Equipment & Techniques > Cameras, Lenses and Shooting gear

infrared conversion

(1/4) > >>

Jeremy Roussak:
I'm thinking of having my old Canon 20D converted for infrared, since I don't use it much now I have a 5D2. I'd value some help: what are the pros and cons of different filters (i've seen mention of 720nm to 830nm as possibilities)? Can anyone recommend a place in the UK which will do it? The only one I've found is Advance Camera Services, in Norwich.

Any other tips gratefully received.

Thanks

Jeremy

Geoff Wittig:

--- Quote from: kikashi ---I'm thinking of having my old Canon 20D converted for infrared, since I don't use it much now I have a 5D2. I'd value some help: what are the pros and cons of different filters (i've seen mention of 720nm to 830nm as possibilities)? Can anyone recommend a place in the UK which will do it? The only one I've found is Advance Camera Services, in Norwich.

Thanks

Jeremy
--- End quote ---

Can't speak to conversion in U.K.; I had my old Eos-1Ds converted by Lifepixel in Washington State, U.S. They did an excellent job; not a single spot of dust on the sensor when it was returned.

Which filter you want depends on your goals. If you like bizarre color shifts and the 'color infrared' look, go for a filter in the 590 to 665 nm range. You can get a decent BW infrared look from this with some Photoshop post-production work. On the other hand, if you just want the 'deep infrared BW' look, go for the 830 nm conversion, which is what I did. This gives you the traditional frosty white vegetation/deep black skies look.

If you have a redundant camera and can afford the conversion, by all means do it. I find that the IR converted camera gives me something to shoot at high noon on sunny days, when otherwise I'd be drumming my fingers on the table impatiently waiting for the harsh contrast to go away. Even the harshest sunlight/shadow contrast generally falls within the available dynamic range of the sensor with the deep IR conversion.

ddk:

--- Quote from: kikashi ---I'm thinking of having my old Canon 20D converted for infrared, since I don't use it much now I have a 5D2. I'd value some help: what are the pros and cons of different filters (i've seen mention of 720nm to 830nm as possibilities)? Can anyone recommend a place in the UK which will do it? The only one I've found is Advance Camera Services, in Norwich.

Thanks

Jeremy
--- End quote ---

I'd go with the 720nm conversion, you get the same bw results in post as you'd get with the 830nm without loosing a stop and if you wanted there's still enough color left to process the blue and pink skies.

Robert DeCandido PhD:
Have a look at the NikonGear forum on IR (and UV):

http://nikongear.com/smf/index.php?board=57.0

Look at their fixed thread on the subject:

http://nikongear.com/smf/index.php?topic=22929.0

Some fine (if not the best) IR shooters post there regularly and they welcome questions, input, photos etc.

Folks generally recommend cameras with CCD sensors rather than CMOS sensors for IR (and conversion).

rdc/nyc

Yakim Peled:

--- Quote from: Robert DeCandido PhD ---Folks generally recommend cameras with CCD sensors rather than CMOS sensors for IR (and conversion).
--- End quote ---

If a camera is converted, does it still matter if it's CCD or CMOS? If so, how is it seen in the pictures?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version