Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Phase One acquires Expression Media (formerly iView Media)  (Read 8821 times)

yaya

• http://yayapro.com
Phase One acquires Expression Media (formerly iView Media)
« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2010, 06:39:44 am »

Quote from: Neil Folberg
Steve Hendrix wrote:

[I've confirmed that anyone who is a Capture One Pro owner can download Expressions Media for free ($199 value) until June 30. You'll have to go through a check-out process (just make sure to add to cart the version that costs $0). You will have to enter a credit card number, but your total will be $0 charged. An activation email will then find its way to you.]

I wonder, I have an old version of iView Pro, to which they promised a free upgrade to the Microsoft version when it was ready; but in fact I never received that offer.  I don't have Capture 1. But I do have a Leaf AFi-ii 7 and now that they are offering tethered support for that camera and are now supporting service for that camera I am tempted to purchase it. If I can also get the new iView for free until June 30th it is doubly tempting.

So - if I buy C1 Pro before June 30 can I get the Microsoft version of i View free?
And will it read my older iView catalogs?

Thanks,
Neil

Hi Neil, the best would be to submit an inquiry via the support system, we can then direct it to the relevant people so you will get all the correct answers:
Phase One/ Leaf support page

Shabat Shalom, yair

Yair Shahar | Product Manager | Phase One - Cultural Heritage
e: ysh@phaseone.com |

Neil Folberg

• http://www.visiongallery.com
« Reply #21 on: May 28, 2010, 10:24:12 am »

Thanks Yair -
Shabbat Shalom!

Quote from: yaya
Hi Neil, the best would be to submit an inquiry via the support system, we can then direct it to the relevant people so you will get all the correct answers:

Shabat Shalom, yair

bcooter

« Reply #22 on: May 28, 2010, 12:20:52 pm »

Shabat Shalom, yair

You can open a support case with Phase, but be prepared to wait (really wait)  as I doubt if they have huge experience from I-view to Expression media on multiple platforms, operating systems and all forms of media that I-view plays.

Anyway;

You can run both I-view and Expression media on the same machine without issue, at least on Macs in most flavors.  I've done so from 10.4 to Snow leopard.

As far as catalog compatibility it's kind of hit and miss.  Some machines will let I-view open an catalog made with Expression some won't, but you can open I-view and open Expression Media and  copy the catalog over to an expression media catalog.  Not the best solution, but it will work.

Like Gwitifhffhwiff, I keep a copy of I-view 3.7 for various reasons.  One I have some customized templates, but 3.7 is compatible with almost any browser dating back to PC, Explorer stone age.

A word of caution.  Some Expression Media templates that produce web galleries will not play on some PC operating systems and yes, I've learned this the hard way, so keep a copy of 3.7 I-view or test any web gallery you make on a few PC's and older macs.

For the creative world running macs this is usually not a problem, but they do send this stuff to their clients and some IT guys have kept large corporations on older versions of Explorer forever.

You do not want one of those calls on Friday at 6 pm saying, "my client can't see the images".

Also when you make large galleries with I-view/Expression Media, tell your viewers to Let all of the thumbnails load before viewing, if not that just get blank large images and you'll get another one of those calls saying, "it doesn't work on my computer".

Don't you love the digital world?

BC

Doug Peterson

• http://www.doug-peterson.com
« Reply #23 on: May 28, 2010, 12:49:27 pm »

Quote from: bcooter
You can open a support case with Phase, but be prepared to wait (really wait)  as I doubt if they have huge experience from I-view to Expression media on multiple platforms, operating systems and all forms of media that I-view plays.

My bet is that he, and anyone else starting support cases for iView will find Phase One making a strong effort to make first-class support a feature of the new Phase One owned Expression Media.

Probably some degree of patience in this regard would be fair.  For instance, we (Capture Integration) have been busting our butts to become true authorities on EM, but it's fair to say it will be a good while before we can say that our knowledge of EM matches our reputation for C1 expertise.

As mentioned on multiple threads now and by multiple users EM/iView have some very big strengths and is built on a very solid foundation but development had stagnated (and in some cases gone in the wrong direction). If Phase One can add integration to C1 for processing, clean up some of the problems, and add a few modern features it could be a big change in this segment of the market. As my research continues, and as more customers contact me with their thoughts, and reading the responses here on the forum it's hard to see this anything but great (or at least highly promising) news for Phase One users, Capture One users, and those who are not satisfied with the all-in-one philosophy, overall architecture/flexibility, or processing of LightRoom or Aperture but still need a good cataloging solution.

Excited to see where this goes.

Doug Peterson
Newsletter: Read Latest or Sign Up
RSS Feed: Subscribe
Buy Capture One at 10% off
Personal Work

yaya

« Reply #24 on: May 28, 2010, 12:50:45 pm »

Took the best part of 32 minutes to get an initial reply and possibly another day or 3 (weekend) to have a confirmations...

Yes they are learning but they (we) learn fast!

Yair

bcooter

« Reply #25 on: May 28, 2010, 01:13:46 pm »

Took the best part of 32 minutes to get an initial reply and possibly another day or 3 (weekend) to have a confirmations...

Yes they are learning but they (we) learn fast!

Yair

That wasn't my point.

We've already been warned by your A-number one dealer, that it will take a while for them to get up to speed.

Then again I don't know what the original poster uses I-view for, but I use it to carry a lot of documents from pdfs, mpg4, h264, layered Tiffs for review to jpegs for web galleries on numerous platforms.

Maybe Phase has experience with all of those in every template, on every operating system and every browser.

if so that's good for all of us, but you must have a special line to Phase because when my dealer opened a support case on black frames and half black frames when tethering a p30 and the  p30+, they got back to me . . . let me check my calendar . . . hold on I'm looking . . .never, even after I sent uploads of files on my server to them.

BC

yaya

« Reply #26 on: May 28, 2010, 01:40:52 pm »

That wasn't my point.

We've already been warned by your A-number one dealer, that it will take a while for them to get up to speed.

Then again I don't know what the original poster uses I-view for, but I use it to carry a lot of documents from pdfs, mpg4, h264, layered Tiffs for review to jpegs for web galleries on numerous platforms.

Maybe Phase has experience with all of those in every template, on every operating system and every browser.

if so that's good for all of us, but you must have a special line to Phase because when my dealer opened a support case on black frames and half black frames when tethering a p30 and the  p30+, they got back to me . . . let me check my calendar . . . hold on I'm looking . . .never, even after I sent uploads of files on my server to them.

BC

In no way I was meaning to offend you or to question your (definitely superior) knowledge of the product. My apology.

But in all honestly, it really took me 32 minutes and that's because I was on the phone to a dealer about something else.

If there's anything I can do to speed up your case just let me know

Yair

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #27 on: May 28, 2010, 05:32:02 pm »

You'll find that Peter Krogh's The DAM Book forum is the place for expert help on iView/EM.

John

terence_patrick

• http://www.terencepatrick.com
« Reply #28 on: May 28, 2010, 08:18:20 pm »

#1 priority improvement of iView/EM is to demolish the limitations of only a 2GB catalog size limit.

#2 is to greatly increase the number of images that can be in a catalog.

#3 ability to export catalogs, complete with labels and ratings, as PDF contact sheets (as a single step) with active checkboxes for clients to make selects from, save, and email back.

PDFs are really the only file type that agencies, magazines, and most other corporate clients know how to handle and can easily open with their company-assigned computers. The joke that was the iView Catalog Reader is useless when an Art Buyer doesn't have admin rights to their computers and can't install anything without getting IT involved.

mmurph

• http://
« Reply #29 on: May 28, 2010, 09:14:10 pm »

Quote from: johnbeardy
But back to the iView/EM database, its limit of 2Gb on the size of the database file was too small and iView - unlike Lightroom - made the mistake of storing its thumbnails and previews inside the catalogue file. That made the 2gb limit far too easy to reach, so users ever got near the iView database's technical limit of 128k records. By comparison I work with one guy whose LR catalogue exceeds 250k pictures.

OTOH, iView does have 16 user-definable custom fields. These, like other fields, can be supported by "vocabulary editor" files which are simply text files which provide a list of permissible entries. The feature, while useful, is quite primitive and you can't set the fields to be numbers, dates etc, or multi-value.

Thank you John, very helpful!

Don't get me wrong on LR. It is a very nice tool. But it is too easy to change workflow assumptions or standards mid-stream in a catalog - maybe after 6 months of use - and then not retrieve all of the records you need to retrieve for a past job.  "Second level edit", "final edit images are flagged with xx", or whatever you call a "step" in your workflow. Even for a single user. It's not the technical language, just slipping/drifting user standards and expectations that can lead to incomplete results, if that makes sense?

Thx again. The 2GB limit and implentation of the 16 user defined fields tells me a lot off the start ....

Best,
Michael

Snook

« Reply #30 on: June 08, 2010, 04:09:59 pm »

I seem to get pixel P30 files and they never render through Iview and expressions 2?
Any else have this happen or am I missing something..
I use it a lot with tons of old cr2 files and labeling and sorting is FAST..
But with the P30 files slow to load and thumbnail and image are Pixelated..
Any suggestions?
Thanks...
Strange Phase is using it but the .TIF files do not render correctly..
Snook

bcooter

« Reply #31 on: June 08, 2010, 04:59:56 pm »

Quote from: Snook
I seem to get pixel P30 files and they never render through Iview and expressions 2?
Any else have this happen or am I missing something..
I use it a lot with tons of old cr2 files and labeling and sorting is FAST..
But with the P30 files slow to load and thumbnail and image are Pixelated..
Any suggestions?
Thanks...
Strange Phase is using it but the .TIF files do not render correctly..
Snook

It's because most of the processing in a Phase file is done in the conversion software, i.e. C-1, Raw Developer, Lightroom, Photoshop, etc, so when you drop a raw phase file into Expression media/I-view you are just seeing the small embedded preview that doesn't have noise reduction or any processing information, other than white balance.  Especially noise reduction, because if you'll notice on the back of your camera, the higher iso you go the rougher the preview gets.

This is one of the reasons you see such a semi rough preivew on most medium format backs, because unlike a dslr (or the new Pentax) there really is no in camera processing, so consequently until Phase has some form of in camera processing, even a new and much improved lcd will not have much effect on the current preview.

In regards to speed of rendering the Phase previews, I've always found they render out pretty quick, mostly because it's a very small embedded preview.

The one great use I have for I-view/Expression media is since I shoot multiple cameras for multiple reasons, sometimes during the same session, I can load all the raw files from all the cameras, drag and drop to put the raw files in place, rename all the raw files so they are in sequence and a logical order, then copy those renamed raw files into a disk I label as master.  Then obviously duplicate that disk for security.  Then after a few quick checks to make sure everything
copied correctly and will process, I throw away the previous originals as they have a different naming structure.

P.S.   One work of caution when renaming.  Keep the names as short as possible.  We recently completed a large project (10,000 files) where the client wanted specific names that were quite large.  Not knowing (or maybe I knew but not remembering) that older Microsoft systems truncated, and changed the names of any file that is long than I think 8 characters (I may be wrong about the actual number), the file numbers the client sent the AD who in turn sent them to us went from 001_blue_dog_runs_wild to bc87j4 which meant we had to visually search for each file.

Not easy.

BC
« Last Edit: June 08, 2010, 05:13:07 pm by bcooter »

Snook

« Reply #32 on: June 08, 2010, 05:14:58 pm »

Although I appreciate your post not sure if you helped..
It is impoossible to see if the images are focused or not. Cannot even see if the person has their eyes open or not..
It is like the preview of .TIFF phase files under preview on mac..
BIG giant pixeled icon and image..
Not sure why Phase took over iView if their very own images cannot even be view properly???
What gives?
Snook
I always loved Iview for viewing old images to throw out and make quick selections to make more space on those old HD's sitting around..
Works great with canon files...
The P30 files are not viewable for use for anything...
Snook
PS. Thanks for your post but why would it be the case??

Doug Peterson

• http://www.doug-peterson.com
« Reply #33 on: June 08, 2010, 07:03:00 pm »

Quote from: Snook
Although I appreciate your post not sure if you helped..
It is impoossible to see if the images are focused or not. Cannot even see if the person has their eyes open or not..
It is like the preview of .TIFF phase files under preview on mac..
BIG giant pixeled icon and image..
Not sure why Phase took over iView if their very own images cannot even be view properly???
What gives?
Snook
I always loved Iview for viewing old images to throw out and make quick selections to make more space on those old HD's sitting around..
Works great with canon files...
The P30 files are not viewable for use for anything...
Snook
PS. Thanks for your post but why would it be the case??

iView / Expression Media does not currently support the actual raw file format of any Phase back. What you are saying (as stated above) is the tiny tiny low resolution embedded preview.

It's very logical to assume that a top priority at Phase One for the team taking over Expression Media will be to greatly increase and expand compatibility with Phase One and Leaf raw files and compatibility/integration with Capture One. That's not something that happens the day they acquire it, and I would expect several months (minimum) before you see anything substantial come from the acquisition.

What is clear is that if your goal is to create a program which extends the excellent acquisition and processing of Capture One into an ecosystem which supports high-end cataloging functions in a way which is targeted to professionals that this is much more easily accomplished by acquiring a program which is already greatly respected for that function (especially 2-3 years ago before Microsoft allowed it to languish) and build from there, rather than starting from complete scratch.

I tried to make it very clear in my post that the excitement of this post is NOT what is available TODAY but that Phase One clearly understands the need for such an extension of functionality of Capture One (cataloging, metadata, management) and wants to do it in a way different than LightRoom or Aperture which combine all features/user-interfaces into one program.

Doug Peterson
Newsletter: Read Latest or Sign Up
RSS Feed: Subscribe
Buy Capture One at 10% off
Personal Work

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up