Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Aperture 3 ignoring embedded profiles?  (Read 4693 times)

msbc

Aperture 3 ignoring embedded profiles?
« on: May 28, 2010, 12:02:34 am »

I merged two RAW files in PhotoMatixPro to produce a TIFF with embedded ProPhotoRGB profile. When I imported this TIF into Aperture3 it didn't look quite right - colors were toned down in bright areas. I checked how the same image looks in my other apps (PSCS4, Bridge, Lightroom 2 and 3b2, LightZone and Preview) and they all display it the same - only Aperture3 is different.

To illustrate what I'm seeing here is a screen shot showing the same image in Preview and Aperture - the color differences in the rock are quite obvious Screen Capture.

I don't see this problem with my RAW images so I can only deduce that Aperture is ignoring the embedded profile in the TIF while all the other apps are honouring it. I really prefer Aperture to LR but if this is the case this would make Aperture unusable for non-RAW images.

Can anybody else confirm what I'm seeing?

Mark
Mark Connell
Melbourne, Australia

KirbyKrieger

• Kirby Krieger Pictures
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2010, 09:39:23 am »

There have been reports of problems with Photomatix and Aperture, some of which seem to have been resolved with the recent upgrades to Aperture (3.0.3 and the ProKit upgrade).  Assuming you have those installed, your best bet it a quick query to Photomatix.  Others have reported quick and helpful responses.

JonRoemer

• http://www.jonroemer.com/
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2010, 10:01:48 am »

Quote from: msbc
I merged two RAW files in PhotoMatixPro to produce a TIFF with embedded ProPhotoRGB profile. When I imported this TIF into Aperture3 it didn't look quite right - colors were toned down in bright areas. I checked how the same image looks in my other apps (PSCS4, Bridge, Lightroom 2 and 3b2, LightZone and Preview) and they all display it the same - only Aperture3 is different.

To illustrate what I'm seeing here is a screen shot showing the same image in Preview and Aperture - the color differences in the rock are quite obvious Screen Capture.

I don't see this problem with my RAW images so I can only deduce that Aperture is ignoring the embedded profile in the TIF while all the other apps are honouring it. I really prefer Aperture to LR but if this is the case this would make Aperture unusable for non-RAW images.

Can anybody else confirm what I'm seeing?

I don't see the same behavior in terms of a file generated outside of Aperture (I don't have PhotoMatixPro) but.... if I have a 16-bit Tiff file, Pro Photo color space, created from raw in Photoshop, and I import it into Aperture.  The color matches perfectly between Aperture, Photoshop, and Preview.

I'd guess the problem lies with PhotoMatixPro or it's possible to get screen mismatch issues if you are using two displays and have not designated the default display.  See this thread for the latter.

msbc

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2010, 02:59:24 am »

This might be PhotoMatix specific problem. My original image was produced using the plug-in for Aperture. I re-did this using the standalone PhotoMatix and don't see the same issue. I also converted a NEF to TIF in PSCS4 and imported that TIF into Aperture - both match.

I'll contact HDRsoft.

Thanks,
Mark
Mark Connell
Melbourne, Australia
Pages: [1]   Go Up