Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: C1 Focus window  (Read 2736 times)

Phil Indeblanc

C1 Focus window
« on: May 28, 2010, 02:36:40 pm »

I am starting to like the new C1 very much in its abilities.  
Nice flexibility in custom interface, strong processing power, and still like it over LR so far.(been some time since I played with LR).

**Warning, the following may be preceived as a complaint*** :-)

I have a simple issue, as you get into a flow of working, and you want to see the focus and checking the focus window, there is no "progress" bar or any indicaton that the file is still loading for optimal focus.  So I end up looking at the file and think...geeez this is not in focus, and then end up looking over other files, then come back and wait and bam, the same file is perfectly focus in the area that I intended focus....so the point is...if it is still loading to show focus....there is no way of knowing...and this gets very confusing.... As I test it now...there looks to be 3 states the file is in...

1. it is blurry loaded
2. a semi focussed state
3. properly focussed state

If I had 1 or 2 files to compare that would be sort of easy to wait and see.... BUT that isn't the case.  Can we add a loading progress to the focus window?

Has anyone else noticed this?
If you buy a camera, you're a photographer...

Doug Peterson

• http://www.doug-peterson.com
C1 Focus window
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2010, 03:17:19 pm »

Quote from: Phil Indeblanc
**Warning, the following may be preceived as a complaint*** :-)

I have a simple issue, as you get into a flow of working, and you want to see the focus and checking the focus window, there is no "progress" bar or any indicaton that the file is still loading for optimal focus.  So I end up looking at the file and think...geeez this is not in focus, and then end up looking over other files, then come back and wait and bam, the same file is perfectly focus in the area that I intended focus....so the point is...if it is still loading to show focus....there is no way of knowing...and this gets very confusing.

There's nothing wrong with a complaint especially when it is well thought out, constructive, and with the desire to see improvement.

Couldn't agree more with your suggestion. To specify the problem a little more specifically...
- When changing images in the main viewer or floating viewer a "still working" icon is displayed centered above the image (next to the RGB values if you are mousing over the image). This shows up anytime the viewer is not 100% rendered (including when changing images, when dragging, jumping to view a new area at 100%, changing the zoom level, making an adjustment etc).
- The focus window does not show the same behavior. There is not a separate indicator of progress, nor does it tie into the progress indicator for the main/floating window.

This is not the end of the world; but it is also something that clearly can and should be improved.

As a work around for now you could use the floating viewer set to single-image-view at 100%. This would show a progress indicator. Right click on that viewer (control click on mac) to bring up a navigator to change zoom points. Not as good as the focus window (not dock-able, can't make it really small, can't use the focus tool to instantly change locations).

You could also see if the Focus Mask tool (be sure to mess with the preference for threshold to suit your needs best) would substitute a lot of your 100% focus checking. That depends a lot on the type of subject you shoot.

Doug Peterson
Newsletter: Read Latest or Sign Up
RSS Feed: Subscribe
Buy Capture One at 10% off
Personal Work

fredjeang

C1 Focus window
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2010, 06:24:23 am »

Am I missing a point here?

Between the blurry loaded and the focussed state, wich is very fast, there is a "busy" indicator as Doug pointed.

But when using the focus window I noticed that there is zero time in focusing while in the main viewer there is a little process.
I've been trying this over and over again to check and got the same results:

-Focus in the main viewer takes a little process (less than 1 second for some 40Mb, and about 2sec for 100Mb files in my case)
where there are the 3 steps describes before. Blured-semi blured-focused.

I've noticed that the time to focus is absolutly consistent, always the same regardless of the amount of useless distrations that are running at the same time on the computer while working. I like to feel such stability.

-In the focus window on the contrary I've never had to wait. The lack of "busy" indication makes me think that it is not a conception mistake, simply if there is no waiting time, why will C1 display the little busy wheel?

Honestly, more I use C1, more I like it. I'm (re)discovering everyday new functions and all I have to say is that it is damn good.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2010, 06:26:53 am by fredjeang »
Pages: [1]   Go Up