Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: trailside  (Read 2343 times)

Justan

• Justan-Elk.com
trailside
« on: May 29, 2010, 06:19:09 pm »

fredjeang

trailside
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2010, 06:41:29 pm »

Hi Justan,

Interesting image.

For my taste, there is too much informations on the rock (left). I find it too distrating from the river axis.
(more exactly, the rock is actually hurting my eyes, whites are kind washed and the nature of the rock, cutting, solid, hard etc...
accentuate this effect.)
Lights on the green are also burned. It is not so much a problem IMO, if just on the leaves.
I would do more post-prod,

With all respect I did a pic (but not a crop) , It is easier for me to transmit my idea in image, as my english is sometimes painfull,
so I made a quick reduced copy-paste: on the left is yours and on the right is the kind of path I would go in post-prod.

Cheers.

[attachment=22263:Greenwat...ariation.jpg]
« Last Edit: May 29, 2010, 06:49:22 pm by fredjeang »

Justan

• Justan-Elk.com
trailside
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2010, 07:05:16 pm »

Hi Fred,

Thanks for taking the time to comment and do a work up. I like your take on areas that could use improvement, but wouldn’t go as far as you did. The highlights on the rock were pretty blown out and your solution would have provided an easier cure than the route I took.

Also your English is fine.

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
trailside
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2010, 08:31:28 pm »

Looks like a beautiful place to be, but I agree with Fred about toning down the rock some on the left.  It's hard to tell from the image he provided, but I don't think I would darken it quite that much.  The leaves in the middle frame are also rather 'burnt'.  If it was my image I'd be tempted to remove the bridge railing, but that's just me.

Mike.
If your mind is attuned t

fredjeang

trailside
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2010, 08:37:09 pm »

Yes Mike, I pushed the darkening on the rock too much. But it was to get the idea.
I did that small size because sometimes I've noticed that it gives a sort of distance that help to see
globaly the impact of some retouching.

Cheers.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2010, 08:47:28 pm by fredjeang »

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
trailside
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2010, 03:23:02 am »

I hadn't intended to criticize you, Fred, just offering another opinion!    

Mike.
If your mind is attuned t

fredjeang

trailside
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2010, 05:42:58 am »

Quote from: wolfnowl
I hadn't intended to criticize you, Fred, just offering another opinion!    

Mike.
Hi Mike, I did not feel any criticism in your post, on the contrary  

In fact, I tend to use more and more little previews to check my own works.
I remember in painting, while in the studio, I physicaly took some meters distance when I wanted to check the overall image
into the working process.
I always found that the zoom tool did not give exactly what I wanted. So recently, I implemented an html system with
a switcher. I send a pic to a server in intranet and automatically rezised to 500px max width.
Then, I use the switcher to change the background color, grey, white or black and check the colors.

As I work with large formats, this helps me a lot to get an better idea.

Cheers.

Justan

• Justan-Elk.com
trailside
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2010, 10:31:27 am »

I updated the original pix with the suggestions provided.

Thanks for the feedback!

jasonrandolph

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/shutterpunk
trailside
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2010, 12:34:57 pm »

Justan, my problem with the image is that the focal point of the image isn't clear.  The composition is rather muddy, in that I really cannot determine what your intent was, other than to record what you saw.  There's some good light on the water under the rock on the left, but there's nothing there.  Perhaps a shallower DOF would work better.  Otherwise, it looks like a very interesting place with many photographic opportunities.

Justan

• Justan-Elk.com
trailside
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2010, 12:42:02 pm »

The intent is to show the beauity of the scene.

fredjeang

trailside
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2010, 12:51:32 pm »

Justan, I quite like the retouching you did, and it wasn't very easy.

The sensation I had, because of the washed whites and looking at the rendering on the rocks is that, or you used a small sensor like a compact cam, or max open aperture with a dslr kit zoom.
The camera focused mainly the closest plans like the rock. So that was not easy to recuperate, specially the lack of informations in the light and I think you did the best with what you had.

I think that according to what the original's may allowed (little room for post prod), you got it right on the money now.

Cheers.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2010, 01:01:27 pm by fredjeang »
Pages: [1]   Go Up