D revenue.

I agree it is not to everyone's taste, but it does no harm overall.

As for 30MP full frame units, there is always a discussion around this.

We buy the sensors that Kodak and Dalsa supply.  We can push them this way and that to some extent.  But essentially we are limited to what they produce.

David

David Grover
Business Support and Development Manager

jduncan

« Reply #24 on: September 28, 2010, 06:12:59 am »

Fred,

It is absolutely not silly from a business perspective.

The special edition, doesn't involve too much R&D time (although Ferrari are very specific about 'Red'!), will sell almost immediately the 499 run, and give an increased revenue.  Also these 499 cameras will most likely goto people who probably would not have bought an H4D40 beforehand.

Therefore we have increased sales by 400+ units in an instant.  Therefore more income, more profit, more R&D revenue.

David

In my opinion, anything that don't destroy the brand and increase volume you be encouraged by users.  We keep asking for features without compromising image quality.  An also good price points. Implementing them is expensive and the sales of MF cameras are not that big (compared to 35mm DSLR).  So kudos to hasselblad for the special edition.
english is not my first language, an I k

pcunite

« Reply #25 on: September 28, 2010, 08:34:38 am »

It is absolutely not silly from a business perspective. The special edition, doesn't involve too much R&D time (although Ferrari are very specific about 'Red'!), will sell almost immediately the 499 run, and give an increased revenue.

That is good to know. What I like about Hasselblad is its all business reputation... not a boutique brand like Leica. Hasselblad is the brand I want to own when I move to MFD (for personal work) and was shocked at first to see them pull a move out of Leica's playbook. I want you guys to be in business when I am ready to buy, I just hope you're the same company when I do.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up