Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Problems turning on Bluetooth/WiView on Leaf Aptus backs  (Read 5965 times)

rogerxnz

• Hayman Lawyers
Problems turning on Bluetooth/WiView on Leaf Aptus backs
« on: May 28, 2010, 07:15:45 am »

I and another user cannot turn on Bluetooth on our A22 (mine) and A75 (his) backs. When we select Setup/Wireless/Activation/On we get the message "The imaging module cannot change the Wireless status. Failed to initialize Bluetooth communication."

On the Leaf forum, Leaf suggest the backs should be sent for repair but do not seem to know what would need repair.

Another contact has said that Bluetooth cannot be turned on if you have upgraded the software in the back with that supplied with LC 11.2 and above. That is, WiView will only work with the software that is downloaded with LC 11.1 and lower.

This does not sound correct to me because I was using WiView on my A17 with LC 11.2.4, which is the same software that I tried to use with my A22 but without success. If I downgrade to LC 11.1, it will not work with MacOS X 10.6.

It would be great to know:

Whether others have got "The imaging module cannot change the Wireless status. Failed to initialize Bluetooth communication." message and whether they were able to fix the situation and turn on Bluetooth (and how they did it and what version of LC did they use); and

Whether any users have been able to turn on Bluetooth on their backs using LC 11.2 and later.

Thank you
Roger

Roger Hayman
Wellington, New Zealand

UlfKrentz

• http://www.shoots.de
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2010, 11:21:12 am »

Hi Roger,

we always work tethered, so we do not have any experience using Bluetooth, but it just tried, it can be activated on the touchscreen, showing the blue icon at the border.
Backs are A75S / A22, in use with LC11.2.8 on OSX10.5

Cheers, Ulf

yaya

• http://yayapro.com
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2010, 11:31:58 am »

Quote from: rogerxnz
I and another user cannot turn on Bluetooth on our A22 (mine) and A75 (his) backs. When we select Setup/Wireless/Activation/On we get the message "The imaging module cannot change the Wireless status. Failed to initialize Bluetooth communication."

On the Leaf forum, Leaf suggest the backs should be sent for repair but do not seem to know what would need repair.

Another contact has said that Bluetooth cannot be turned on if you have upgraded the software in the back with that supplied with LC 11.2 and above. That is, WiView will only work with the software that is downloaded with LC 11.1 and lower.

This does not sound correct to me because I was using WiView on my A17 with LC 11.2.4, which is the same software that I tried to use with my A22 but without success. If I downgrade to LC 11.1, it will not work with MacOS X 10.6.

It would be great to know:

Whether others have got "The imaging module cannot change the Wireless status. Failed to initialize Bluetooth communication." message and whether they were able to fix the situation and turn on Bluetooth (and how they did it and what version of LC did they use); and

Whether any users have been able to turn on Bluetooth on their backs using LC 11.2 and later.

Thank you
Roger

The latests firmware for your back came with 11.2.4. If the BT module doesn't switch on then it may well be at fault and will need to be repaired. Best is to contact your dealer or to submit a support case here

BR

Yair
Yair Shahar | Product Manager | Phase One - Cultural Heritage
e: ysh@phaseone.com |

rogerxnz

• Hayman Lawyers
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2010, 06:06:31 pm »

Thank you, Ulf.
Of the four backs I know have been tested, yours is the only one to "pass."

Any more out there?
Roger

Quote from: UlfKrentz
Hi Roger,

we always work tethered, so we do not have any experience using Bluetooth, but it just tried, it can be activated on the touchscreen, showing the blue icon at the border.
Backs are A75S / A22, in use with LC11.2.8 on OSX10.5

Cheers, Ulf
Roger Hayman
Wellington, New Zealand

rogerxnz

• Hayman Lawyers
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2010, 06:29:23 pm »

Thank you, Yair.

What you say makes sense but I would first like to know that the problem is solvable without great expense. I suspect quite a few backs have this problem and I would like to know that it can be fixed (without my having to buy an new e-box, for example) before I send mine off.

I have reinstalled LC 11.0.1 and 11.1 and uploaded their versions of the back software but without success. That would seem to disprove what my contact was told by his local Leaf technician.

So, have others had this problem and were you able to get it fixed? How did you fix the problem?
Roger

Quote from: yaya
The latests firmware for your back came with 11.2.4. If the BT module doesn't switch on then it may well be at fault and will need to be repaired. Best is to contact your dealer or to submit a support case here

BR

Yair
Roger Hayman
Wellington, New Zealand

rogerxnz

• Hayman Lawyers
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2010, 06:33:56 pm »

Here's another version:

"Leaf stopped the Bluetooth option in later models for a number of reasons;

1.       HP IPAQ is no longer manufactured
2.       The Aircraft grade aluminium used to make the chassis reduced the effective operation of the Bluetooth
3.       Built in screen made it virtually redundant."

This is from a European dealer.

So, what is the correct story, Yair? Are all Aptus backs  WiView compatible or not?

To me, with my Flexbody, the WiView feature is what sets the Aptus backs on a higher pedestal than the others.
Roger
Roger Hayman
Wellington, New Zealand

gotspeed

« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2010, 06:39:04 pm »

I switched it on mine yesteday just for kicks.  I have nothing to connect to.

Is Leaf working on releasing the WiView for windows? I am sure more and more windows laptops have bluetooth. If the code base is windows-like, maybe a porting job from pocket-pc would not be too great? As of right now i am going to get me a MBP for that  apple only-firewire port with enough juice to supply the back with power. PCMCIA/express cards apparently only supply 500MA/6W. So windows laptop for leaf is a non-starter.

From the looks of the WiView app (based on theuser guide) and it looking so much like the actual back interface, the leaf must be pocket-pc based as well.
Just an observation..

Mark

yaya

« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2010, 06:50:32 pm »

Here's another version:

"Leaf stopped the Bluetooth option in later models for a number of reasons;

1.       HP IPAQ is no longer manufactured
2.       The Aircraft grade aluminium used to make the chassis reduced the effective operation of the Bluetooth
3.       Built in screen made it virtually redundant."

This is from a European dealer.

So, what is the correct story, Yair? Are all Aptus backs  WiView compatible or not?

To me, with my Flexbody, the WiView feature is what sets the Aptus backs on a higher pedestal than the others.
Roger

There is no story,

Your back has the hardware and firmware but the module (or some other fault inside the back) prevents it from working, therefore it needs to be looked at. This is covered by the warranty if you have one.

Current Aptus-II models do not have this feature for the reasons listed above.

Yair

yaya

« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2010, 07:00:22 pm »

Quote from: gotspeed
Is Leaf working on releasing the WiView for windows?
No
As of right now i am going to get me a MBP for that  apple only-firewire port with enough juice to supply the back with power. PCMCIA/express cards apparently only supply 500MA/6W. So windows laptop for leaf is a non-starter.
You can use a powered repeater such as the one provided by Leaf with the same power supply that came with your charger
From the looks of the WiView app (based on theuser guide) and it looking so much like the actual back interface, the leaf must be pocket-pc based as well.
Just an observation...
Don't need to guess too much, there's a sticker at the bottom of the back that says Win CE

gotspeed

« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2010, 07:11:30 pm »

Thanks for the info. Too bad about the app not being considered, but if the #2 is correct than not much point.

Yeah external power of some kind is doable with those adapters as well, but that means you are tethered not only to the laptop but now to your outlet.

Quote from: yaya
No
You can use a powered repeater such as the one provided by Leaf with the same power supply that came with your chargerDon't need to guess too much, there's a sticker at the bottom of the back that says Win CE
« Last Edit: May 28, 2010, 07:15:14 pm by gotspeed »

rogerxnz

• Hayman Lawyers
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2010, 10:50:08 pm »

So, Mark, were you able to turn on the Wireless module? [Setup/Wireless/Activation/On]

It does not matter that you have nothing to connect to. The module should turn on and off as you command.
Roger

I switched it on mine yesteday just for kicks.  I have nothing to connect to.

Is Leaf working on releasing the WiView for windows? I am sure more and more windows laptops have bluetooth. If the code base is windows-like, maybe a porting job from pocket-pc would not be too great? As of right now i am going to get me a MBP for that  apple only-firewire port with enough juice to supply the back with power. PCMCIA/express cards apparently only supply 500MA/6W. So windows laptop for leaf is a non-starter.

Just an observation..

Mark
Roger Hayman
Wellington, New Zealand

gotspeed

« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2010, 04:07:01 am »

yes ...
So, Mark, were you able to turn on the Wireless module? [Setup/Wireless/Activation/On]

It does not matter that you have nothing to connect to. The module should turn on and off as you command.
Roger

gotspeed

« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2010, 01:19:05 pm »

OK so I figured to go cheap for now.. and with the uncertainties on the mbp fw power,  ordered an expresscard34  2x800fw with an external power supply. Will try to run c1 or lc beta.  If I buy a mac with the slot, this will still serve a purpose. I picked up a 800/800 cable, hopefully it will all work. I have a couple of 40w digital camera batteries if i am lucky they make a cable for the dc plug on the adapter.

yes ...
« Last Edit: June 01, 2010, 12:53:59 pm by gotspeed »
Pages: [1]   Go Up