Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Z3100 banding on solid black  (Read 1954 times)

DotCom Editor

Z3100 banding on solid black
« on: May 27, 2010, 08:48:15 pm »

I'm printing white orchids shot against a black background. The background in Photoshop is pure black: 0,0,0. Printing onto either HP ID Satin or Epson Premium Luster (or whatever they're calling it this week). Gloss Enhancer is Off.

The black is banding -- when you look at the print from an angle. Viewed straight on, it looks ok. From an angle, the entire black portion of the image is banded. There are no missing dots, all the black is there. Thus, I conclude no nozzles are blocked. But the banding is there.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

namartinnz

« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2010, 12:02:56 am »

What is your print quality setting? I found having print quality set to "Best" in printer properties ,ie 600dpi, eliminated any banding issues. 300dpi it was quite evident. I always use GE set to full page.

Neal

Ernst Dinkla

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2010, 03:02:43 am »

Quote from: DotCom Editor
I'm printing white orchids shot against a black background. The background in Photoshop is pure black: 0,0,0. Printing onto either HP ID Satin or Epson Premium Luster (or whatever they're calling it this week). Gloss Enhancer is Off.

The black is banding -- when you look at the print from an angle. Viewed straight on, it looks ok. From an angle, the entire black portion of the image is banded. There are no missing dots, all the black is there. Thus, I conclude no nozzles are blocked. But the banding is there.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

You will see the effect of a mild banding represented in gloss differential on gloss media with the GE off. Hold the sheet between you and a light source and it will show the actual, probably low frequency banding. Not unfamiliar to me. With GE on it will show less as the gloss differential disappears more and the the black reaches a more uniform Dmax. The actual banding is still there in transmitted light. Using more weaving strokes should eliminate the banding, a higher print resolution does that too. Higher frequency banding is usually solved with a head realignment.

met vriendelijke groeten, Ernst Dinkla

Try: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Wide_Inkjet_Printers/

taxione

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2010, 01:14:09 pm »

Quote from: Ernst Dinkla
You will see the effect of a mild banding represented in gloss differential on gloss media with the GE off. Hold the sheet between you and a light source and it will show the actual, probably low frequency banding. Not unfamiliar to me. With GE on it will show less as the gloss differential disappears more and the the black reaches a more uniform Dmax. The actual banding is still there in transmitted light. Using more weaving strokes should eliminate the banding, a higher print resolution does that too. Higher frequency banding is usually solved with a head realignment.

I'm getting really bad banding on my Z3200...on both color and B+w.  A seperate issue, which another poster shared, is that I get a grey border around my prints, wherever there's GE.  With this odd grey border is banding, also.  I get banding with or without this odd grey border.  The other poster's isue was resolved by replacing the grey/GE head.  I'm thinking that even if I do this, I'll still have banding.  Any suggestions?  THank you.

Adam

photogoalie

• http://
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2010, 02:34:12 pm »

I got rid of this problem by using the "more passes" option.

Hope this helps.

Carl

taxione

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2010, 02:45:50 pm »

Quote from: photogoalie
I got rid of this problem by using the "more passes" option.

Hope this helps.

Carl

I've tried that, but, it doesn't help.  Any other suggestions?  Thanks

Ernst Dinkla

« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2010, 03:16:36 pm »

Quote from: taxione
I'm getting really bad banding on my Z3200...on both color and B+w.  A seperate issue, which another poster shared, is that I get a grey border around my prints, wherever there's GE.  With this odd grey border is banding, also.  I get banding with or without this odd grey border.  The other poster's isue was resolved by replacing the grey/GE head.  I'm thinking that even if I do this, I'll still have banding.  Any suggestions?  THank you.

Adam

I recall that thread. It was somewhat illogical that the grey was seen when the GE was used in economy mode yet not when the print page was done with GE in total (or vice versa). It suggested a software issue instead of a head failing but with the head replacement it was solved. Looks like your issue is the same. What causes it in the head isn't explained though, normally when the wrong color gets out it is a broken barrier between the two ink parts, it could as well be some electronic short cut in this case.

The easy answer is that you have to exchange the head anyway. If it also solves the banding you kill two birds ... Wouldn't surprise me that it causes the banding too as the grey ink head is used for almost any job and there must be something wrong with that head.

DotCom Editor

« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2010, 08:41:43 pm »

I went into "Best" mode (600 dpi) and turned Gloss Enhancer on, too. Together, they solved the problem. I now have beautiful white orchids against a completely solid black background. Any more of this, and I'll need to purchase a case of PK cartridges. Thanks for your help.

taxione

« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2010, 09:54:54 pm »

I recall that thread. It was somewhat illogical that the grey was seen when the GE was used in economy mode yet not when the print page was done with GE in total (or vice versa). It suggested a software issue instead of a head failing but with the head replacement it was solved. Looks like your issue is the same. What causes it in the head isn't explained though, normally when the wrong color gets out it is a broken barrier between the two ink parts, it could as well be some electronic short cut in this case.

The easy answer is that you have to exchange the head anyway. If it also solves the banding you kill two birds ... Wouldn't surprise me that it causes the banding too as the grey ink head is used for almost any job and there must be something wrong with that head.

Thank you
Pages: [1]   Go Up