Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Dicomed Bigshot  (Read 5068 times)

photo570

• http://www.shoot.co.nz
Dicomed Bigshot
« on: May 29, 2010, 09:31:25 pm »

Hi all,
        I know someone who has a Dicomed Bigshot 4000, they haven't used it for ages (Years in fact) but apparently it is in perfect working order. Now I know it is old, but I shoot almost daily with a Leaf CantareXY, so I can handle legacy stuff. I also have a Valeo17, and an AptusII5, but the Bigshot has always intrigued me and I remember that it has popped up now and then on the forums, with at-least two people mentioning they used to have one. I am thinking of using it for personal projects, so no huge production pressure, I guess my question is; Will the huge chip size be worth the hassle? Is there a huge hassle, or is it just a case of stepping back in time and working a bit slower,like we used to?

Any replies appreciated,

Cheers
Jason Berge
www.shoot.co.nz

DavidP

• papas.com
Dicomed Bigshot
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2010, 11:14:34 pm »

It might be interesting to work with. 10 years ago I was working with a bigshot 3000 which had the 3 shots with the sinar tri color filter. I believe the 4000 is the single shot version with the bayer filter.
I had tested the  4000 and was not happy with the quality. It is an interesting back as the sensor is so big. You need an ultra scsi cable a legacy jackhammer pci card OS 9 and probably a beige G3 type mac.
I may have a software disc around somewhere. There are a number of other issues as well dead pixels keep appearing and you have to do a software routine with an opal filter to eliminate them. There was still a lot of retouching to do. Also there is no glass cover on the sensor so you have to be very carful with it. If it comes with all the stuff you need and you have an old computer it would be fun to work with, but  think your leaf may have better quality.
I just don't think they really got the single shot with the bayer filter and software optimized well enough.

photo570

• http://www.shoot.co.nz
Dicomed Bigshot
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2010, 04:59:06 am »

If I get it, it will come with everything including the Mac to run it, but I would try to get it to go with a Blue and White G3, or a G4, both of which I have with SCSI cards in them. What aspect of the image quality were you not happy with? I am interested to know what you mean buy "still a lot of retouching to do"? As for the opal filter, you do a similar thing for dead pixels and such with the older Leaf backs, they call it a custom gain file, not out of the ordinary there.

Cheers.

Quote from: DavidP
It might be interesting to work with. 10 years ago I was working with a bigshot 3000 which had the 3 shots with the sinar tri color filter. I believe the 4000 is the single shot version with the bayer filter.
I had tested the  4000 and was not happy with the quality. It is an interesting back as the sensor is so big. You need an ultra scsi cable a legacy jackhammer pci card OS 9 and probably a beige G3 type mac.
I may have a software disc around somewhere. There are a number of other issues as well dead pixels keep appearing and you have to do a software routine with an opal filter to eliminate them. There was still a lot of retouching to do. Also there is no glass cover on the sensor so you have to be very carful with it. If it comes with all the stuff you need and you have an old computer it would be fun to work with, but  think your leaf may have better quality.
I just don't think they really got the single shot with the bayer filter and software optimized well enough.
Jason Berge
www.shoot.co.nz
Pages: [1]   Go Up