Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Photographing a Winery  (Read 1780 times)

grilla

• http://thecolorblindphotographer.net
Photographing a Winery
« on: May 29, 2010, 02:15:23 am »

I am headed out on an afternoon trip to the wine country of Oregon. Past pictures that I have taken have been I admit horrible. Grapes and objects of this size befuddle me. I could go and rent a macro lens if needed. Please give me your advice and samples of the wineries you have photographed, and include  pictures of not just grapes and vines but the entire winery landscape.

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
Photographing a Winery
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2010, 03:00:35 am »

Please don't take this the wrong way, but this seems to fall into the 'too little, too late' category.  If you don't have the equipment you think you need and you have no experience making images of your subject, is the day you're going out the right time to be asking such a question?  

If you want to make macro images, buy or rent a macro lens.  Learn how to use it.  You may decide you need a ring flash or other two-head flash unit.  You may wish a tripod.  If you want to make pictures of a winery, look up wineries on the 'net and study the images.  What focal length lens (approximately) was used?  Distance to subject?  Lighting? Composition?  Take your camera out and practice making images with it.  Be critical with your images, using the same criteria.  If you're not happy with an image, what is it about the image that you don't like?  How could you have made it better?  Go try that.  Look again.  If you like an image, why?  What is it that works for you?

Making great images is no secret, just a lot of practice, some guidelines and determination.
Mike.
If your mind is attuned t

jdemott

Photographing a Winery
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2010, 12:41:27 pm »

Since you are talking about vines and grapes and landscapes, it sounds like you want to photograph a vineyard, not a winery.  At this time of year, you won't be photographing any grapes in Oregon--the vines are just developing their leaves and buds.  The grape clusters will develop over the course of the summer and will be at their peak at the end of the summer.  Early autumn is a good time to photograph the vineyards, since there is often a week or so when the grape leaves turn color and the vineyards are gorgeous.  If you want close-ups of the grapes, you will need to get permission from the vineyard owner unless you find some vines growing right at the edge of the road.

Do a Google image search on Oregon Vineyards.  You will see that many of the effective landscape photos are taken when there is nice light illuminating the rolling hills.  Often the photographer tries to use the long straight lines of the rows of grape plants to draw the eye through the image and to accentuate the contours of the hills.
John DeMott
Pages: [1]   Go Up