Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Brooks Falls  (Read 3976 times)

Curt

• www.pbase.com/cwphoto
Brooks Falls
« on: April 06, 2004, 03:44:25 pm »

I spent July 15 & 16 at nearby Katmai NP during a very good salmon run. Used 80-200, 300 & 500 f4. Many used 600mm, but that seemed excessive. A 300 was optimun for many photos.  Film  used was Fuji Velvia 50, Sensia 100 & 400. I carried three camera bodies with a different film in each. Now I have a Fuji S2 which I didn't have then, I could have varied the ISO to suit lighting which ranged from bright sun to fog.

I believe the bears can come even closer at Brooks Falls.
At Katmai the regulations are not as strict; meaning that one can come & go when & wherever prudence dictates.

jengwen

• http://www.jenrichardsphotography.com
Brooks Falls
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2004, 04:18:33 pm »

Curt, can I ask where you were in Katmai?  I will be going there in late June for 5 days as a volunteer with some researchers as part of a brown bear study.  We will be staying near the Douglas River at the tip of the Peninsula.  It is a coastal area, so I am anxious to see and photgraph that bear behavior.  I don't have much idea of what to expect as far as other wildlife and scenery.

matt4626

Brooks Falls
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2004, 01:57:44 pm »

I am planning a trip to Brooks Falls AK to photograph brown bears in July. Any advise on locations, equipment, etc. will be most apprecated.

scarriere

Brooks Falls
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2004, 07:53:02 am »

I like setting up a tripod right smack in the middle of my garden and giving myself a quota of say, taking 100 pictures over a 12-hour period. I've done this at different times of the year. It's a good exercise for learning to see things you might photograph than escape you at first glance.

Curt

• www.pbase.com/cwphoto
Brooks Falls
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2004, 05:13:33 pm »

Jenwen
I was in the NP on Naknek Lake. Traveled by floatplane from King Salmon. It was some of the best days of my life. I refer to the area as "Jurassic Park" for bears. The area is the site of major volcanic activity about a century ago.
I envy you going there to study bears. I suppose you heard of the Treadwell episode last autumn near the coast.

Curt
Pages: [1]   Go Up