Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How do I bring out Blocked Shadow detail?  (Read 3765 times)

Tom H.

How do I bring out Blocked Shadow detail?
« on: May 24, 2010, 02:30:19 pm »

I've found when softproofing some images, the shadow detail blocks up right away.
While this is not as big a problem when processing out of ACR (or any other RAW processor), I find it tougher in Photoshop (which is where I print from and compare the softproofed image to the original).

The levels function brings up the shadows, but also the rest of the image. If I isolate the areas with the shadows and work them, the photo looks unnatural.

Any standard workflow that can unblock shadow detail and still leave the rest of the image somehow intact?

Many thanks in advance.

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2010, 02:55:20 pm »

Right from Camera Raw I recommend pre-visualizing what the soft-prooed image may look like. You know before you start that more shadow detail will be plugged on paper than on your display. The best place to correct that is to begin in either Lightroom or Camera Raw by shifting the Fill slider to the right until the shadow detail opens up, and then shifting the Blacks slider a bit to the right to restore some contrast. By then, when you open in the image in Photoshop you will have a good starting point. Once in Photoshop there are other techniques for further opening shadows while providing for decent contrast. You may wish to look at my article here: You'd be surprised and here:Mark D Segal.com Essays, where there is one on luminosity blending and another on "deep shade".
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

Alan Goldhammer

• A Goldhammer Photography
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2010, 03:54:52 pm »

Mark,

Thanks for these two references.  I've got a problem similar to the one you solved and this will help.

cheers,

Alan

jerryrock

• The Grove Street Photographer
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2010, 07:04:24 pm »

Have you tried the Shadows/Highlights Tool under Image/Adjustments in Photoshop?
Gerald J Skrocki

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2010, 10:49:21 pm »

Quote from: Alan Goldhammer
Mark,

Thanks for these two references.  I've got a problem similar to the one you solved and this will help.

cheers,

Alan
Hope it works for you Alan, thanks.

Mark

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2010, 10:52:01 pm »

Quote from: jerryrock
Have you tried the Shadows/Highlights Tool under Image/Adjustments in Photoshop?

He can always try S/H of course, but he won't get the quality of outcomes shown in the techniques I provided - that's why I worked them up.

Tom H.

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2010, 11:22:36 pm »

Quote from: Mark D Segal
He can always try S/H of course, but he won't get the quality of outcomes shown in the techniques I provided - that's why I worked them up.

Mark,

Thanks for the above links. will give this a try. will also anticipate a little more in the Raw processing.

Too bad one could not print out of ACR, or other software RAW converters - or are those that can?

Josh-H

• Wild Nature Photo Travel
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2010, 11:24:37 pm »

Quote from: Tom H.
Mark,

Thanks for the above links. will give this a try. will also anticipate a little more in the Raw processing.

Too bad one could not print out of ACR, or other software RAW converters - or are those that can?

You can print a RAW file from Lightroom or from DPP.
Wild Nature Photo Travel

Tom H.

« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2010, 01:08:53 am »

Quote from: Josh-H
You can print a RAW file from Lightroom or from DPP.

But not out of ACR, correct. I do not have Lightroom.

DaveRichardson

« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2010, 06:15:55 pm »

Tom,
Just a thought. If you are printing and softproofing using the Relative Colormetric rendering intent, make sure you have Black Point Compensation on. This will ensure that the blacks do not block below the deepest black your printer can print by applying a slight curve at the bottom end. If printing with perceptual rendering intent it should make no difference.

Dave

DesW

« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2010, 06:54:25 pm »

Quote from: Tom H.
Any standard workflow that can unblock shadow detail and still leave the rest of the image somehow intact?

Many thanks in advance.

Hi, I find using the Apply Image as pic attached to give me satisfactory results without unnatural artifacts appearing when opening up shadows-particularly with high ISO files.

Good Luck,

DesW

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2010, 07:08:15 pm »

Yes, that also works well - the main factor being the "Screen" blend mode with reduced opacity to moderate the effect. This brings to mind that one can also use a Curves Adjustment Layer in Screen blend mode, providing yet more control not only by adjusting the opacity of the layer, but also the shape of the curve.
Pages: [1]   Go Up