Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Polarize  (Read 2016 times)

pmpm

Polarize
« on: May 26, 2010, 03:40:26 am »

Is it possible to replicate the effect of a polarizer using Lightroom.
If so what is the workflow please.

eliedinur

Polarize
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2010, 05:00:04 am »

Quote from: pmpm
Polarizers are used primarily for two purposes; 1) the darkening of a the sky and 2) reducing reflections from shiny surfaces (actually 1 is a subset of 2). For skies use LR's Graduated Filter, although if the horizon line is "complicated" the better masking tools of a pixel editor might be preferable. For the second purpose, I don't think any software can replace the filter.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2010, 05:01:17 am by elied »
Roll over Ed Weston,
Tell Ansel Adams th

Ed Blagden

Polarize
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2010, 12:20:04 pm »

Quote from: pmpm

No, at least not exactly.

However you can get quite close by going to the HSL panel, and reducing the luminance on the blue channel (or selecting the blue sky with the colour picker tool and then reducing luminance).  Don't go too far though, or you will get posterization.

This comes close to a polarizer in darkening a blue sky and increasing cloud contrast.  However, the other thing a polarizer does is reduce glare and reflections, and I don't know of a good software based alternative to that.

Ed

nemophoto

• Nemo Niemann Photography
Polarize
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2010, 12:46:01 pm »

The best way to "synthetically" create polarization is a plugin, such as Nik ColorEfex. It has a polarizer filter that's fairly realistic, though, of course, it cannot reduce reflections. you can download a trial which works within both Lightroom and Photoshop.

Nemo

Ed Blagden

Polarize
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2010, 02:02:32 pm »

Now I think of it, there is another faux-polarizer type kludge which I sometimes use on shiny skin in portraits.  African skin is different from European, and can really shine up, which is not a good thing.  In the old days of film, a polarizer would help mitigate and is still the best solution for digital, but absent a polarizer in Lightroom I do the following:

- Use the brush to select the offending area, usually the nose or forehead.
- Reduce brightness slightly, and then apply a little negative clarity.

As always, don't over-do it.  Less is more.

Ed

NikoJorj

• http://nikojorj.free.fr/
Polarize
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2010, 08:16:43 am »

Quote from: Ed Blagden
you can get quite close by going to the HSL panel, and reducing the luminance on the blue channel (or selecting the blue sky with the colour picker tool and then reducing luminance).
Ditoo, I've made a preset with luminance -30 for Blue, and another where the "earthy" shades (orange, yellow, green) are also lightened (+20-30 luminance) which can better mimic the polarizer in some cases.
Season to taste.
Nicolas from Grenoble
A small gallery
Pages: [1]   Go Up