Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Minimum apertures for Pentax-A 645 lenses  (Read 1917 times)

Peter Barnes

• Peter Barnes photographer
Minimum apertures for Pentax-A 645 lenses
« on: May 26, 2010, 11:17:57 pm »

Hi, I am about to start using my recently acquired set of Pentax A series 645s on a Canon 5D (my Zörk shift adapter is on its way).  Does anyone have a feel for how far I could stop these lenses down before diffraction becomes a noticeable issue with this set up?  I will be mainly using a 35mm and 45mm, but I also have a 75mm and 150mm.  I want to be able to print up to A2 (16x24 inches).
Peter Barnes

Rod.Klukas

• http://www.rodklukas.com
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2010, 01:25:46 am »

Quote from: PeterBarnes
Hi, I am about to start using my recently acquired set of Pentax A series 645s on a Canon 5D (my Zörk shift adapter is on its way).  Does anyone have a feel for how far I could stop these lenses down before diffraction becomes a noticeable issue with this set up?  I will be mainly using a 35mm and 45mm, but I also have a 75mm and 150mm.  I want to be able to print up to A2 (16x24 inches).
Peter,
Most lenses are at there best 1-2 stops down from open and 3 stops as far as wide angle lenses are concerned.  This topping down eliminates the refraction issue.  Past that, diffraction will rear its head vis-a-vis the amount of enlargement.
Now the cloudy issue--Pentax did not do such a good job with the 645 A lenses, perhaps to keep prices down, compared to their great 6x7 Pentax lenses.  So I would try to stay at the F stop parameters I stated above, as after about 11-16 diffraction really sets in, and  significant softening of the image will occur.
Your 5D will require 16x magnification to reach 16x20.  with the maximum resoluton of the human eye usually stated at 8 lines per MM, using the 8 lines times the magification, 16x., you get 128 Lpm as your goal for resolution required for a tack sharp 16x20.
You need to be near 4-5.6 aperture for that size...  
Testing will tell.
Rod
Rod Klukas
US Representative Arca-Swiss

ndevlin

• Follow me on Twitter
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2010, 10:22:40 pm »

My understanding (from Pentax) is that optimum aperatures for every lens are part of the Program AE algorithm, so that the camera will tend towards the ideal aperature for sharpness unless overridden.  If this is so, then a little experimentation should quickly tells us where Pentax think each lens's  'sweat-spot' is.

- N.
Nick Devlin   @onelittlecamera        ww

Peter Barnes

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2010, 04:28:04 am »

Thanks for the responses.  To ndevlin, Part of my problem is that I don't have a 645 camera to test these lenses on, so I have no way of telling what apertures would be used when set to P.   Rod, when you say "Your 5D will require 16x magnification to reach 16x20" are you saying that the area of the 5D sensor is 16 times less than the area of a 16x20 inch sheet?
« Last Edit: May 30, 2010, 04:28:36 am by PeterBarnes »
Peter Barnes

ondebanks

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2010, 06:43:41 am »

Quote from: PeterBarnes
Thanks for the responses.  To ndevlin, Part of my problem is that I don't have a 645 camera to test these lenses on, so I have no way of telling what apertures would be used when set to P.   Rod, when you say "Your 5D will require 16x magnification to reach 16x20" are you saying that the area of the 5D sensor is 16 times less than the area of a 16x20 inch sheet?

Not quite. It's 16 times shorter in both dimensions, so 16x16 = 256 times less area than a 16x24 inch print; somewhat less for a 16x20 inch print.

Very simple mental calculation.
5D = full frame 35mm = 24mm x 36mm
24mm ~= 25.4mm = 1 inch
So 16 inches = 16x enlargement

You do the calculation on the short side of the sensor (24mm) since the long side would have to be cropped a bit. An uncropped 16x enlargement would be 16x24 inches, maintaining the 2:3 aspect ratio.

It has always been possible to quickly estimate enlargement factors for 35mm film (no different to 35mm full frame digital) in this shorthand way. Just treat the frame/sensor size as 1x1.5 inches and you're set.

Peter Barnes

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2010, 10:39:35 pm »

Thanks again - I do like it when tried and proven film darkroom techniques can be applied to digital photography.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2010, 01:21:11 am by PeterBarnes »
Peter Barnes
Pages: [1]   Go Up